Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ClearlyContacts being bought for $445M by Essilor.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper you have not much choice to not support them..........................

You will never stop using Essilor products.

It is not just Coastal Canada, they own they own a minimum of about 14 on-line websites in different countries.

They own a lot of optical manufacturing companies that still run under their previous name and show no Essilor ownership.

Essilor manufactures top notch optical goods in lenses, frames and optical machinery. So you have not much choice to not support them.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

It is not just Coastal Canada, they own they own a minimum of about 14 on-line websites in different countries.

They own a lot of optical manufacturing companies that still run under their previous name and show no Essilor ownership.

Essilor manufactures top notch optical goods in lenses, frames and optical machinery. So you have not much choice to not support them.
    Did I need to be more specific? We do not use any Essilor brands as much as we have the ability to. We don't sell Essilor branded products. If Essilor owns or has ownership in SOMO lenses that we sometimes use for stock lenses that's not the point. Pretty sure everyone here is on the same page here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I use Hoya products for surfaced and Centennial Optical for uncuts. Does Essilor own Hoya or Centennial Optical Chris?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper So you are ignoring them and that is your right

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

I use Hoya products for surfaced and Centennial Optical for uncuts. Does Essilor own Hoya or Centennial Optical Chris?

So you are ignoring them and that is your right to do so, and say so. However actual participation on OptiBoard by Canadians seems to be very limited. Would be interesting to hear more comments.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Almost everybody sell online.......

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Essilor, Zeiss, Nikon, Shamir, they all sell lenses online. Hoya are not there yet.

Occupation

Looking back 1 year ................................

Essilor eyes developing markets with $430M purchase of Clearly Contacts

Essilor International is eyeing a rapid expansion into developing markets over the next few years and the recently approved $430-million friendly takeover of Canada's Coastal.com will help it reach that objective, says the head of the company's North American operations.

France-based Essilor, the world's largest maker of prescription eyewear, estimates that almost half of the world's population in need of vision correction — or about 2.5 billion people — do not have access to contact lenses or glasses.

And that's why it anticipates the most growth for the company will be in countries like China, Brazil, India and Indonesia, where there is strong demand but not necessarily availability.

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/essilor....l9Zi45Z3.dpuf

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    It's rather humorous to me that although they never made a nickel in profit, Essilor would shell out a whopping $445M for simply volume market share and no profitability. Wonder if they can successfully spin it into a profitable stage while retaining their ECP client base?
    I would hazard a guess that we three O’s know very little about high corporate finance. Many big companies continue to buy unprofitable businesses for many reasons… future tax deductibilities, increasing market share, elimination of competition, etc.
    Mega companies have also developed specific strategies to avoid hostile takeovers of their operations by many means… taking on massive amounts of debt, issuing corporate poison pills, share buybacks, increasing stock dividends to keep share price high… anything to help keep hostile corporate raiders at bay.
    And with the potential for inexpensive eyeglass sales in 3rd world countries, I am sure E’s buying of CC will pay off over time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    I am sure E’s buying of CC will pay off over time.
    maybe it already has....since the cc purchase, E's stock price has shot up quite a bit......

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What was it worth to have a legalized base of operations in Canada, as well as government regulatory co-operation to break down the dispensing laws ?

Occupation

Blue Jumper Experience, learning scale..........

Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post

What was it worth to have a legalized base of operations in Canada, as well as government regulatory co-operation to break down the dispensing laws ?

Expierience, learning scale.................. for use elsewhere around the globe

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Expierience, learning scale.................. for use elsewhere around the globe
    I was told verbally in person by their top dog that the Canadian market due to it's size, uniqueness and diversity is their testing ground for all other global markets.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was told verbally in person by their top dog that the Canadian market due to it's size, uniqueness and diversity is their testing ground for all other global markets.
    translation = how to drive a bulldozer through regulations

Occupation
    translation = how to drive a bulldozer through regulations
    When one has 78% market share and is the largest financial supporter to these associations and regulators for their own survival, seems more of a conflict of interest to me. Good ole fashioned politics at its finest.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    and the largest Canadian political power house is ?

Occupation
    and the largest Canadian political power house is ?
    Figure it out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Figure it out.
    It doesn't start with an "e"

Thread Information