Thread: Bringing in Smith / Spy / Wiley-X for Safety Eyewear

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Bringing in Smith / Spy / Wiley-X for Safety Eyewear

Anybody know the companies to contact to bring in Smith, Spy and Wiley-X? I've got a fairly large amount of safety eyewear we do, and the guys around town are tired of the same old Uvex frames.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you tried 3M as well?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do have some 3M. I think its the OCC group; we use them for the Rail Road They do look better than the Uvex. I've gotten requests from patients for the Wiley-X, and I figure while I'm at it I should look at Smith and Spy. I really wouldn't mind having them in for plano suns either, they look pretty nice.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really like Wiley X hardly any breakage!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Why in the world do you want them to wear cosmetically ..............................

Safety Frames are for industrial use, very similar to work shoes .............................................

Why in the world do you want them to wear cosmetically good looking frames as safety glasses ?????????

You just discourage them to buy fashionable glasses to wear outside of work.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wiley X is safety, but it is geared toward sport usage. Great for motorcycle and other high impact possibility situations. Nothing wrong with looking good too Chris. Even 3M is starting to look a lot like dress wear, until you put on the sideshields.

As far as contact, for Wiley X, just go to their website, it will give you contact information. I would assume Smith and Spy (I didn't know they had Z87 products) would have a similar contact information on their web site.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Rich! I didn't know if I had to use a frame rep through a parent company or something. I'll just go to the source.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post
    Wiley X is safety, but it is geared toward sport usage. Great for motorcycle and other high impact possibility situations. Nothing wrong with looking good too Chris. Even 3M is starting to look a lot like dress wear, until you put on the sideshields.

As far as contact, for Wiley X, just go to their website, it will give you contact information. I would assume Smith and Spy (I didn't know they had Z87 products) would have a similar contact information on their web site.

Smith is good quality but GOOD LUCK getting good sales reps !

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our optical sells a lot of safety eyewear, as coal, CBM, and other natural resources are a big part of the local economy. We have had a great relationship with Wiley X for years. I recommend getting their Climate Control series, these are really popular. Some of their more fashion oriented stuff doesn't sell as well. Wiley-X has new high Rx adapters for some of their popular models too. On the negative side, they sell a line of cheaper stuff through Wal-Mart opticals. Lame. I have been a Smith fan for years. They are very good quality. The Elite series is pretty fun albeit a lot more limited then the Wiley X safety line. FYI make sure your lab knows they are safety frames, as they frames aren't as well marked as they should be. I moved Smith in because they only have a 24 piece buy in- including their fun optical collection and suns.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So far, Spy is horrible. Nobody has returned me email or call.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboytelemark View Post
    Our optical sells a lot of safety eyewear, as coal, CBM, and other natural resources are a big part of the local economy. We have had a great relationship with Wiley X for years. I recommend getting their Climate Control series, these are really popular. Some of their more fashion oriented stuff doesn't sell as well. Wiley-X has new high Rx adapters for some of their popular models too. On the negative side, they sell a line of cheaper stuff through Wal-Mart opticals. Lame. I have been a Smith fan for years. They are very good quality. The Elite series is pretty fun albeit a lot more limited then the Wiley X safety line. FYI make sure your lab knows they are safety frames, as they frames aren't as well marked as they should be. I moved Smith in because they only have a 24 piece buy in- including their fun optical collection and suns.
    We didn't have to meet any buy in requirements for Smith at all.

Thread Information