Thread: Where are the knowledgeable opticians - hopefully here....

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Where are the knowledgeable opticians - hopefully here....

It used to be that when we needed glasses, we went to an optician. A Dr. checked your vision and the prescription was given to a clerk upfront who helped you pick a frame and discussed with you pricing based on insurance and thickness of the lens.
    Today, it is exactly the same process - so what changed?
    Today we have the internet and as consumers we can get educated before we do the purchase. The problem is that when we go with our newly acquired knowledge to a retail optometrist - they know less than us, the consumer, and it shouldn't be that way.

After reading on lenses, I learned about the Abbe value, the reflection percentage, the various coatings, the various materials, the minimum distance for progressive lenses. Nothing that would surprise anyone in the field - however I was shocked that the people I spoke to, in multiple stores - didn't know about abbe values. I was also shocked that when they were quoting me a high index lens, they couldn't tell me which manufacturer they were using, nor which exact material.

I guess they like this grey area because they can charge a high price for lenses and deliver something of unverifiable value. Today I was quoted $900 for progressive lenses. They could only tell me that they would be Trivex. Now, if I am going to pay premium, I want premium lenses and I know they should exist - but of course the opticians could not help.

I found in my research that Sola makes a finalite lens which on paper has nice parameters. But I couldn't find if they offer it in a progressive lens. I have -3.75 with astigmatism on both eyes and I need progressive lenses. The metal frame I plan to use needs a groove in the lens. If my goal was to get the best possible progressive lens with transitions which material/brand would you recommend?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would suggest you research the rules of this forum.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You stated 'Other eyecare field' as your occupation yet this clearly appears to be a consumer post. What exactly is your position? As it was spelled out very clearly when you registered, OptiBoard is for eyecare professionals only.

As per the OptiBoard Posting Guidelines:

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

All the professional Opticians on this site would love to help you solve your problems or answer your questions about your eye care and eye wear need! But vision and visual solutions can have thousands of correct as well as incorrect answers.

We care about your vision and visual needs so strongly that we must advise you to seek a professional in the eye care field. Only with in-person evaluation can you truly get a proper diagnosis. You PD and powers are simply not enough information to give you any kind of advice other than speculation. We are sure that you want the best in eye care, as we want for you. Please seek out someone that you can discuss your issues with in person.

If you need a recommendation for someone in your area, please feel free to ask and we will try to find you a knowledgeable eye care professional in your area that can help you with your truly unique needs.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With all of your newfound knowledge I don't see why you just don't bypass opticians altogether and buy glasses online? At least this way you won't have to bother dealing with all the untrained staff out there. Just saying! :-)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave WOW! I read the internet and now know everything about glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by foosy View Post
    It used to be that when we needed glasses, we went to an optician. A Dr. checked your vision and the prescription was given to a clerk upfront who helped you pick a frame and discussed with you pricing based on insurance and thickness of the lens.
    Today, it is exactly the same process - so what changed?
    Today we have the internet and as consumers we can get educated before we do the purchase. The problem is that when we go with our newly acquired knowledge to a retail optometrist - they know less than us, the consumer, and it shouldn't be that way.

After reading on lenses, I learned about the Abbe value, the reflection percentage, the various coatings, the various materials, the minimum distance for progressive lenses. Nothing that would surprise anyone in the field - however I was shocked that the people I spoke to, in multiple stores - didn't know about abbe values. I was also shocked that when they were quoting me a high index lens, they couldn't tell me which manufacturer they were using, nor which exact material.

I guess they like this grey area because they can charge a high price for lenses and deliver something of unverifiable value. Today I was quoted $900 for progressive lenses. They could only tell me that they would be Trivex. Now, if I am going to pay premium, I want premium lenses and I know they should exist - but of course the opticians could not help.

I found in my research that Sola makes a finalite lens which on paper has nice parameters. But I couldn't find if they offer it in a progressive lens. I have -3.75 with astigmatism on both eyes and I need progressive lenses. The metal frame I plan to use needs a groove in the lens. If my goal was to get the best possible progressive lens with transitions which material/brand would you recommend?
    You do make some valid points about the optical industry but internet knowledge is dangerous. What you do not understand is that it does not matter who made the blank or what flavor coating you get. That is my job to do and when you tell the surgeon how to do their job, I might be open to suggestions.
    I explain to folks we can do it your way and you pay more while assuming all risk or you can pay less and do it my way with me taking the risk.

All but one have done it my way; but he did not get Zeiss lenses the second pair he bought from me.

Are you an engineer?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by foosy View Post

1) If an optician quoted you $900 for lenses without telling you EXACTLY what lens brand/design/material/coatings etc. in full detail, that is very unfortunate and unprofessional. There must be plenty of opticians in your area who would gladly provide this information, as well as lenses which suit your needs

2) having 3.75 astigmatism is insufficient information to determine optimal lens choice. What is the axis? is there myopia/hypermetropia as well? add power? first progressives? activity? There are numerous facts which need to be gathered before making a choice. For specialized frames with groove mounts some shops prefer working with specific material, including but not limited to, trivex. Experience matters.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please do not feed the consumers.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look for an ABO-AC (American Board of Opticianry-Advanced Certified) or ABOM (Masters) optician in your area. They can most definitely answer your questions. There are a few ABOC opticians with significant experience who could help also you.

http://www.abo-ncle.org/ABO/Certific..._Database.aspx

Call the local eye institute, university hospital, and/or neuro ophthalmologist for a recommendation.

Use your knowledge of ophthalmic optics to screen for a qualified and competent ophthalmic dispenser.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Foosy, as someone that has worked in a few different Optical retail environments, I can tell you that sometimes the business is set up so the retail employee does not actually know what exact vendor/manufacturer the lab is using. It may be due to having a corporate run lab, or having store branded lenses, example would be calling a hi-index lens a Microthin, or Featherweight. If the optician is knowledgeable in the lenses they provide, it's features and benefits, and can acurately determine the best lens for your lifestyle needs, the exact vendor/manufacturer doesn't matter that much.

The other aspect of this delemma is the varying levels of training, certification, and licensing of Opticians throughout the country. Some states require an apprenticeship, passing multiple exams, a licensing procedure and continueing education requirements to work in the field, while other states simply requiring paying a fee to 'register' as an optician, and that is it. So, unfortunately this an cause a wide range in knowledge, experience and skillsets from location to location. You can search the American Board of Opticianry database http://www.abo-ncle.org/ABO/Consumer...8-d6159921f8b6 to find a Certified Optician in your area, but with the questions you have, I would also visit a few different locations, and find the personal connection/trust you would feel more comfortable with in an Optician. Sometimes the price, or the frame choice isn't what makes the best pair of glasses, it's the Optician and the relationship you build with them.

Hope this helps!
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

Thread Information