Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you (or your people) handle this phone call?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How do you (or your people) handle this phone call?

I'm getting a little sick of these...

"Hello, **** Eye Care Associates, how can I help you?"
    "Hi, if I schedule an eye exam, will you give me my PD on my prescription."
    "Well, the PD is not a part of your prescription but we can provide you with that with the purchase of a pair of eyeglasses"
    "Not without?"
    "I'm sorry, we don't provide that. We don't want to be a part of unregulated eyewear purchases."
    "Ok, thanks, goodbye"
    *click*

I've read most of the PD related threads, I think I know where people stand on it, I'm talking specifically about the scenario where you can't even get them in for a little education on the subject. Plus you lose the patient before they even walk in the door.
    Last edited by joptid; 02-18-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by joptid View Post
    " if I schedule an eye exam, will you give me my PD on my prescription? "
    We'd be happy to have you visit with our practice as Dr. XXXX is currently accepting new patients. However, please understand PD's aren't part of the routine exam but once the doctor has finished your exam you will be provided your Rx, if one is applicable of course, and if so you'll be able to meet with our opticians to select your eyewear. Should you complete that purchase we will gladly provide the PD to you as part of that transaction. What works better for you, mornings, afternoon or evening hours?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Sure, I'll even show you what the rx looks like in a trial frame distance and near so you don't return for a free check when the glasses don't work.

End your waste of time cycle in 1 visit.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Sure, I'll even show you what the rx looks like in a trial frame distance and near so you don't return for a free check when the glasses don't work.

End your waste of time cycle in 1 visit.
    I know, I know. But I have to believe SOME of these people can be educated. I just want to get them in the door and a chance to talk to them. I realize some of them are people that, in the end, sadly we don't want, but there have to be some who just haven't experienced quality.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The trial frame is your opportunity to excel or show them you're nothing but a replaceable sales person.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm in mass, PD is required as part of the rx

if patients ask for Pd and state that they will go internet, I keep it short. It's something we all want to try, I ordered three for myself three years ago. I ordered the largest size possible, one was passable, two were miserable. We can't get parts so will only do minimal adjustments

too much info is sour grapes.

if you don't make enough to support the office on exam fees, the fees are too low

harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    "if you don't make enough to support the office on exam fees, the fees are too low"

I think you are correct. I've said here before that we shouldn't give out pd but if fees are adjusted accordingly then why not.
    What about a 2-tiered exam fee structure --- you pay X for an exam if you only want your Rx and PD and do not purchase glasses here (the regular price) and you pay a reduced fee of Y if you do purchase glasses here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    "if you don't make enough to support the office on exam fees, the fees are too low"

I think you are correct. I've said here before that we shouldn't give out pd but if fees are adjusted accordingly then why not.
    What about a 2-tiered exam fee structure --- you pay X for an exam if you only want your Rx and PD and do not purchase glasses here (the regular price) and you pay a reduced fee of Y if you do purchase glasses here.

I'm not sure of the legality of doing it. The practice is considered to be "tied-selling" and is frowned upon, and usually investigated by regulators.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I'm not sure of the legality of doing it. The practice is considered to be "tied-selling" and is frowned upon, and usually investigated by regulators.
    You might be correct, I don't know. It seems to me if you are upfront and crystal clear about the message, it is not really different than a bundle or package price. To me it seems logical and fair. I think "tied selling" means you can only get X if you buy Y.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Well, the PD is not a part of your prescription but we can provide you with that with the purchase of a pair of eyeglasses"
    "Not without?"
    "I'm sorry, we don't provide that. We don't want to be a part of unregulated eyewear purchases."
    "Ok, thanks, goodbye"
    *click*

I've read most of the PD related threads, I think I know where people stand on it, I'm talking specifically about the scenario where you can't even get them in for a little education on the subject. Plus you lose the patient before they even walk in the door.
    I usually follow that question with:

"Have you been lead to believe that you need that to purchase eyewear? If so, you have been misled. It is only one of many measurements that we take when we fabricate eyewear for you." Whoever you choose to fabricate your eyewear is responsible for taking that, and all the other measurements required to make a great fitting, and comfortable vision product."
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You willfully turn away a paying client with the potential to be a life long client? My answer:

" Yes, our doctors are available for an exam. PD measurements are a separate fee. We also offer frame adjustments and Rx verification services for a fee. What time is good for you to set up your appointment?"

When the client is in your chair is the best time to discuss the pitfalls of online ordering, not over the phone. If I wasn't persuasive enough at that time to at least get the lens sale I've left the door open for them to return to my office for future services. Depending on the Rx, there can be a good chance of dis-satisfaction with their online order. I want to be the B&M they return to, not joe blow down the road.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We don't want to be a part of unregulated eyewear purchases."
    That's a really succinct response. I'm stealing it. Maybe add the word "prescription" in there.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    My answer:

" Yes, our doctors are available for an exam. PD measurements are a separate fee. We also offer frame adjustments and Rx verification services for a fee. What time is good for you to set up your appointment?"
    This is great. We charge for the extra work of a CL fitting, and many managed care plans also list some sort of dispensing fee for spectacles. There is no reason not to pass that cost on to the pt. in these cases.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What Optical24/7 said!!!! Perfect, don't turn away, while your measuring the PD that is a great time to educate briefly, especially about the other possible measurements for the perfect pair of glasses.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Optical24/7 is right, this was your chance to show your skills

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You willfully turn away a paying client with the potential to be a life long client? My answer:

When the client is in your chair is the best time to discuss the pitfalls of online ordering, not over the phone. If I wasn't persuasive enough at that time to at least get the lens sale I've left the door open for them to return to my office for future services. Depending on the Rx, there can be a good chance of dis-satisfaction with their online order. I want to be the B&M they return to, not joe blow down the road.
    +1

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

"Not without?"
    "Ok, thanks, goodbye"
    *click*

I would suggest ..............................

This is aan extra measurement for the frame and lens fitting and we charge $ 20.00 to give out the PD.............................However we refund this charge when you purchase the glasses from us where all the needed hands on services and warranties are included.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have not had many phone calls but have seen an increase in people asking for their PD when they see me in optical for their printed prescription. We put together a "waiver" which states that the PD is part of the professional services provided by the optician and if they would like that service without a glasses purchase we charge $20.00. Then we give them a fancy PD form and they understand their is some value in our services. So far it has gone off without anyone batting an eye and our Doctor is satisfied with solution also.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sure! The PD is provided by our optician for a $20 fee after your eye exam.....if they GET that far, then it's time to inform them that if glasses are purchased elsewhere, they can bring them back to have the rx checked and glasses adjusted to fit for $50. Such a deal!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So you lost an eye exam over a PD? Wow!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

+1
    As an employee/optician, I don't want to be a part of the distribution chain. However, you're an OD, what is your concern anyway? You are already a part of the distribution 'cuz they're using your prescribed Rx. Why not the PD too? Seems to me you can get into much deeper do-do with your refraction than a simple PD.
    And I agree with CME4 - you lost an exam over a PD? Wow +1! You state that " I just want to get them in the door and a chance to talk to them." and then blew the best chance you'll ever have!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't set the office policy, I just follow it, but I think if we get more calls like this it's going to have to change.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They quite obviously had intention of purchasing eyewear from your office. You better take what you can get. It's not like they were coming in off the street asking you to measure their PD.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    That's a really succinct response. I'm stealing it. Maybe add the word "prescription" in there.
    Ah, but it is regulated. Whether or not you feel it is the proper agency to regulate on line eyewear is another story, that being the FTC. As to how one cares to address these types of questions over the phone, that should be left to each individual business, as there are separate particular circumstances for every one. I practice out of the state of WA, which is highly regulated. I have my own set of experiences with individuals both patients and people off the street who have had unsuccessful situations with their on line product. I have learned to customize my answers to several different scenarios in terminology that I am comfortable with and that is more suited to my personality. I think that it would be more appropriate to write a script using your own words and customizing it into the principles that best suit the practice and the state in which you are located.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    I'm in mass, PD is required as part of the rx

if patients ask for Pd and state that they will go internet, I keep it short. It's something we all want to try, I ordered three for myself three years ago. I ordered the largest size possible, one was passable, two were miserable. We can't get parts so will only do minimal adjustments

too much info is sour grapes.

if you don't make enough to support the office on exam fees, the fees are too low

harry
    Yes on this. I work in Boston and the MA board of optometry regulations state that you must provide PD if the patient asks for it and at no additional charge. You may want to check with your state board on this one...

Thread Information