Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fight Eyeconic

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

How to fight Eyeconic

Every time I get a fax from Eyeconic equals 5 less frames I buy from Marchon....And I buy a fair amount from them

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Very well said!!!!!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who or what is Eyeconics.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post
    Eyeconic is a new division of VSP. It is a direct to consumer website, where patients can by-pass the optical dispensary and we get paid nothing. In short, it is VSP's version of Warby Parker and/or 1800contacts

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe View Post

1. Eyeconic | Your Online Optical Store! Shop Contacts, Glasses ...

www.eyeconic.com CachedBuy contacts, eyeglasses and sunglasses at Eyeconic.com! ... info@eyeconic.com: 1-855-EYECONIC (1-855-393-2664) Customer Service Mon-Fri 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. PT

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianjoe View Post
    Eyeconic is a new division of VSP. It is a direct to consumer website, where patients can by-pass the optical dispensary and we get paid nothing. In short, it is VSP's version of Warby Parker and/or 1800contacts
    100% incorrect. It's not a VSP version of anything. Eyeconic is the ONLY online site that DOES reimburse you and it's unlike any program from anyone else.

I'm not a fan just simply because it's not relevant in our area but in the end, I would encourage you to at least understand the program before making incorrect claims. If a patient goes through Eyeconic, it's because they've walked from your dispensary already. That's on YOU not anyone else. No different than if they take their Rx to any other provider or dispensary online or brick & mortar.

Also, if they DO buy through Eyeconic, VSP tracks the Rx and reimburses the ECP it originated from. ?Does anyone else do that? If it's non-RX product, they reimburse the provider closest to the shipping address. Does anyone else do that?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can almost hear those shiny new VSP online nickels just clinking away in your bank accounts fellas! Listen real hard like now...just keep listening...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    You can almost hear those shiny new VSP online nickels just clinking away in your bank accounts fellas! Listen real hard like now...just keep listening...
    Brian, I'm still awaiting you to reply in my previous post.....More of the same one liners with no real discussion I guess....
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...l=1#post477287

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    question racethe132

does vsp direct members or at least give the option on eyefinity for them to do their buisness online?

isnt that direct competition with their providers?

your response that the customer has chosen to leave optician joe's practice is unfair if vsp has directly given the patient a much less expensive way to purchase their eyewear.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    I've had an Eyeconic purchase come through my office once so far. It confused the heck out of me at first because the person was not a patient of our practice. Anyway, the glasses were shipped to us for dispensing because we were the closest VSP Dr to his house. We did get a small reimbursement fee, though I can't remember what it was. The idea of us providing this service to him was 1) get reimbursed a dispensing fee 2) Introduce the patient to our practice. I gave this person the white glove treatment so I hope VSP is right and he comes back. But at least we did get some $ for our time. Eyeconic doesn't bother me so far and I don't think its going to become a big player in the online market.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    eyeconic will use an industry average for the pupilary distance if one is not provided.

does anyone have a problem with dispencing with that in mind.

boy this industry is becoming lemming like with a distinct feeling of giving up to big brother.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DickR View Post
    eyeconic will use an industry average for the papillary distance if one is not provided.

does anyone have a problem with dispensing with that in mind.

boy this industry is becoming lemming like with a distinct feeling of giving up to big brother.
    The lemmings were "pushed".

When overpopulation causes mass migration and they must cross bodies of water the strong survive and the weak perish.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp

Now if you want to postulate that the corporate oligarchy we the people have allowed to develop since reganomics and the voodoo economics of trickle down was sanctified by a bipartisan Washington DC you'll get no argument from me.

God bless Pete Seeger.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-30-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: single payer...think about it...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    question racethe132

Yes. Combined with ownership of Marchon and extra allowances for VSP members who buy insurance company owned frames, it's a brilliant plan to take over the industry. It's death to the independent docs who take it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Java, you are right on the money....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Too bad the fatal flaw is...Marchon frames!

Occupation
    I think Eyeconic is an attempt to balance the online market with brick and mortar VSP opticals. From the beginning every step of Eyeconic was to include the VSP providers with support fees to try and recapture the walk-outs at least partially. Now that VSP owns Marchon/Altair and a network of labs they are positioned to penetrate the online market but leverage the VSP doctor network. There is a percent of customers that will walk out no matter what after using VSP exam benefits and shop online. This gives us a chance of recouping at least a portion of the online sale if they use Eyeconic.

There is always going to be a percent of people that want to buy their eyewear in person. There is also a percent of people that want a selection of eyewear that is very boutique and/or not available online. There is also a presbyopic age group of people who are by far the largest portion of eyewear purchasers and the most profitable customers who don't buy things online. (This may change in the future as the next gen start to become the presbyopic group) These are the demographics that we should be going after and marketing (in person buyers, boutique buyers, presbyopes). Regardless of the online markets these people are what make opticals stay in business. So I would stop spending time and stress in the onlines and especially Eyeconic and spend that effort into a marketing and growing your business in the profitable demographics.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    I just wonder when are opticians finally in an agreement to charge for services like the example on this thread. Nobody has said so far what the paid fee was to deliver the glasses, checked and adjusted.

Occupation
    The fee is dictated by VSP/Eyeconic. I wish I could tell you but as of now I'm looking for the invoice and I can't locate it! It was a couple months ago when I had my first (and/only) eyeconic order come through my doors. He was an outside patient so I just got the support fee only.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    question racethe132

does vsp direct members or at least give the option on eyefinity for them to do their buisness online?

I'm not positive VSP Directs their members to Eyeconic, but even so, it's out there as are hundreds of online options, so personally, I'd rather have them direct them there vs my patient going online without said direction. Once they do, it's more likely I won't see a benefit at all.

I don't see that as direct competition. Burying my head in the sand hoping and praying or foolishly thinking people don't shop online isn't an option. It's detrimental and a bad option. Much better to confront it.

Now in terms of pricing, I think the prices and I've not looked at all recently, were maybe 20% off list? No different than anything we would give a VSP Patient in office anyway. I do remember the prices were nothing the average person would "jump on" as outstanding. There are plenty of other outfits peddling frames on the cheap.

your response that the customer has chosen to leave optician joe's practice is unfair if vsp has directly given the patient a much less expensive way to purchase their eyewear.
    I still say it IS competely fair because again, I know the prices were not far from retail and still higher than most online outfits sell at. In the end, even if the product was a few bucks cheaper, if a person is willing to go online vs come to me, I've done something wrong. Especially if they were indeed a patient of mine, in my office and dealing directly with me or my staff. If all that happens and someone leaves to buy online for a few bucks, the only one I can blame is the one typing this post. We as an office have a role in keeping patients loyal.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwmack View Post
    I gave this person the white glove treatment so I hope VSP is right and he comes back. But at least we did get some $ for our time. Eyeconic doesn't bother me so far and I don't think its going to become a big player in the online market.
    ^^ this person" gets it" The white glove treatment portion of your comment is what many here fail to see as the opportunity yet claim and likely would do for anyone just walking into their shop. Ironically, I just has a person "walk in" as I was coming back from lunch. Had a pair of progressives in a rimless frame that one lens popped out of. He said it was a 4yr old frame he brough to Pearl to use as a backup second pair for his new ones. Wire was likely never replaced correctly. Fixed him up 100% earned a loyalty. He came to me not them and it was due to proximity, but he now knows what we're about. Cost me nothing to fix up.

eyeconic will use an industry average for the pupilary distance if one is not provided.
    does anyone have a problem with dispencing with that in mind.
    Not questioning the messenger, but I would like to see where that's stated. WIll see if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Yes. Combined with ownership of Marchon and extra allowances for VSP members who buy insurance company owned frames, it's a brilliant plan to take over the industry. It's death to the independent docs who take it.
    You really see it that way?

I see a loyalty program no different than Marriott giving me bonus points to charge my hotel on my Marriott Visa card vs my AMEX Card. Choice is there for the patient to make by taking $20-$50 more on a Marchon/Altair Brand or toss it out and buy something else. The ECP has a choice as to what brands to support too. I see no unfair or slick move being played out. I see no plan to take over the industry. I see a plan that goes to further insure, VSP Members use VSP Products and use the services of VSP Providers that are loyal to VSP. Makes complete sense. Why would one expect them to do otherwise? Doing so is revealing a complete lack of understanding how a business functions. IMO they were dumb for not doing this long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by erichwmack View Post
    I think Eyeconic is an attempt to balance the online market with brick and mortar VSP opticals. From the beginning every step of Eyeconic was to include the VSP providers with support fees to try and recapture the walk-outs at least partially. .......... So I would stop spending time and stress in the onlines and especially Eyeconic and spend that effort into a marketing and growing your business in the profitable demographics.
    ^^ another who "gets it"

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    race....I called them and inquired.....3 different reps from the web site told me that is there is not a PD available they will use the so called industry average
    Last edited by DickR; 01-30-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    race....we all "get it" we are just not going to support any vendor that is in direct competition with us is all.

Java you as in indepentent I am sure "get it " as well....you are correct in your assesment of the current situation.

I would love to compete head to head with some of these self rituous folks who feel the need to disparage others opinions.

remember when your margins fall and are dependent on vision plans for your revenue. saleries and benefits will fall...folks laid off .

spend more time attracting fee for service customers than being masters of how to collect nickles from your vision plans

Occupation
    Optometrist
    race....we all "get it" we are just not going to support any vendor that is in direct competition with us is all.
    Then don't buy anything because just about everyone is really competing with you. Again, I don't see Eyeconic as a competitor since they verify the Rx with the ECP and pay them as well. Who else does that? Do any other online sites have a search feature for your office? I just pulled my offices up on their site.
    I would love to compete head to head with some of these self rituous folks who feel the need to disparage others opinions.
    If you're referencing me, please don't take my points as disparaging. I challenge and debate but I'm not putting it down. Feel free to go head to head so we can both learn. Let's continue the debate.

remember when your margins fall and are dependent on vision plans for your revenue. saleries and benefits will fall...folks laid off .
    100% proof in pudding disagree. Work the plans before you and can build a huge practice that is very lucrative. Doubt that then I'll be happy to share with you some practices to go visit in your area that will show you what I mean.

spend more time attracting fee for service customers than being masters of how to collect nickles from your vision plans
    Again, if you continue to make incorrect and absurd comments about vision plans providing nickles, then please, lets debate details and plans and profits. If you aren't making money on managed care, you're doing it all wrong.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    actually race I am always learning and have been around lo\ng enough to know when someone is competeing for revenue or sharing revenue with my patients.

Race I will tell you that my practice maxamizes every penny availabe from the 2 big vision plans......I dropped all 3rd part plans excpet for 2 and my buisness has grown 10% ......just making the point that as owners of retail optical stores it is our responsability to have as a goal 100% enthusia\stically satisfied customers!!!

achieving that goal, our stores are and will be very profitable buisnesses......letting visionn plans cherry pick your best inventory for cost plus an overage isnt what i call an optimum way to do buisness.

race...question....are you a retailer or do you work for a vision plan

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    actually race i am doing everything correctly, and yes we are making money....however not to the margins needed or desired....and word absurd is a disparaging term that i feel has chilling effects on folks with valid opinions.....again i would love to compete with someone like you who feel superior to those you disagree with .....hahah it would be fun calling your practice asking for rxs....

Thread Information