Thread: Need help with Mono vision and wearing Rx Goggles

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Crier Need help with Mono vision and wearing Rx Goggles

I have a pt. that's semi elderly, OK i'm not gonna lie he's 86. Within 2013 he had Cataract surgery with IOL, Gave him a mono vision. This patient plays Racquetball and wears Protective goggles. He came to me to fill his goggles for SV Distance. While dispensing the goggles he mentions that he see's max distance perfectly clear. When he returned to me he says that while playing racquetball, all up close action with the ball gets double vision. I've tried adjusting the Current RX with intermediate PD's In SV DIGITAL & then Traditional and that didnt help. I've tried adjusting both eyes for intermediate Rx and that changes the clarity for the ball in the distance, or distance in general is obviously slightly not as good with his natural eyes. We even tweaked his reading mono eye (OS) for the best rx clarity which he says works the best thus far, but still creates a similarity to double vision up close. he is 20/15 (OD) and near that (OS) but not quite.... Are there any suggestions out there? anyone have a similar issue they have fixed before? My current intuition tells me that i should try a (ZEISS office lens -ROOM) But even then I'm not sure how that will work with the focal areas being in stationary points in the lens, According to how he uses his head playing.... He wants to call it quits and I suggested i try getting advice from the OptiBoard

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Surgical monovision is dicey, IMHO (Ilan Hartstein notwithstanding).

Firstly, he's probably best off with no Rx for this application. It's the "best of the worst" solution.

Secondly, the only other thing to try is to reduce the monovision effect. If the monovision is typical, it's about a +1.00 add. You can try to reduce it to a +0.50 add. This may require a new Rx, of course, or at least a phone call to the prescriber. Trial frame it, first.

If he's not too crotchety, MF SCLs may work, too.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    drk- thanks for your reply. The initial Rx was for set so both eyes have the same distance ability, For a sv rx only. ive adjusted his reading eye distance rx a couple ways. The new Rx is not an issue my optical dispensary resides in his Ophthalmology office that he's been seen at. He told me specifically that he wont try contacts because he is to old

Occupation
    Optometrist
    How about setting the goggles so he has a +0.50 add monovision?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Surgical monovision is dicey, IMHO (Ilan Hartstein notwithstanding).

Firstly, he's probably best off with no Rx for this application. It's the "best of the worst" solution.
    This was my first thought as well. If they are only worn n the court, he may be easiest able to adapt to just the protective aspect with no RX.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    @ drk @ opty4062. I can see how he might benefit from the +.50, Ill see how that works out. thanks

Thread Information