Thread: building a frame?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

building a frame?

Has anyone here ever designed and built a frame? If so where did you go about getting the specialized tools? where did you source material and what material?

I have some frame designs that I am working on transferring from drawing to CAD, but I don't know the next step. I would like to work titanium but, I know that is very hard to work with and expensive, so maybe work up to that. I think any metal will be a decent size investment but I don't even know where to begin to look for information.

Can someone point me in the right direction for some research.

Thanks everyone

Josh

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    i wonder if 3D printing is a way to start. I've never tried it, but u may get a feel for how it will come together. I don't know the amount of work involved in preparing for a 3D printer. Good Luck

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If you want to make metal frames by hand, start first with sole old metal frames of all different materials and start to learn soldering pieces together
    and also finish the soldering point so that they look like new. When you have become a master doing it start looking for materials you want to work with.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by justvision View Post
    i wonder if 3D printing is a way to start. I've never tried it, but u may get a feel for how it will come together. I don't know the amount of work involved in preparing for a 3D printer. Good Luck
    More than you'd think. They are not at all plug-n-play and each material melts differently.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    I have a 3D printer and its not as easy as click "print". There are many fine tuning steps for different plastics. A science to printing because "undercuts" or over hangs collapse during printing because the plastic is still soft. So you need to print support structures that are removed later. A lot of finishing works comes into play after the print.

Metal: It will expensive to start becuase you will want to stamp or cast custom parts to mass produce and keep the frames affordable. OR you make a small batch by hand processing and charge a lot but they will be harder to sell. Hand processing consists of laser welding, rolling mills, riviting, polishing (jewelers tools/crafts)

These things aren't easy to learn right away so prepare for some time investment.

Occupation
    Follow Chris's advice. Master the tools and techniques of metal and plastic and then find the materials.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyedentity3 View Post
    Has anyone here ever designed and built a frame? If so where did you go about getting the specialized tools? where did you source material and what material?

I have some frame designs that I am working on transferring from drawing to CAD, but I don't know the next step. I would like to work titanium but, I know that is very hard to work with and expensive, so maybe work up to that. I think any metal will be a decent size investment but I don't even know where to begin to look for information.

Thanks everyone

Josh
    If anyone is thinking about getting a 3D printer or has general questions about it (ie starting a frame line) you can PM me. I would be happy to help and answer any questions. Also if anyone has any questions on working with precious metals or welding equipment for making metal frames I can help there too. I am a part owner in a custom jewelry manufacturing company so I have some experience that can help.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Frames, I would also suggest you contact our resident expert here on the board Jerry Huang, jerry has made frames out of every conceivable material you can think of. you can also email him at eyetailorjerry@yahoo.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Just got my new commercial software for creating "things", this last year has been great for me and making "things". I proposed a course on "things" making at the opticians convention but haven't received a response yet. Can be done with traditional materials by mixing old techniques with new.

Here's an example of my office logo and some text, I have been cutting out frames as well from more traditional materials but I am reserving those processes and techniques for a later time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails routed.jpg  

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    HELLO JOSH

You would need more than just tools! You will need a high frequency welding machine with argon gas chamber to weld hinges and bridge/nose pad arms. You will need to convert your cad drawing to cam file and carve out your design from a cnc machine. You also need to build fixtures to hold all your parts firmly for soldering titanium parts without sparks......

UOTE=Eyedentity3;478606]Has anyone here ever designed and built a frame? If so where did you go about getting the specialized tools? where did you source material and what material?

Thanks everyone

Josh[/QUOTE]

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	10720Click image for larger version. 

Views:	88 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	10721This is a titanium low rider chopper I built from china

Occupation
    As Jerry suggested you would have to go from drawing or design to CAD to CAM, the you need to create g-code for your particular CNC before that's done you need to know which material you are working so that you can properly set your feed rates, you'll need to know your tool dimensions so you can account for them in your g-code. The equipment is widely available however working titanium may be more advanced a subject for a beginner; personally I would recommend wood, bamboo, or acetate to begin with. For more intermediate level work you may consider soft metals like aluminum which can be fairly easily routed with a decent CNC set up. Hinges can be riveted which would be a lot easier then brazing for a noon and have a quality look and feel. Check for local maker spaces and see if you can get quick lessons on CAD/CAM and toolpath generation. From there you can use a local maker space to run some practice pieces or even use one of the many online CNC services to cut for you. I just went from an open source tool chain to purchasing a professional CAD/CAM package Vectric Aspire a little hefty in price but already saving me time and energy.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by JERRY HUANG View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	86 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	10720Click image for larger version. 

Views:	88 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	10721This is a titanium low rider chopper I built from china
    Jerry,

Always great to see your posts.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For starters, wow I never expected this many responses. Secondly, that is an awesome bike and I want one. But anyways, this is going to be quite an adventure on my part. Headed to the local CNC shop next weekend and going to get some advice on CAM files and what is possible. Going to start working on my welds/solders, and going to try and find some softer material to start experimenting with.

Thanks again

josh

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I admire anyone wanting to create something original. Please post pics when you have something! Good luck :)

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Thanks everyone!& will do! I am going through lots of learning curves myself to custom build bikes and experiencing 3-D printing material! I think it is cool to make decorative ornament out of 3-d printer instead of printing out the entire frame at the current moment! The rim locks, hinges, screws are still mission impossible to bear the weight, sustain external stress ...etc!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    That is one awsome design!

Thread Information