Thread: santinelli 9000 questions

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

santinelli 9000 questions

I posted yesterday that i just received a used Santinelli 9000. Setting it up now for the first time. I hope someone can answer a few questions i have. JDH has already helped me, (thanks again, JDH), but he may not see this post anytime soon...

1) I had to order an AIT chuck adapter, which I received. I don't even know which side it goes on. In my old 7070, it went on the left side, and I held the lens in place while the plunger moved across from the right side to secure the lens. Same with the 9000?

2) If I use a stocking as a filtering sock coming from the edger, where do I put it? Just put it over the drain pipe connector where it goes into the tank, and repace it daily?

3) the manual says I should remove the chuck adapter and replace it with a half eye chuck whenever the machine calls for a half eye. Does this mean you really have to pull out an allen wrench and change adapters back and forth as you're cutting jobs? I never did that with the 7070, just used a half eye block and leap pad.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by costafreak View Post
    I posted yesterday that i just received a used Santinelli 9000. Setting it up now for the first time. I hope someone can answer a few questions i have. JDH has already helped me, (thanks again, JDH), but he may not see this post anytime soon...

1) I had to order an AIT chuck adapter, which I received. I don't even know which side it goes on. In my old 7070, it went on the left side, and I held the lens in place while the plunger moved across from the right side to secure the lens. Same with the 9000?

2) If I use a stocking as a filtering sock coming from the edger, where do I put it? Just put it over the drain pipe connector where it goes into the tank, and repace it daily?

3) the manual says I should remove the chuck adapter and replace it with a half eye chuck whenever the machine calls for a half eye. Does this mean you really have to pull out an allen wrench and change adapters back and forth as you're cutting jobs? I never did that with the 7070, just used a half eye block and leap pad.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.....

I am not familiar with a 9000 but usually the idea is to use a 1/2 eye chuck on both sides of the lens so that the chuck can't contact the grinding wheel when cutting such a shallow "A" measurement. If the chuck were to touch the grinding wheel, its hard on the chuck, doesn't help the diamond wheels, and distorts the lens shape with a hump.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am quite sure that idispense meant B measurement. NOT "A' measurement.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Costafreak You are correct. AIT adaptor goes on the left side just like your 7070. What you need to be careful of is the lenses with the smaller B dimension. The AIT adaptor is larger, or it used to be larger than the Nidek adaptor. Therefore, you could not cut as small of B dimension lenses with the AIT adaptor. The machine has protections built in so you don't run the chucks into the wheels, but it can still happen regardless. Make sure you know the limits, like you did on your 7070.
    Stalking filter goes right in the tank where the drain hose slides in. You can put a rubber band around the stocking to hold it in place.
    Hope that helps.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks again, JDH. One last question: I went to cut flat bevel lenses for a semi rimless frame, and discovered the tracing device of course also didn't accept the AIT blocks that I used to use to mount the dummy lenses when I had the 7070. I called Santinelli, and the tech wasn't familiar with the 7070. I figured I just needed some Nidek blocks to attach the dummy lens to, and that the Nidek block would then be inserted into the tracing device, so i just ordered a dozen Nidek blocks. The tech recommended that I buy a new tracing device configured for AIT blocks. He seemed confused when I said I thought I would accomplish the same thing by just ordering Nidek blocks, but then said "Yes, that would be an alternative". In the end, I just ordered the Nidek blocks. Did I do the right thing? Is the dummy lens normally just affixed to the block with 2 sided adhesive, as it was with the 7070, then inserted directly into the semi rimless tracing device?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Since you have the Nidek style rimless adaptor, I would probably just buy the AIT adaptor for my blocker. The blocks are better with the AR of today and are available in different base curve options. They will also allow you to cut smaller B dimension than the AIT blocks and adaptors will. You will also need the Nidek cup holder for the left side to hold the blocks. Make sure they/you don't for get that. The adaptor used to not be that expensive and Im assuming its still available. They also used to have an adaptor for the rimless "jig" that would allow you to trace any demo lens on the concave side of the lens. Their tech should be able to give you the options. If not, you need to speak to a different tech that was around when the 7070 was still available.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    JDH - Man, you are a wealth of information, and, just as importantly, well written and well spoken. The Nidek blocks will arrive tomorrow, and I'll give them a go on the rimless tracing adapter, but in the end I may end up ordering the AIT Speede Blocker adapter for Nidek cups for the reasons you mentioned. (Are the terms "cups" and "blocks" interchangeable?) The edger came with the left side Nidek cup holder, so I don't have to worry about that.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thanks Costafreak I'll try to help whenever I can. Blocks are blocks. Cup holder is the term they use for the left side adaptor. Make sure you have the matching lens clamp for the right side as well. You will want to use them on a 1:1 ratio. They should pretty much line up size wise so you can easily know.
    I would get the Speede blocker adaptor for Nidek blocks, it will make your life easier for little cost.

Thread Information