Thread: Patient's Frame Selection Satisfaction

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Patient's Frame Selection Satisfaction

Just inquiring what your policy is in this situation: A Patient picks out a new frame and orders glasses. After a couple weeks from receiving their new eyewear, they return dissatisfied with the frame they selected. How do you proceed in this situation?
    What we have done in the past is allow them to pick new frames, and order new lenses for them from the lab as a patient satisfaction redo. If the new frame they pick out costs more, they pay the difference, but we have never charged for the redo. (as an uncut acct., we get charged 50% of the Rx, so we eat the cost.) We're trying to decide if we're being fair, or too lenient in this situation. Your thoughts?
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    that pretty much mirrors our policy. we only give them 30 days to do it though.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank LC for this asinine policy. And yes we do that here also. ( Luckily, very rarely.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have the patient initial a frame agreement, which pretty much states that both parties agree to the frame. There are always extending circumstances that may cause a restyle. I do not charge a patient for a lens redo. It happens so infrequently and I would rather have a patient that is happy with our services. Of coarse there is a dark horse, V--, that can upset the apple cart when it comes to restyles. Hope this helps.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's is our unwritten policy also,and way before LC. Marshal Fields Dept. store set the standard about making customers happy. If it's a regular thing you need to look at your staff and retrain them or if it's that one indecisive person just thank them and let them know that there satisfaction is key.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We will exchange the frame but the lenses are 1/2 off. It is never an issue the 3-4 times a year it occurs, they are happy we will work with them.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So it looks like we've been fair, and so we will continue our policy for patient satisfaction. I didn't mention, as others have, that it is a rare occasion that we have had to do this. On a side note: The most recent patient that we did this for just picked up her glasses, and immediately said she didn't like the replacement frame she picked out, but would wear them for a month to "try out". She'll be wearing them a lot longer, because we won't do this more than once!
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    15 days here

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a very solid 25% "restocking fee". Some people give us a little push back but I've explained to them that this isn't turn and burn retail and I've made them a custom product- can't unscramble that egg. Most people understand. It's not like I'm going to pull an LC and put the frame back on the board.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't had a frame re-style in months .... You will never ever have a frame re-style if you take your time from the beginning to prevent them. Making sure they fit properly etc.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We were always happy to sell anyone a second pair anytime for reason.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Within 30 days, we exchange the frames and charge/refund the difference in frame cost. We do charge 50% for the lens redo. This policy is clearly posted in our optical. We have thought about having patients sign a policy agreement, but as others said, this doesn't happen too often so why bother. Most people are OK with paying 50 percent on the lenses.

I think it is very important to provide good customer service on the front end of the sale to avoid this situation altogether. If I see potential fit/comfort issues with a frame, or if a frame just looks bad on someone, I will diplomatically let them know. I feel that my patients deserve my honest opinion.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread reminds me of the time only a few months ago that a customer whose glasses were 5 years old wondered about a re-style no charge.
    Said that she really didn't like the glasses and hadn't really worn them. lol
    I tried to explain to her why I wouldn't do it and I really don't think she got it.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    30 days. And no go for Plano sun

OptiBoard Apprentice lightbender27's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    barryh66 is right! At least I think so. Pretty much everybody I agree with.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Do it, but hate to.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had one this morning. Dispensed in July, 2013. The kicker? It was a Medicaid job.

She was actually very polite when I said no. Guess she figured it didn't hurt to ask.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We offer 100% frame satisfaction for 14 days with any overages out of pocket. After 14 days there is a $40 "re-edge" fee; whis is almost always a remake and uses the patient's Patient Satisfaction redo.

Thread Information