Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ClearlyContacts being bought for $445M by Essilor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Clearly Essilor has thrown down the gauntlet here.
    I have never purchased a Luxottica frame and I'm still going strong after 20 years as an independent.
    As for progressives we do very well using Hoya lenses from VisionTech. We had a new client from a local OD's office in looking for new glasses (local OD didn't have anything she like). We were able to give her Hoya Mystyle ID lenses that are totally customized for the same price as her Physio lenses she's wearing currently. A custom product for the same price as a cookie cutter product. Hmmmmmmm.
    Instead of selling Interview lenses, sell Hoya Tact or Seiko PC Wide.

There are a lot of great products out there and Essilor has given every ECP the best reason in the world to seek them out.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I own 10 offices, but my business is not even measurable on their scope. Not even a blip.

The only one thinking the flea's kick will be noticed is the flea.
    Yes that is true if there is no general change in the buying habits of operations like mine. They have crossed a big red line in my own small world and I believe I am not alone. But who knows, maybe this will turn out to be a genius move for them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    Yes that is true if there is no general change in the buying habits of operations like mine. They have crossed a big red line in my own small world and I believe I am not alone. But who knows, maybe this will turn out to be a genius move for them.
    I am not trying to be flippant, but why now?

Why does this move cross a big red line and so many of their other moves didn't?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It is a fair question, not flippant at all.

Until now I have been focused on our own growth and running our shops optimally. We take a position in the market with our offers, have been pro active and for 3 years running have double digit growth. E has been a major supplier, but by no means exclusive. We buy from independents and the other guys, including hoya. Actually going and buying (optical) public enemy #1 is, to me, a big statement by E. After having focused mostly on our sales growth and marketing, it is now time to take a hard look at the purchasing side of the picture - which I am now doing with greater attention. For me this is a tipping point.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Clearly Essilor has thrown down the gauntlet here.
    I have never purchased a Luxottica frame and I'm still going strong after 20 years as an independent.
    As for progressives we do very well using Hoya lenses from VisionTech. We had a new client from a local OD's office in looking for new glasses (local OD didn't have anything she like). We were able to give her Hoya Mystyle ID lenses that are totally customized for the same price as her Physio lenses she's wearing currently. A custom product for the same price as a cookie cutter product. Hmmmmmmm.

There are a lot of great products out there and Essilor has given every ECP the best reason in the world to seek them out.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    +1

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is a fair question, not flippant at all.

Until now I have been focused on our own growth and running our shops optimally. We take a position in the market with our offers, have been pro active and for 3 years running have double digit growth. E has been a major supplier, but by no means exclusive. We buy from independents and the other guys, including hoya. Actually going and buying (optical) public enemy #1 is, to me, a big statement by E. After having focused mostly on our sales growth and marketing, it is now time to take a hard look at the purchasing side of the picture - which I am now doing with greater attention. For me this is a tipping point.

I understand your position and viewpoint much better now. Thank you!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    [QUOTE=HindSight2020;480185] Vision-Ease is just about on their last breath in Canada and also just a blank manufacturer.QUOTE

Not sure where you get your information on this, probably from one of their competitors, but I beg to differ. And I guess it's all in one's perspective, but all of the companies you mention were at one time "JUST a blank manufacturer". Isn't that what a truly independent lens manufacturer would be, one that made lenses that you offer your customers/patients through a distributor lab? Vision-Ease doesn't have a lab, doesn't sell to consumers on the Internet, doesn't have retail stores (hello, Signet Armorlite and Essilor), doesn't own lab equipment and supplies, doesn't have exlusivity deals with distributors or labs in Canada where prices could be controlled, and has very high quality lenses. So tell me then what you're looking for in an "independent" lens company, because to me that's what they are. And if they truly are "on their last breath", then perhaps it's the reason the others are no longer independent.

Occupation
    [QUOTE=OIC;480261]
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    Vision-Ease is just about on their last breath in Canada and also just a blank manufacturer.QUOTE

Not sure where you get your information on this, probably from one of their competitors, but I beg to differ. And I guess it's all in one's perspective, but all of the companies you mention were at one time "JUST a blank manufacturer". Isn't that what a truly independent lens manufacturer would be, one that made lenses that you offer your customers/patients through a distributor lab? Vision-Ease doesn't have a lab, doesn't sell to consumers on the Internet, doesn't have retail stores (hello, Signet Armorlite and Essilor), doesn't own lab equipment and supplies, doesn't have exlusivity deals with distributors or labs in Canada where prices could be controlled, and has very high quality lenses. So tell me then what you're looking for in an "independent" lens company, because to me that's what they are. And if they truly are "on their last breath", then perhaps it's the reason the others are no longer independent.
    Respectfully, with the new technology blank manufacturers (other than SMSF) are no longer a part of the supply chain. One such company needs to have a lab and provide services also to survive now a days.

There are many independent labs out there still that will gladly provide quality house brand or private label lenses with comparable quality at a fraction of the price.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The "line" was crossed a long time ago for me, which is why I find this move to be no more alarming than any other...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    Most of us are busy with no time to read a 105 page document. Spill the cole's version! Or perhaps you haven't even read it.
    If the company could have supplied a Coles Notes Version , I think it would have. It didn't. The company thought it prudent to supply only this level. I am not about to argue with its decision or works or delete the detail .

If in your negativity, you wish to dismiss the company's published discussion of itself, that is your choice and not surprising considering your consistent desire to dismiss the effectiveness of a market changer valued at $ 445,000,000.00

It is interesting though that you would spend so much time dismissing the company, but devote no time to its own discussion of itself and its own weaknesses.
    Last edited by idispense; 03-01-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lensguy View Post
    idispense,

please enlighten us with the coles notes version. Not sure I can navigate all that?

I hope you are not pinning the hope of legislative changes to stop CC? It was a pipe dream..........

If the company, in its own published discussion of its own risks of doing business and weaknesses, should devote considerable discussion to the matter of regulation then it is for all regulatory membership to decide why membership chose to not oblige the seriousness of the company fears.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    If the company could have supplied a Coles Notes Version , I think it would have. It didn't. The company thought it prudent to supply only this level. I am not about to argue with its decision or works or delete the detail .

If in your negativity, you wish to dismiss the company's published discussion of itself, that is your choice and not surprising considering your consistent desire to dismiss the effectiveness of a market changer valued at $ 445,000,000.00

It is interesting though that you would spend so much time dismissing the company, but devote no time to its own discussion of itself and its own weaknesses.
    So you haven't really read it then - that's what I figured.

Who's being negative? Certainly not me. If you recall, I've said for the past couple of years this acquisition would happen and it was you that said it wouldn't ever transpire. Then always tried to hijack the thread, wag the dog and bring the colleges or shareholders into it. Guess what? It happened.

Don't be so flip floppy hypocritical and pick a side man.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    If the company, in its own published discussion of its own risks of doing business and weaknesses, should devote considerable discussion to the matter of regulation then it is for all regulatory membership to decide why membership chose to not oblige the seriousness of the company fears.
    ?????????
    Last edited by HindSight2020; 03-02-2014 at 10:17 AM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I suspect E will be further increasing their financial support of the ECP associations, perhaps to soften the backlash. Would not be surprised to see another big E advertorial in the ECP association publications, and journals emphasizing how they support the independent optician or optometrist - depending on the publication.

Essilor's president even had a seat in the Future of optometry panel at the CAO optometric leaders meeting this past January. I would only think that how ECP's are to compete with online retailers was one of the major concerns discussed.

Didn't E just beat out Zeiss for the Centennial contract? Centennial has a private label frame (i.e. frame/LENS package) program that is marketed as a competitive advantage to reduce walk-outs (timely email promo a day after the E-CC anouncement). If this is so, even if you are trying to compete with the E-CC with this private label you end up, perhaps unknowingly, using E lenses. If contact lenses are any indication, any advantage to private labeling of lenses, typically does not last as eventually other retailers and the public discover that it is the same as other branded products anyway.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    I suspect E will be further increasing their financial support of the ECP associations, perhaps to soften the backlash. Would not be surprised to see another big E advertorial in the ECP association publications, and journals emphasizing how they support the independent optician or optometrist - depending on the publication.

Essilor's president even had a seat in the Future of optometry panel at the CAO optometric leaders meeting this past January. I would only think that how ECP's are to compete with online retailers was one of the major concerns discussed.

Didn't E just beat out Zeiss for the Centennial contract? Centennial has a private label frame (i.e. frame/LENS package) program that is marketed as a competitive advantage to reduce walk-outs (timely email promo a day after the E-CC anouncement). If this is so, even if you are trying to compete with the E-CC with this private label you end up, perhaps unknowingly, using E lenses. If contact lenses are any indication, any advantage to private labeling of lenses, typically does not last as eventually other retailers and the public discover that it is the same as other branded products anyway.
    Essilor and Centennial now? You have a news link?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is an interesting read for anyone interested in the risks facing this onliner:

http://secfilings.nasdaq.com/filingF...21%2F2014&pdf=

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Something I was told over a month ago when discussing the recent E acquisitions. I plan to confirm with different sources. I need to know who I am supporting; I stopped dealing with E long ago.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How do you add a full size in line image without thumbnail ?
    Last edited by idispense; 03-02-2014 at 05:17 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper They know what they are doing .......................................................

I think they have overpaid for this thing and this could be a tipping point..................... We'll see.

Knowing what I know...................they have not overpaid by one cent.

Essilor is always planning and calculating everything way ahead, and has always done so and they also have succeded most of the time.

They plan on a global basis and not just Canada or the USA. As these are the messiest grounds, world wide in the matter of regulations and politics, it is also the best testing grounds for further developments.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper Nice post ......................................

Hmmmmmmm.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Nice post ......................................

However you are talking to a concrete wall, because everybody is on its own, and if the corporation gives them a better discount they will be back with them the next minute.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Nice post ......................................

However you are talking to a concrete wall, because everybody is on its own, and if the corporation gives them a better discount they will be back with them the next minute.
    Thanks Chris but I don't think Essilor or anyone can touch the product, service and month-end discount that I get from VisionTech Labs Niagara located in St. Catherines.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks Chris. I disagree.. Essilor has used the profits earned from us, and then it appears that they now in Direct competition. I am not concerned about competition, but Fair competition. It is a clear conflict for all of us vendors in the rest of Canada to follow the business model that CC has. We cannot compete. Period. If the playing field was level I myself would be much less angry.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What the next step is going to for this E & CC giant company? Purchasing chain stores to cover all optical business; online and physical stores!!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Something I was told over a month ago when discussing the recent E acquisitions. I plan to confirm with different sources. I need to know who I am supporting; I stopped dealing with E long ago.
    I've heard the same thing - I believe you may be correct on this. When I brought it up recently with the 'C' rep, the instant facial reaction followed by amnesia said it all.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thanks Chris but I don't think Essilor or anyone can touch the product, service and month-end discount that I get from VisionTech Labs Niagara located in St. Catherines.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Perhaps they will get noticed from E.

Thread Information