Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a business consultation with Optiboard

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you are seeing the same opportunity to offer professional services and products that have been less commoditized that many MD's demonstrate in the new trend of concierge service practices that are springing up. I am working with a start-up optical shop that will further differentiate between the commoditized eyeglass frame market of "designer" frames, in part, by linking to the 60 Minutes expose of Luxottica. When you are able to explain that the brands that are marketed as designer are nothing more than price-fixed pablum of mediocre quality and offer a demonstrably better product without charging more than their expectation you create an informed and loyal consumer. This is further reinforced by having information available that demonstraites how vision insurance is a racket that puts money needlessly out of the material and services equation by funding the business interest of a non-productive parasitic third party.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Duplicate sorry.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    To try to compete with the low cost chains is only possible if you are a large chain with volume buying power and even then we have seen tons of those go out of business. It's better to compete with the best service and quality.

I disagree. I have long held that if an optical shop with just one OD and one LDO opened across the street from every WM in the licensed states they could price/quality WM optical out of business. I have seen the internal operation of WM and their prices are NOT so low as to make them invulnerable to competition. They are plagued by overhead from both the retail and the lab, poor quality, and a nearly 6 in 10 non-return of spectacle purchasers. Contact lenses, the loss leading Acuvue lenses are nearly the exact opposite with an over 7 in 10 return on purchases and there is patient loyalty toward doctors suggesting that either price is not as low as expected or, my opinion, that quality, service, and perceived value are grossly inadequate.
    Last edited by AngryFish; 01-27-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    I think that many opticians would love that type of set up(own the dispensary and get 100% of net) ...it would boost their pay quite a bitBUT it would only work if an OD/MD would be happy earning their living from chair time and procedures.
    Not necessarily. Craig expressed it best.

We have no doc. The majority of our prescriptions come from 2 docs in town, both of whom have dispensaries. It's very hard to be a great doctor and a great business manager/frame buyer/retail operator/lens expert/inventory manager at the same time. Especially when being a great doctor means spending the majority of your time in a dark room with no exposure to what's going on elsewhere in your business. It forces the doc to rely on someone else's input in the dispensary, which it not always to doc's benefit.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Not necessarily. Craig expressed it best.

We have no doc. The majority of our prescriptions come from 2 docs in town, both of whom have dispensaries. It's very hard to be a great doctor and a great business manager/frame buyer/retail operator/lens expert/inventory manager at the same time. Especially when being a great doctor means spending the majority of your time in a dark room with no exposure to what's going on elsewhere in your business. It forces the doc to rely on someone else's input in the dispensary, which it not always to doc's benefit.
    Hi Java99. What I meant was that the optician would enjoy owning the dispensary and the OD would not receive any of the revenue from optical goods at all ...ONLY perform Dr. stuff and be paid by the pt. for Dr. stuff. I think that is the type of arrangement that Craig has. I could be wrong.

Always good to hear from you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Java99. What I meant was that the optician would enjoy owning the dispensary and the OD would not receive any of the revenue from optical goods at all ...ONLY perform Dr. stuff and be paid by the pt. for Dr. stuff. I think that is the type of arrangement that Craig has. I could be wrong.

Always good to hear from you.
    Gotcha.

I know a doc here who used to own an optical. Now he works next to a chain, wants no part of the hassle of anything but what he does, and says he's making more money than he ever did. So I absolutely think ODs can prosper without selling materials. He is, and he's got 6 kids, 3 of whom are in college and 2 still in high school.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Most ODs would love to divorce optical care.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm curious ...do YOU pay the OD or do they Only get compensated from the patients that they see?
    The doctor collects all fee's directly and we pay all expenses while doing everything in my power to get them as many exams as possible. We actually get most MD patients to get a refraction for only $59 to ensure the glasses are as good as possible.
    WE LOVE HAVING OUR OD'S!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optician2601 View Post
    Do you have one door entrance? How is your optical and exam lane set up
    Room in the back of our office with her name on the door and our front windows. She is independent.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Most ODs would love to divorce optical care.
    That makes sense since it what you personally are set up to do. I am not a doctor but an expert in putting quality frames and lenses together for perfect glasses. Assuming the exam is from an OD.
    This is what we do and why we push as many refractions as possible to our doctors. This morning 4 out of our 6 exams are for refractions after already being seen at another office. All patients pay for the refraction again and never complain after seeing the difference that an exam trying to get 20/15 makes int he process.
    The patient is also informed and notified if both eyes are not corrected to 20/20. The most exact exam is only good if they get glasses to match.

Please come visit me for a few days and see if you can learn something about retail optical and we can learn more about building a medical model with not taking insurance.

It is raining today, but I am still out on the Lanai with my coffee.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Craig, it sounds very nice.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig, where in Florida are you located?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are in Fort Myers, rescue dogs as i saw you like dogs- one or two go to work everyday and have picture business cards.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

both Craig and Johns have totally disappeared ..............................

Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post

Doc, I tried cutting markup 30 years ago to counter cut rate chain pricing. It didn't work then and I think you will be better off charging reasonable markup and establishing your own niche. Take Craig or Johns for example. Two different ideas for business but both successful .

Interesting thread from the past. We also noticed that both Craig and Johns have totally disappeared from the OptiBoard scene.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Interesting thread from the past. We also noticed that both Craig and Johns have totally disappeared from the OptiBoard scene.
    OB has become an unfriendly place to be.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    :(

I hate facebook though.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I hate all social media... OB is as close as I will get and I still have to take breaks from the hostility. From what I can tell, the internet started out as sharing information, now it runs on narcissism and bull****.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    I hate all social media... OB is as close as I will get and I still have to take breaks from the hostility. From what I can tell, the internet started out as sharing information, now it runs on narcissism and bull****.
    The loss of Fezz, Johns and Craig is big though. All three taught me so much. I wish they would come back, but I understand I guess if they were being stressed out by people.

I will waste time on IMGUR, learn things on Reddit but I honestly do not enjoy facebook at all. I know I'm probably the exception.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm hearing from more and more people that they are 'quitting' FB. I was having a conversation the other day about bringing back MySpace. Remember how it was all fun and no drama?

It is hard to lose good resources like that. I wish I would have been a part of this community sooner (instead of stalking in the shadows ) but I completely understand the need to take a break from such outlets. I make it a point to only log on here while at work. I browse in my downtime but refuse to have this be a constant in my life like FB once was. I enjoy breaks from technology in general, so it isn't hard for me to stay offline however long.

And as much as OB can feel draining, it has done so much good for both members and stalkers alike. I'm happy to help if I can, even if it is just by someone browsing a thread I was a part of.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper OB has become an unfriendly place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post

There will be unfriendly people on any public forum on the internet, because it is easy for them to join, and costs nothing else than their time.

If they step out of line they will be warned and or, expelled when the need arises.

I have been watching the attendance and popularity of OptiBoard and it is still the most popular public place of the optical eyeglass industry. We have nowhere else to go anymore in the English language, and with all the major happenings in this industry on a worldwide basis we should support it by taking part in it.

Thread Information