Thread: Silhouette Frames

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Silhouette Frames

Random rant on a lousy winter Fri @ work. I'd prefer snow to fog and cold rain with slush everywhere. Don't even remember what color my truck is. It's been road salt white for months.

OK. Official optical rant begins:

Why do Silhouette demo lenses ALWAYS come out of the box so damn dusty?

And why is their invoice so damn difficult to read quickly. I know, who am I to question the high and mighty Silhouette. But really, a fourteen digit number for each frame? Couldn't they just print model #, size, color. Yea I know it's all included in the fourteen digits. But would it be too much trouble to put a space or a dash between the model, size, color so it would be easier to read as I enter it into the computer. And no labels with SKU's like everybody else in the industry so their frame info for VSP orders has to be entered in manually. And I'm always in such a good mood entering VSP orders to begin with. Can't wait for THAT big check to come in. Thanks VSP! Now Mom can get that operation she needs.

Rant officially over. You may now unbuckle your seat belts and move freely about the cabin.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    Random rant on a lousy winter Fri @ work. I'd prefer snow to fog and cold rain with slush everywhere. Don't even remember what color my truck is. It's been road salt white for months.

And why is their invoice so damn difficult to read quickly. I know, who am I to question the high and mighty Silhouette. But really, a fourteen digit number for each frame? Couldn't they just print model #, size, color. Yea I know it's all included in the fourteen digits. But would it be too much trouble to put a space or a dash between the model, size, color so it would be easier to read as I enter it into the computer. And no labels with SKU's like everybody else in the industry so their frame info for VSP orders has to be entered in manually. And I'm always in such a good mood entering VSP orders to begin with. Can't wait for THAT big check to come in. Thanks VSP! Now Mom can get that operation she needs.

Rant officially over. You may now unbuckle your seat belts and move freely about the cabin.
    The official answer to your question is......Navel lint.
    Eyes wide open

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SKU's come with frame info on the end of the box each frame is shipped in.

We get a peel and stick sku bar code only label (sans info) with each order after we requested it as we are trying to implement an sku scan inventory system but we've found our EMR Logic program is anything but friendly to that and we find it much more efficient to manually enter the data.

No explanation as to dusty sample lenses but how often are you using the samples as opposed to ordering the cheaper(?!) chassis'?

No spaces between the invoice frame info is to save space in the computer. Every little bit helps don't you know (pun intended).

(Yeah the weather does stink! Can't wait til I'm complaining about the heat!!!)
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-21-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That pesky naval lint gets on a lot of frames! MY beef with Silhouettte is that my invoice prices and my statement prices are ALWAYS 1 penny off! What's up with THAT???

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Also, I wish they would just put an S before the shape number and a C before the color number. Why must their system be so intentionally obtuse?
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "No explanation as to dusty sample lenses but how often are you using the samples as opposed to ordering the cheaper(?!) chassis'?"

Not the rimless, we do a lot with the full frame women's plastic.

"Why must their system be so intentionally obtuse?"

I think that happens when you stick your nose up in the air and refuse to look at the common folk down beneath you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Also, I wish they would just put an S before the shape number and a C before the color number. Why must their system be so intentionally obtuse?
    There you go! That IS the biggest problem! I deal with these daily but I still have to THINK REALLY HARD to get the chassis, shape, and color #all correct!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    THIS, oh how I hate figuring that out every dang time.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post
    That pesky naval lint gets on a lot of frames! MY beef with Silhouettte is that my invoice prices and my statement prices are ALWAYS 1 penny off! What's up with THAT???
    The bad news is that in a lot of countries the lowly penny is now obsolete, and some computer programs reflect that...........then again, the Austrians are known to be a penny-pinching lot!
    Eyes wide open

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just sell Lindberg instead.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Why do Silhouette demo lenses ALWAYS ......................................

Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post

And why is their invoice so damn difficult to read quickly. I know, who am I to question the high and mighty Silhouette.
    .....................because they are the last of the real brand name quality frames that carried the name of the company that made them. as Marwitz & Hauser, Metzler, Rodenstock. AOC, Art Craft und so many more.

So much about the name, but I can not guarantee that the dust is from another time span.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    silhouette's dusty lenses PALE IN COMPARISON to the "luxotica dust" which can require a degree in chemical engineering to remove.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why must Silhouette come with such elaborate packaging? Why must they spend so much on stuff that I have no use for, like stacks of counter top pop-ups, wall posters, posters to hang from the ceiling? Elaborate packing and wrapping of their frames. Lord they spend a ton on that kind of stuff and they are not doing it on cheap paper and cardboard. I don't have that kind of room in my office. I do like the frame information that goes into the Silhouette notebook. That is useful stuff.

Put mine in a simple plastic bag with a upc number on it and frame identification, keep all your pop-ups and posters and knock 10% off my statement and I'm good with it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Why must Silhouette come with such elaborate packaging? Why must they spend so much on stuff that I have no use for, like stacks of counter top pop-ups, wall posters, posters to hang from the ceiling? Elaborate packing and wrapping of their frames. Lord they spend a ton on that kind of stuff and they are not doing it on cheap paper and cardboard. I don't have that kind of room in my office. I do like the frame information that goes into the Silhouette notebook. That is useful stuff.

Put mine in a simple plastic bag with a upc number on it and frame identification, keep all your pop-ups and posters and knock 10% off my statement and I'm good with it.
    The manufacturer's see, from their point of view, that many opticals around the world still use/cling to or prefer a display/presentation modality that has outlived its usefulness in an age of tremendous consumer brand awareness.

b

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    The manufacturer's see, from their point of view, that many opticals around the world still use/cling to or prefer a display/presentation modality that has outlived its usefulness in an age of tremendous consumer brand awareness.

b
    I want to look just like that person on the Silhouette poster, how much!? Never mind, just give me the next best thing, and put some of that cizle stuff on it, and don't try and sell me that transmission stuff to make my glasses dark, oh, and I still want to look just like that person on the poster. How much!?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    .....................because they are the last of the real brand name quality frames that carried the name of the company that made them. as Marwitz & Hauser, Metzler, Rodenstock. AOC, Art Craft und so many more.

So much about the name, but I can not guarantee that the dust is from another time span.
    I have some Art-craft and the full frame ones have no demos! They say they don't provide them. I just wish they were hypo-allergenic. They are good for people who want "true vintage".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post

I notice that Silhouette frames arrive in the best of condition, despite the courier's,or postie's best efforts to "skewer, front-end loader jam, and stand on" the packing containing them. They usually appear fresh, and mar free, unlike other factory products that seem to contain,.......toe-nail clippings(exaggeration intended).

The packing materials are made from recycled material, as is the plastic supports, in the case of the minimal art frames.

They win the uncut award for tasteful, effective, and attractive point of sale material..
    Eyes wide open

Thread Information