Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about 1970s/80s tints

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    LOL, I wasn't trying to sell it. Both older ladies who wanted what they had all those years ago.

I thought there was a specific name for that particular color combo, more specific than double gradient.
    There were names for those combos but I doubt they were universally the same across the country. My samples came from Edward H. Schmidt and were names like carmel Melon for a sahara gradient dipped in pink for 10 seconds to give a smooth transition from top 2/3 sahara to bottom 1/3 rose. The blue top and pink bottom name escapes me but it and the camel melon were the most popular combos .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    While we are on the subject of tints...we just received a notification from somebody...that commercial airline pilots are not allowed to wear polarized lenses in the cockpit. We already knew that many of them didn't like it, but now they have passed a "rule"...which means it opens us up (as eyewear providers) to liability issues if someone, even someone who is not a pilot, ever claimed they had an accident or got hurt because they couldn't see something. I can hear the attorney's now..."we should have known better than to recommend something that is so defective that pilots are not allowed to use them."

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sure a pilot will chime in (hello Dick!) but I believe it's because the window glass in the cockpit produces that chicken wire effect from tempering the glass.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Even as recently as the early 2000s, my OD growing up was still using tints instead of AR. He was an older gentleman, though, and this was in a rural part of the country.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I'm sure a pilot will chime in (hello Dick!) but I believe it's because the window glass in the cockpit produces that chicken wire effect from tempering the glass.
    Unlike the traditional "steam gauges" the new "glass cockpits" use some kind of polarized polymer cover glass (Gorilla Glass?) Depending on the axis of the instrument faceplates and the worn polaroid lenses you can occasionally get some pesky color fringes or ghosting. I had a glass panel on my Beechcraft Baron and tried a pair of polaroid lenses and found it somewhat annoying, however, certainly not really hazardous.

Since there is no compelling reason to wear polaroid lenses on the flight deck I can see no reason to object to this policy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cessna-172.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	10712
    Old Steam Gauges

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cessna-172-g1000.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	10713
    New Glass Panel
    Last edited by rbaker; 02-12-2014 at 02:16 PM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As Mr. Baker implies, there may be more disadvantages than advantages, depending on the aircraft. Try before you buy.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/sunglasses.pdf

http://www.visioninaviation.com/sunglasses-aircrew-pg-7
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    NO...it had more to do with missing information on controls and displays in the cockpit.

Not being a pilot, but I think today's commercial pilot does not do much looking out the window to fly a plane. It's more a matter of having unimpeded view of the controls in the cockpit...or flightdeck, if you will.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yup. My FIL flies, and it's the displays in the cockpit.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I stand corrected. Thanks guys!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a(n) (elderly) patient that bought sunglasses but she wanted a "medium purple gradient" tint because she is a huge Lakers fan, I didn't have a sample so I ordered Lakers purple #2 gradient and it turned out just the way she wanted it!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper It was then and now is different.................................................

Quote Originally Posted by drk;February 27, 2017

My problem is if WE bring up the concern. How would that work?

"There's some talk in the marketplace about blue light damage. High risk...high energy...wavelengths...smartphones...your children...blindess...macular degneration...retinal damage...etc." We don't know enough yet, but if I've worried you enough by talking about it, buy this."

That's not tenable.

It smacks of scare tactics.

Here is a recent response planted into an older thread on blue blockers, on which nobody was talking about getting scared.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    It was a fashion thing. Tinted lenses to highlight eyes and cheeks or to coordinate with the frame. A/R was available, but difficult to apply and maintain the desired colors, though it seems to me that Europe was way ahead of us in that particular area.

Based on the increased attention to my tint sample book, it's coming back. Be prepared!
    Oh no! Say it's not so! I sold about 1000 of blue/rose, brown/rose tints back in the day. Most of them in the avantgarde Deeda.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I agree. Things may change.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmama View Post
    Oh no! Say it's not so! I sold about 1000 of blue/rose, brown/rose tints back in the day. Most of them in the avantgarde Deeda.
    Back in 1976 we did a lot of triple gradients RED, WHITE (clear in the middle) and BLUE.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Used R.I.T. dye from the local Woolworths.

Then you'd offer to put their initials on the lens from a book of small sticky backed initials. Usually gold.
    With faceted lenses.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I used to not have an automatic lens dipper, so I used to make interns stand there and dip tint gradients by hand.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation

Blue Jumper CR39 is still the best lens material next to glass .................................

Quote Originally Posted by Iheartglasses View Post

........................Thankfully, AR has stopped most of that and my current tint unit hasn't been used since I started. It wouldn't be so bad if I had filtered water which still doesn't seem to keep the grays and browns how I would like them
    or if patients stayed with the CR39.

CR39 is still the best lens material next to glass.

You could even strip the scratched AR coating off the lenses in 10 seconds and recoat or tint them.

However on the fancy Polycarbonate lenses you can do neither of them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We called those blue/rose or green/rose double gradients "cocktail tints."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm one of those that doesn't like to wear polarized lenses. I also don't recommend them to low vision patients.

Being newer and more expensive doesn't necessarily make it better. More profitable perhaps....

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Being newer and more expensive doesn't necessarily make it better ...................

Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post

I'm one of those that doesn't like to wear polarized lenses. I also don't recommend them to low vision patients.

Being newer and more expensive doesn't necessarily make it better. More profitable perhaps....

fjpod.................. I totally join you in your opinion, I found other ways to use special tints, I researched and produced over the last 35 years.

For the first many years polarised sunglasses were the cheapest crap on the market until they found their way into the professional optical eyeglass trade.

You are right they are more profitable as the main reason. The optical retail is being pushed into selling add ons they can not make anymore in house, while the large suppliers are investing more and more into online selling.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    fjpod.................. I totally join you in your opinion, I found other ways to use special tints, I researched and produced over the last 35 years.

For the first many years polarised sunglasses were the cheapest crap on the market until they found their way into the professional optical eyeglass trade.

You are right they are more profitable as the main reason. The optical retail is being pushed into selling add ons they can not make anymore in house, while the large suppliers are investing more and more into online selling.
    Foster Grant up in Leominster, MA led the way. Foster Grant has a long, storied history which began in 1929 when Sam Foster sold the first pair of sunglasses at Woolworth’s on the Atlantic City boardwalk – making Foster Grant the original American sunglasses brand.

During the golden era of American film in the 1950’s, Foster Grant epitomized effortless chic and our sunglasses were worn by iconic Hollywood stars. In the 1960's, Foster Grant pioneered one of the world's most well-known advertising slogans, "Who's That Behind Those Foster Grants?”, which was recognized as a Top 100 Campaign of the 20th Century by Advertising Age.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Foster Grant up in Leominster, MA led the way. Foster Grant has a long, storied history which began in 1929 when Sam Foster sold the first pair of sunglasses at Woolworth’s on the Atlantic City boardwalk – making Foster Grant the original American sunglasses brand.

During the golden era of American film in the 1950’s, Foster Grant epitomized effortless chic and our sunglasses were worn by iconic Hollywood stars. In the 1960's, Foster Grant pioneered one of the world's most well-known advertising slogans, "Who's That Behind Those Foster Grants?”, which was recognized as a Top 100 Campaign of the 20th Century by Advertising Age.
    I remember....the 60's part anyway.

Bad address email on file Randle Tibbs, ABOM's Avatar
    Occupation
    those were the days

Occupation

Redhot Jumper a dye pot full of dyes would cost you a few Dollars..................................

Quote Originally Posted by Randle Tibbs, ABOM View Post

those were the days

Those were also the days when a dye pot full of dyes would cost you a few Dollars and you could tint yourself, in your backroom lab many pairs of lenses in the same batch. Sometimes it was also done while the patient was waiting.

These days the tinting is done at the lab that supplies the lenses, and that charges you the price you sold the tinting a few years back to the patient, and the lab might be located in China, India or Thailand.

Occupation
    Prior to the general acceptance of CR-39 lenses in the 1960's coatings on glass lenses had to be sent out (National Lens Coatings ? ?) for coating. There were a limited menu of colors and no gradients. When we put in a stock of Aolite SV lenses and a tint pot we were in hog heaven. We sold a ton of tints, in fact nearly every job that went out the door was tinted.

Lens tinting became the greatest single return on investment that an optical shop could purchase. At $10.00 - $15.00 a pair and $0.10 in cost it was a license to print money.

Weird Henry, one of our opticians, started using Scotch tape and electrical tape to create pattern on multicolored lenses. He sold a pant load of lenses with "peace" symbols (remember, this was back in the sixties) and he also did a beautiful plaid in you clan tartan.

Yes indeed, those were the good old days.
    Last edited by rbaker; 11-29-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Thread Information