Thread: ABO - Third round

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO - Third round

I have taken the ABO exam twice and am preparing to register for the May testing. I am studying every day and have registered for Stewart Optical's exam reviews, which I have heard are quite helpful for both the ABO, NCLE, and the State Board Exam (I live in Washington state). Any advice? Resources? Anything that would help at this point would be greatly appreciated -at this point, if I don't pass the exam, I will no longer have a career as an optician... I need help.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What other study material do you have?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Not to plug my own work but I'm ABO - AC, NCLC, LDO and CE author for ABO & NCLE. I wrote and published a book late last year based on the ABO Advanced exam material including an extensive practice test. The questions are based from the most recent exam. Now it maybe a little more advanced than the regular ABO exam but if you learn ABO advanced material then the test will be a breeze! My book is available on amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/149...pf_rd_i=507846)

Also, a member on from this site is creating a resource site http://www.opticaltrainer.com. The hope is there will be a lot of resources for studying opticians there. I am personally posting some of my CE courses on the site.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What part of the test are you having the most trouble with?

Occupation
    I am going to post some of the relevant chapters for ABO exam on Dave's site (if he lets me) www.opticaltrainer.com I hope they will help you, it would be a shame to lose a job you enjoy because you are struggling with the ABO. Let us know what is your primary source of problems and I'm sure you will get lots of help!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually you should not be calling yourself an optician. You are in Washington State, which is a licensed state. The only entity that can call you an optician is Washington State. The ABO has no validity here. In your case you can not legally practice in this field unless you are working as a licensed apprenticing optician period. You have to be registered. Instead of preparing for the ABO and NCLE, you need to be focusing all your efforts on the state board. With that said there is the, SCCC opticianry program and the Highland program. Bernie Stewart is well respected and his booklets can help but you still require hands on experience with the machinery in the lab and the equipment for the contact lens portion of the State Board. You can contact the state opticianry organization at oaw.org.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a link to the study guide I've published.

http://www.thebookpatch.com/BookStor...20Exam&ddl=any

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    Actually you should not be calling yourself an optician. You are in Washington State, which is a licensed state. The only entity that can call you an optician is Washington State. The ABO has no validity here. In your case you can not legally practice in this field unless you are working as a licensed apprenticing optician period. You have to be registered. Instead of preparing for the ABO and NCLE, you need to be focusing all your efforts on the state board. With that said there is the, SCCC opticianry program and the Highland program. Bernie Stewart is well respected and his booklets can help but you still require hands on experience with the machinery in the lab and the equipment for the contact lens portion of the State Board. You can contact the state opticianry organization at oaw.org.
    In WA to get your license do you nnot need ABO & NCLE first? What are the pay rates up there compared to the rest of the licensed states for LDO?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Salaries are higher in Washington State than in surrounding states that are largely unlicensed. In Washington, you do need a license to use the title Optician. If not registered with the board, they are guilty of a misdemeanor. But if they can't read the study guide and pass this very basic exam after three attempts, passing the board will be like rocket science to this one. I wish them well, but hey, there are other careers. The suggestion to attend Mr. Stewart's Review is a good idea, and the school in Seattle is available to them as well, if they really want to learn the material. I am also glad to see this new educator here attempting to help (welcome erichwmach).......we really need it. Good luck!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An additional source for study materials comes from gmc here on Optiboard, and I believe he has a new manual developed that is quite good. I would be remiss if I did not mention his efforts. Dr. Ferguson has a book available on the OAA website that has extensive questions and answers. There is so much out there to study for this thing no one should have any issues.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Washington is a licensed state. The first thing you have to do is to become registered, licensed apprentice optician. I believe that students enrolled in the opticianry program are exempt from having to register. An apprenticing optician works under a licensed individual, you are required to work under their direct supervision 80% of the time. WA has its own set of standards for the comprehensive state board you have to sit for. Some individuals may obtain an ABO or an NCLE certification but it does not give one the title of optician. The chains may give a carrot to their employees who pass the ABO as an incentive. My concern for the author of this thread is that they may have been given incorrect information and that they need to get in touch with those entities who are more knowledgeable and whose goal is the perpetuation of this field in Washington State. As to the relevance of the ABO, it carries no real credential in WA. The individual needs to get in touch with the state association in order to get the facts. Dispensing without being registered is a BIG NO NO!

Thread Information