This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resources for ABO study material

There seems to be an ebb and flow of members coming here and asking about resources to help study and prepare for the ABO exams. The info has been gone over, repeated, etc, but the search function must not get used.

So, I want to start a thread with resources and reference materials to help those looking for help. If you have a resource or suggestion, please list it and maybe we can get enough suggestions and we can get a sticky of the available info. This will be an ongoing list and I will try to update the suggestions as they come in.

Many of the posts asking for resources seem to want everything for free. I encourage those that are looking for help to INVEST in yourself! Buying a couple of books is a very small price to pay! Most of the book suggestions can be had for less than $100. I bet some of these folks spend more on pizza and beer than that!

Sources for used books at reasonable prices:

Abe Books

http://www.abebooks.com/

Alibris Books

Last edited by Fezz; 02-12-2014, 06:09 AM.

Books

System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, 3rd edition

Pass the ABO Exam

Optical Formula Tutorial

Dictionary of Ophthalmic Optics
    Last edited by Fezz; 02-12-2014, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Website

Opticampus

Opticianworks
      Last edited by Fezz; 02-12-2014, 06:10 AM.

Comment

State Specific Mentor/Study Help

Pennsylvania -
        *Fezz = I am in SE PA and would be willing to travel to help anybody that needs it within an hour or so from home.
        Last edited by Fezz; 02-12-2014, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks Fezz! We have another individual here on Optiboard who has been unable to pass after three attempts and someone like you would be a real blessing to them. I hope others will post sources here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fezz View Post
            There seems to be an ebb and flow of members coming here and asking about resources to help study and prepare for the ABO exams. The info has been gone over, repeated, etc, but the search function must not get used.
            How about adding a place for those resources in the Optical Resources Directory.
            -Tony

Comment

www.opticaltrainer.com, new site but it should start to get some resources for opticians

Comment

I know that Fezz already stated OpticianWorks.com...but I just want to chime in and say what a great site it really is. John has done a great job of putting together comprehensive study materials and practice tests.

Comment

For ABO and NCLE:

Open Optix http://www.laramyk.com/featured/openoptix/

Comment

Here are a few other websites for study material/continuing ed.

Eyecare Professional Magazine

Silhouette Focal Point

VisionCare Product News

20/20 Magazine

Last edited by Fezz; 02-21-2014, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Study material for ABO and NACOR is same ?

Comment

Several years ago I created a manual to help with the ABO review as well serve as a guide for training apprentice opticians. It may be more comprehensive than one designed to impart the minimal knowledge required for the basic ABO test. My suggestion would be to go to OAA website at OAA.org and ask about the contents. If anyone wishes, I can post the content pages. I’m not sure how much space that would require.

Roy

Comment

Hi I'm Jayne.

I am an English qualified Dispensing Optician ( FBDO ) with a degree in applied Optics . I have been in the USA for 9 years and have just gone back to work in an Opticians in Carrollton Texas . As far as I understand after contacting the ABO my qualification is not "recognized" here so I can not call myself certified . I have been looking at the three levels of certification: Basic , Advanced & Master and I would like to take the advanced exam and move onto the Master . Can anyone tell me if theses exams have to be completed in order or can I jump straight into the advanced . Looking at the syllabus the master is akin to my UK qualification but I didn't need to do thesis and As I have been out of the "loop" for 9 years I feel a more sensible route is the advanced course of study at this present time .
                          Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Roy R. Ferguson View Post
                            Several years ago I created a manual to help with the ABO review as well serve as a guide for training apprentice opticians. It may be more comprehensive than one designed to impart the minimal knowledge required for the basic ABO test. My suggestion would be to go to OAA website at OAA.org and ask about the contents. If anyone wishes, I can post the content pages. I’m not sure how much space that would require.

Roy

I think that this is a great idea! Pm sent!

Comment

Originally posted by tyler575 View Post
                              Hi I'm Jayne.

I am an English qualified Dispensing Optician ( FBDO ) with a degree in applied Optics . I have been in the USA for 9 years and have just gone back to work in an Opticians in Carrollton Texas . As far as I understand after contacting the ABO my qualification is not "recognized" here so I can not call myself certified . I have been looking at the three levels of certification: Basic , Advanced & Master and I would like to take the advanced exam and move onto the Master . Can anyone tell me if theses exams have to be completed in order or can I jump straight into the advanced . Looking at the syllabus the master is akin to my UK qualification but I didn't need to do thesis and As I have been out of the "loop" for 9 years I feel a more sensible route is the advanced course of study at this present time .
                              Thank you
                              They must be taken in order. If you'd like to take the basic ABO exam as soon as possible, the deadline to apply for the May testing period is April 4. Here's a link.

Comment

Working...
                              X