Thread: Resources for ABO study material

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In 2011 it took 7 weeks.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi all, this is my first post on the site, somewhat longtime lurker :) I am just curious if anyone has a good estimate about when results come down now. I took my ABO exam May 13th so we are about to hit 4 weeks, and I wanted to get an idea since ABO-NCLE tells me "4-8 weeks" and that big of a range is killing me!! I know they just switched over to all computerized tests with PSI recently (and upped the price), so I was hoping that meant results could be somewhat quicker. Can anyone give me good news? :(

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Ross View Post
    Hi all, this is my first post on the site, somewhat longtime lurker :) I am just curious if anyone has a good estimate about when results come down now. I took my ABO exam May 13th so we are about to hit 4 weeks, and I wanted to get an idea since ABO-NCLE tells me "4-8 weeks" and that big of a range is killing me!! I know they just switched over to all computerized tests with PSI recently (and upped the price), so I was hoping that meant results could be somewhat quicker. Can anyone give me good news? :(

I am also part of the first group to take the computerized PSI testing. I took mine one day after you did and got my results yesterday via email but I don't know if it's going to be different for you or not because I don't live in PA. Good Luck! =)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by xis View Post
    I am also part of the first group to take the computerized PSI testing. I took mine one day after you did and got my results yesterday via email but I don't know if it's going to be different for you or not because I don't live in PA. Good Luck! =)
    I took my test on the 21st of May I got a email saying I passed yesterday woot woot !! Lol
    Congrates to everyone who passed

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I was considering purchasing a couple of the optician training resources recommended on http://www.opticiantraining.org/ to prepare for certification and to use as resources throughout my career. While I would like to eventually add most of these textbooks to my collection, I was wondering if there are maybe two that would be the best for exam preparation? I feel like they would all be good for improving my technical understanding of the optical profession, but feel like I should try to focus my study efforts while attempting to complete my optician certification. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Of those books, I recommend System for Ophthalmic Dispensing and Optical Formulas Tutorial. For contact lens purposes, the best bang for the buck is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/075067...&robot_redir=1
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Question -How close is the Essilor Vision Academy / Vision Source version to the other mentioned websites above? Anyone have any experience?

Much like Tyler575/Jayne I qualified overseas a number of years ago, and need to refresh myself. I'm curious as to what formulae frequent the exam most often? I was under the impression we have no access to a calculator? so it can't be to complex?

Occupation
    Yes it takes that long and yes it is nerve racking. The doubt has all kinds of time to creep in.
    Robert Minardi ABO-AC
    https://robertminardi.com/

"If you want something you have never had, you must be willing to do something you have never done."
    -Thomas Jefferson

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about ncle ? Anyone selling Beginning your life as a contact lens technician by Diane Drake ? Thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    NAO has the second edition in color.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Need help translating this format

Hi Fellows, please need your help with the sign in this pic. It is plus or minus? Far or Near? Thanks so muchClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	11702Click image for larger version. 

Views:	89 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	11703

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lado View Post
    Hi Fellows, please need your help with the sign in this pic. It is plus or minus? Far or Near? Thanks so muchClick image for larger version. 

Views:	105 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	11702Click image for larger version. 

Views:	89 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	11703
    No sign on the sphere power is probably plus. Not a good idea to write it that way because it leaves open the chance for errors of omission, that is, it should have been minus.

At least they doodled over the cyl power and axis.

Probably full-time wear at this power.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    TO THOSE PREPPING FOR THE ABO EXAMS:

The May testing season is not that far away!

I hope that you are studying!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The National Academy of Opticianry has completed the update of the Basic Opticians Tutorial. Newly updated ABO task analysis, and it is in color.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Website

Opticianworks
    http://opticianworks.com/
    This was a good site... too bad it has been taken down Grr...

Opticaltraining.com has great materials... that you must purchase ;)
    ~N

"The sands of time have already begun to pour against you.." ~Aaron D Yates

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I passed the ABO 7 years ago using the Lens Crafters issued study material. (Yes the pink,yellow, blue & green books for those of you familiar with them) my question to you is does anyone how a set they can loan to an apprentice of mine.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did someone say "Bang for their buck"?

Here's a book written by our very own GMC!

http://www.thebookpatch.com/BookStor...=9781940555003

Here are some reviews:

Michael Coleman

Posted: June 22, 2014

Just took the ABO exam (and passed!) and this book was AWESOME in helping me succeed. It truly helped me with the ABO test. The book is easy to read, well written, and hit all the key info you'll need to take and pass the ABO exam. It has lots of facts you'll need to know, hundreds of sample test questions, and all the formulas you'll need to remember.

I teach optometry and ophthalmology technicians and opticians for a living. Now, when my optician students ask me, "What book(s) do you recommend for preparing to take the ABO Exam?" this will be the one I suggest they buy.

Logan Stanford
    Posted: February 11, 2015

I couldn't ask for a better resource to have had for when I was preparing for the ABO Exam. I owe this book all the credit for me passing. It covers everything you need to know without all the extras. Very up to date. I remember seeing questions on the exam that I had seen many times in reading this book. I felt extremely prepared. There are also 3, 100 question sample tests that give you a great understanding of what the test will look like. The actual exam is extremely similar. Gary had done a fantastic jobat compiling this book into an invaluable resource for anyone taking the ABO exam.

Note that these are recent reviews, not from 10 years ago. This book is very relevant!

Speaking from my own experience, many of my employees have used this book and also had excellent results. If you're serious about passing the test, this is a very minor investment.

Good luck to all taking the test!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Did someone say "Bang for their buck"?

Here's a book written by our very own GMC!

http://www.thebookpatch.com/BookStor...=9781940555003

Here are some reviews:

Michael Coleman

Posted: June 22, 2014

Just took the ABO exam (and passed!) and this book was AWESOME in helping me succeed. It truly helped me with the ABO test. The book is easy to read, well written, and hit all the key info you'll need to take and pass the ABO exam. It has lots of facts you'll need to know, hundreds of sample test questions, and all the formulas you'll need to remember.

I teach optometry and ophthalmology technicians and opticians for a living. Now, when my optician students ask me, "What book(s) do you recommend for preparing to take the ABO Exam?" this will be the one I suggest they buy.

Logan Stanford
    Posted: February 11, 2015

I couldn't ask for a better resource to have had for when I was preparing for the ABO Exam. I owe this book all the credit for me passing. It covers everything you need to know without all the extras. Very up to date. I remember seeing questions on the exam that I had seen many times in reading this book. I felt extremely prepared. There are also 3, 100 question sample tests that give you a great understanding of what the test will look like. The actual exam is extremely similar. Gary had done a fantastic jobat compiling this book into an invaluable resource for anyone taking the ABO exam.

Note that these are recent reviews, not from 10 years ago. This book is very relevant!

Speaking from my own experience, many of my employees have used this book and also had excellent results. If you're serious about passing the test, this is a very minor investment.

Good luck to all taking the test!
    For Exam prep, it's hard to find a better resource.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am taking my NC State Board exam in October (for the 4th time), and have all the books and old tests from the apprenticeship program, but what I was wondering is if anyone knows of any website that has practice quizzes or questions that I can work out. I only have 2 parts of the exam to pass before I can get my license; the Contact lens written and Opthalmic Dispensing written. I've searched on here but have not come up with anything that I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated!

OptiBoard Moron newguyaroundhere's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by colem84 View Post
    I am taking my NC State Board exam in October (for the 4th time), and have all the books and old tests from the apprenticeship program, but what I was wondering is if anyone knows of any website that has practice quizzes or questions that I can work out. I only have 2 parts of the exam to pass before I can get my license; the Contact lens written and Opthalmic Dispensing written. I've searched on here but have not come up with anything that I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated!
    Talk to wmcdonald on here. He may have something to help you out
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    www.laramyk.com
    Click on "Education" and OpenOptix (ABO, NCLE, more) on the drop down menu. Click on Openoptix ABO Study Guide. This material was instrumental in my passing. There is one for NCLE too

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello everyone,

I have been in optical for a total of 7 years. And my employer is asking that I get certified. It is not required in the state of Texas but I would like it for my own "state of mind", a raise, and my face next to a certificate on the wall. I have taken the ABO exam twice within the past year and a half and FAILED.

I have studied LaramyK (front and back), studied with Carl Zeiss with Cindi Davis (who helps write the ABO), a flash card app, a thick old dispensing book from the 1970's, and opticiantraining.com. I literally feel like I have studied my heart out over months and still disappointed with myself.

The Prentice Rule and decentration and even the tricky answers were the hardest part on this last test. Now I am needing to sign up again in Feb 2016.

ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS IS NEEDED. Any study guides, books, pictures, flash cards, apps, ANYTHING.

OptiBoard Professional Dustin.B's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These are what I used to study for the test. There are also a series of flash cards and pretests on Quizlet.

Quizlet;
    https://quizlet.com/2657691/abo-exam...t-flash-cards/

Introduction to Opthalmic Optics;
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...VdSe0bPiwUdetA
    Indispensable Dispensing Guide;
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...RKaZUYn8_RI7jg

If I may ask, what is it in particular your having difficulties with? Is it the base directions, cause that tripped me up for a while...
    ~Dustin B. AboC

"Laugh, or you will go crazy."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin.B View Post
    These are what I used to study for the test. There are also a series of flash cards and pretests on Quizlet.

Quizlet;
    https://quizlet.com/2657691/abo-exam...t-flash-cards/

Introduction to Opthalmic Optics;
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...VdSe0bPiwUdetA
    Indispensable Dispensing Guide;
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...RKaZUYn8_RI7jg

If I may ask, what is it in particular your having difficulties with? Is it the base directions, cause that tripped me up for a while...

This last test I took in August, I failed: Instrumentation, Laws Regulations & Standards, and Ophthalmic Optics.

So basically I passed 50% of the test. Yeah, the prism direction I just guessed at it. I can get the "Prentice Rule" part of it, I just didn't focus so much on the direction of which way it was going.

I wish there was a Youtube channel for ABO prep. Because I didn't go through a college like some of the people did. It was all learned on my own by whatever I could get my hands on!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a trick I learned for prism base direction.

Draw a dot on a piece of paper that represents the pupil. Then after reading the question, figure out where the OC needs to go. So, if it states the OC is 2mm above the pupil, then place an X slightly above your dot.

Okay, so when you look at the Rx, it'll either be + or -, right? Let's say for this example the Rx is +. Draw 2 triangles, base together, that meet at the OC. It will look like a diamond shape. The reason for this is because the thickest part of a + lens is in the center at the OC.

All you need to do now is figure out where the base is in relation to the pupil. On this example, the base will be up, because the OC is above the pupil. See attached image.

I added a minus lens which is done the same way, except instead of drawing a diamond, you draw an X and meet the two triangles at their apex's at the OC. Then look to whichever triangle the pupil is in and find where the base is.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prism.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	12398

Thread Information