Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ClearlyContacts being bought for $445M by Essilor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab Insight View Post
    Perhaps they will get noticed from E.
    I certainly hope so cuz the owner of VisionTech Niagara drives an old Honda and needs an auto upgrade IMHO.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    [Didn't E just beat out Zeiss for the Centennial contract? Centennial has a private label frame (i.e. frame/LENS package) program that is marketed as a competitive advantage to reduce walk-outs (timely email promo a day after the E-CC anouncement). If this is so, even if you are trying to compete with the E-CC with this private label you end up, perhaps unknowingly, using E lenses. If contact lenses are any indication, any advantage to private labeling of lenses, typically does not last as eventually other retailers and the public discover that it is the same as other branded products anyway.[/QUOTE]

To clarify Centennial is a wholesale distributor for Zeiss...BUT is a partner in Riverside which was recently purchased by Essilor...

Western/WestLab with their economical Superflex frame/lens packages is Essilor.
    Last edited by NorthStar; 03-18-2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: new info re: Riverside/Centennial

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Thanks Chris. I disagree.. ................................

Quote Originally Posted by school View Post

Thanks Chris. I disagree..

Essilor has used the profits earned from us, and then it appears that they now in Direct competition. I am not concerned about competition, but Fair competition.

It is a clear conflict for all of us vendors in the rest of Canada to follow the business model that CC has. We cannot compete. Period. If the playing field was level I myself would be much less angry.

In business I have learned the hard way that competition is never fair. Your competition down the street may be fair, but when they are armed with the latest canons, tanks and fighter planes, and know that you dont have any of them, they do not have to care about fairness.

In the 1960's and 70s in Europe, all the large companies as Zeiss, Rodenstock, Essilor and the major frame companies would refuse to sell to a discount optician who usually had their office on the 2nd floor of a building, because of cheaper rent. This was done as per agreement between the optical associations and the manufacturers. So the dicounters could not obtain brand name products.

On this continent such agreements could never be attained at any time. The stronger and not the better one just wins. Any manufacurer here would just dream of selling to big onliners.

Opticians here have enjoyed all the advertising done towards the consumer by Essilor for many years, who in MHO has always had the best and most efficiient advertising towards the public for their products and saved many retail opticals lot of money by helping to support their business.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    In business I have learned the hard way that competition is never fair. Your competition down the street may be fair, but when they are armed with the latest canons, tanks and fighter planes, and know that you dont have any of them, they do not have to care about fairness.

In the 1960's and 70s in Europe, all the large companies as Zeiss, Rodenstock, Essilor and the major frame companies would refuse to sell to a discount optician who usually had their office on the 2nd floor of a building, because of cheaper rent. This was done as per agreement between the optical associations and the manufacturers. So the dicounters could not obtain brand name products.

On this continent such agreements could never be attained at any time. The stronger and not the better one just wins. Any manufacurer here would just dream of selling to big onliners.

Opticians here have enjoyed all the advertising done towards the consumer by Essilor for many years, who in MHO has always had the best and most efficiient advertising towards the public for their products and saved many retail opticals lot of money by helping to support their business.
    More reason to boycott the evil empire people! Don't just sit there with your heads in the sand....take a stand for once and move your practice in a positive direction. Switching clients/patients out of their brands has never been so easy believe me.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post

More reason to boycott the evil empire people! Don't just sit there with your heads in the sand....take a stand for once and move your practice in a positive direction. Switching clients/patients out of their brands has never been so easy believe me.

That seems to be a good point. How would you initiate a boycott ?

However how are you going to convince the consumer NOT to go online and
    make his order there ?
    Essilor has always and forever stood on the side of good quality. I could probably bet that if they buy out a company they will make all necessary efforts to provide good or better service where needed.

How are you going to reverse the consumers mind not to purchase on line ? I have spent quite some time on the internet to find any reason how to change the consumers mind to drive to a store park the car and purchase an item when he can get it on line without deplacement and not even being charged for delivery. Are we not fighting a new system that is being helped by a poorly going economy ?

If the opticial retail would be properly regulated and properly enforced, it might be a simple matter of shutting off the supply of online glasses, but there are no indications that this is happening.

So where do we we go from here ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    This is an interesting remark. LET'S BOYCOTT.... I have a list of all the email addys (in Canada) of a certain large optical and I would bet that if I look carefully and took the time, I would find many of the people spouting out aginst this company, that are actually buying big time from them. If not and truly everyone on this list went INDEPENDENT LAB there would have so much business Indy's they could not handle it all. But remember this same optical company owns most of the brand name lenses on the market. So we would all have to turn to generic lenses from Indy labs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    This is an interesting remark. LET'S BOYCOTT.... I have a list of all the email addys (in Canada) of a certain large optical and I would bet that if I look carefully and took the time, I would find many of the people spouting out aginst this company, that are actually buying big time from them. If not and truly everyone on this list went INDEPENDENT LAB there would have so much business Indy's they could not handle it all. But remember this same optical company owns most of the brand name lenses on the market. So we would all have to turn to generic lenses from Indy labs.
    Well let me chime in here. I have drastically reduced my purchases of E products down to a trickle. So I know you're not speaking about me.
    I wish more independents did the same.
    Perhaps it's all lip service with a lot of ECP's. A lot still buy Lux and by doing so fund their competition.
    I deal with an independent lab which has access to name brand lenses which work wonderfully.
    I give them all the business I can.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fantastic, there is the start of something good.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that some of the members here need a refresher on the Optiboard Posting Guidelines.

Specifically:

Please do not use OptiBoard to conduct a personal vendetta against any company or individual. This will not be tolerated and these posts will be removed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I think that some of the members here need a refresher on the Optiboard Posting Guidelines.

Specifically:

Please do not use OptiBoard to conduct a personal vendetta against any company or individual. This will not be tolerated and these posts will be removed.
    OMG! They've bribed Fezz!
    Say it isn't so! lol

Occupation

Redhot Jumper It is now the time to plan ahead, not cry of the past ...............................

Just do not forget that Canada is the testing ground for the worldwide domination of some of the largest corporations in any field.

Boykotting such corporations will never work as their sales net is already set up that there is, that what you not buy from them, they will sell through other channels. They employ planners and thinkers. They also act and not just talk.

Here on Optiboard it is mostly talk under an anonymous name often against someone with a real name. If more OB posters would use their real ID they would be more carefull but would also carry more weight with their opinions.

I have seen a downturn coming for quite some time and have watched all the developments on the web scene, and also made posts on it over the last many years, and was laughed off by many psoters here. It is all on record here.

But I have also followed my own advice to counter a downturn in the economy and my commerce, in the fast development of the internet and the reach it has. As a manufacturer and seller I have worked hard to find new ways to sell my products and have seen a nice upturn of sales of products that also could be used in other commercial areas. So thanks to the internet some of the stuff we make has made it into most of the cars worldwide, into electronic manufacuring in many countries, as well as commercial airplanes and other government owned industries overseas.

So the optical retail insdustry has to live with what is coming at them at full speed, by planning and acting, not to prevent or punish what can not be done, but by planning ahead to make the best of a situation that can and will not be changed

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    I have any comparable (even better) product they have. Capacity for us to supply uncuts is not an issue. I've picked up 4 new clients this weeks that have had enough of the empire and ready to deal with a supplier that supports them fully.

The day of the independent isn't dead - we're looking at expansion for the spring.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    In Quebec Essilor is strong for now but ODs are not idiots there. Giving Rx to Px so they can go on the net and buy from Essilor direct should , down the road , trigger the alarm to most independent ODs in Quebec... I already got in contact with Hoya and opened the communication line... They have better AR coating than Essilor IMO. It's now clear in my mind Essilor has entered the retail market and wants to compete with all of us. I guess they feel we have no other option but keep doing business with them and therfore feeding them in two ways... I spoke to a top ranked person at Essilor a few days ago; it was like listening to a politician... When I finished the conversation, I came to the conclusion they might promote eyecare on their website (Clearly Contacts) and tell Px to keep going to us for exams BUT they will cash in on the sales they do on the net without any remorse... It makes me sad to think I supported a company like that for so long and now they do this kind of move. Not long ago, I remember being told by Essilor they are supporting independent ODs and are NOT interested in retail! Like the song goes " And the times they are A-changin' " !!!
    Last edited by djal; 05-03-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Boycott is an ugly word and the call to boycott is not allowed on OptiBoard. Ever.

The smart move is to take time to evaluate your purchasing decisions. Where are you spending your money and what are you receiving in return? What do your patients expect to receive in terms of value and service? It's about time that ECPs begin thinking for themselves rather than relying on slick marketing and a free lunch. There are no free lunches. There never were.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by djal View Post
    In Quebec Essilor is strong for now but ODs are not idiots there. Giving Rx to Px so they can go on the net and buy from Essilor direct should , down the road , trigger the alarm to most independent ODs in Quebec... I already got in contact with Hoya and opened the communication line... They have better AR coating than Essilor IMO. It's now clear in my mind Essilor has entered the retail market and wants to compete with all of us. I guess they feel we have no other option but keep doing business with them and therfore feeding them in two ways... I spoke to a top ranked person at Essilor a few days ago; it was like listening to a politician... When I finished the conversation, I came to the conclusion they might promote eyecare on their website (Clearly Contacts) and tell Px to keep going to us for exams BUT they will cash in on the sales they do on the net without any remorse... It makes me sad to think I supported a company like that for so long and now they do this kind of move. Not long ago, I remember being told by Essilor they are supporting independent ODs and are NOT interested in retail!
    I remember those times too. My Essilor rep was excellent and called our relationship a partnership. That was 15 years ago however.
    One thing I would like to point out is that Essilor is lacking in lens technology. I even had a client in a few weeks ago who did his own research and didn't want any Essilor progressives as they were perceived as not being current technology.
    I will take a Hoya IDMystle lens against anything Essilor can throw at us and win every time.
    Tell your collegues to come on in and make the switch.....the waters fine!

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Djal

I have cut them out and will reduce Nikon a lot as well. This is to the benefit of Hoya and Zeiss. This is not a boycott, it is nothing personal. Strictly business.
    I've given them a very large piece of business (for my size) over the years and this is a massive betrayal of ECPs, no matter what the spin doctors tell you. They do not give a hoot about us, and now the feeling is entirely mutual.
    There are plenty of NON-E products out there, that are as good or better, and you do not need them in order to serve your clients the best.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    Djal

I have cut them out and will reduce Nikon a lot as well. This is to the benefit of Hoya and Zeiss. This is not a boycott, it is nothing personal. Strictly business.
    I've given them a very large piece of business (for my size) over the years and this is a massive betrayal of ECPs, no matter what the spin doctors tell you. They do not give a hoot about us, and now the feeling is entirely mutual.
    There are plenty of NON-E products out there, that are as good or better, and you do not need them in order to serve your clients the best.
    I agree... I have learned over the years that the optical "world" is driven by the law of the jungle! This sad episode just reinforce my belief.

Essilor who was advocating good vision and professional services will sell eyeglasses to people who will take, by themselves, their PD and pupil height and wear their eyeglasses without any sort of final adjustment!! I (we) could see this coming though... don't forget they have been the #1 provider for Costco for years... I kept telling my rep I felt this was a form a prostitution on their part... now, more or less, it is simply the straw that broke the camel's back as far as i'm concerned!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by djal View Post
    I agree... I have learned over the years that the optical "world" is driven by the law of the jungle! This sad episode just reinforce my belief.

Essilor who was advocating good vision and professional services will sell eyeglasses to people who will take, by themselves, their PD and pupil height and wear their eyeglasses without any sort of final adjustment!! I (we) could see this coming though... don't forget they have been the #1 provider for Costco for years... I kept telling my rep I felt this was a form a prostitution on their part... now, more or less, it is simply the straw that broke the camel's back as far as i'm concerned!!
    Previously when I was giving my Essilor Lab less work and the manager asked me if I was slow I told him that I was busy and that I had great news. The news was that I am doing and going to be doing alot less business with Essilor. He asked me how that was great news and I answered that I thought he'd be estatic about it because it would give them more time to sell lenses to Costco.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The Doc that hired me to help open her new practice never even considered Essilor to be her lab specifically because of the CC deal.

Occupation

never even considered Essilor to be her lab .....................................

Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post

The Doc that hired me to help open her new practice never even considered Essilor to be her lab specifically because of the CC deal.

Nice thought, ..............but a bit late. There are not many independents left in the lab area that count. and E will soon start eliminating and take over B&M stores. The older guy's might remember
    that Canada was once an optical Imperium owned to about 30% by Imperial Optical of Toronto.

Looks like these days are coming back to haunt us under anther name.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Nice thought, ..............but a bit late. There are not many independents left in the lab area that count. and E will soon start eliminating and take over B&M stores. The older guy's might remember
    that Canada was once an optical Imperium owned to about 30% by Imperial Optical of Toronto.

Looks like these days are coming back to haunt us under anther name.
    Essilor can only buy things that people are willing to sell.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with this statement but as it was posted earlier, if you own a lab and you are 60 years old and someone waves a whack of money under your nose perhaps you would bite too!

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    I agree with this statement but as it was posted earlier, if you own a lab and you are 60 years old and someone waves a whack of money under your nose perhaps you would bite too!

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Possibly, as was the case with a lab here. There are at least a couple family owned labs that want to stay family owned.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Essilor can only buy things that people are willing to sell. ........................

Yes ...................but many are also strapped for funds and then become willing to sell. They have purchased quite a few labs which they then closed down after the purchase.

Occupation
    Yes ...................but many are also strapped for funds and then become willing to sell. They have purchased quite a few labs which they then closed down after the purchase.
    Any lab they don't own that has any local/regional marketshare is appealing to them for purchase. It's two fold everytime - the purchase gives them additional marketshare and gets rid of a competitor. It is really that simple. For them to write a cheque for 500K or 700K for a little guy is pocket change.

Thread Information