Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let me introduce myself (again)...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello again to all of you who have chimed in. Nice to get to know you better.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi, I'm Pam. I started out working in the mail room at American Optical. It got me more interested in optics so I looked for a job selling glasses but didn't have any luck. A community college was offering a two year program in Vision Care so signed up and got a two year degree. A couple of years later I got my ABO.

Since then I've worked in the industry for about 30 years. I have also done tech work and finish lab work but where I am now I just do the glasses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi, I'm J.P., my close friends call me J.P.!

I've been a dispensing Optician for 5 years now and ABO Optician for the last 4. I learned on the job never knowing anything about the industry. I was trained in a high volume very busy and High Standards and Very up to date Husband and Wife practice in North Alabama where I was the only Optician and we grew the practice into an even higher volume practice with 4 doctors and still the only Optician. I have done it all from selling, adjusting, fixing, repairing, filing, to finishing. I recently have moved to a new area and a new office where they are a bit behind in times and practices, I am no longer an "Optician", but I am Insurance, Reception, Optical advisor, and all around general office run-a-round. Needless to say, this is quite a change and a challenge to make it, however yet I seem to get through it all..... for now!

All in all, I'm just a well rounded guy that wants to advance myself even more than what I am now.

And I'm not saying that I AM Batman, but no one has ever seen me and Batman in the same room at the same time..... I'm just saying!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    Hi, I'm J.P., my close friends call me J.P.!

I've been a dispensing Optician for 5 years now and ABO Optician for the last 4. I learned on the job never knowing anything about the industry. I was trained in a high volume very busy and High Standards and Very up to date Husband and Wife practice in North Alabama where I was the only Optician and we grew the practice into an even higher volume practice with 4 doctors and still the only Optician. I have done it all from selling, adjusting, fixing, repairing, filing, to finishing. I recently have moved to a new area and a new office where they are a bit behind in times and practices, I am no longer an "Optician", but I am Insurance, Reception, Optical advisor, and all around general office run-a-round. Needless to say, this is quite a change and a challenge to make it, however yet I seem to get through it all..... for now!

All in all, I'm just a well rounded guy that wants to advance myself even more than what I am now.

And I'm not saying that I AM Batman, but no one has ever seen me and Batman in the same room at the same time..... I'm just saying!
    We'll just call you J.P. ...because you're amongst friends

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    We'll just call you J.P. ...because you're amongst friends
    Thanks Tx!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Greetings all!

I got my start in a family business in 1976 at the ripe old age of 16. I spent most of my time as a finishing tech. I left the business for a 25 year long computer career. I was supposed to have gone for academic optical training but plans fell through. The engineering degree was my plan B. I miss the optical business and always wondered what might have happened on the road not taken. I'm currently enrolled in an opticianry program and doing very well, so far. I look forward to chatting ya'll up more from here on. See you on the other side.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello onowic. WOW! finally made it to a second page... Thanks for being friendly everyone

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My first job in the field of ophthalmic optics was in 1973 as an apprentice ophthalmic dispenser, and member of Local 37 retail clerk's union, with Union Eye Care, Mishawaka IN. On to Muncie IN. with UEC, Madison WI. with Milwaukee Optical, Milwaukee WI. with North American Optics, House of Vision, Benson Optical, and my own shop in 1995 doing business as Roberts Optical.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello, I'm Clestel been in this business since I was old enough to talk (well almost) started in 1965 working in the lab for International Optical in Dallas. Now own two stores in East Texas. Certified and took the course for refraction, which didn't pass in TX. Worked for several big labs as well as the big one hour places in retail before getting smart and starting my own business. Never regretted it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My turn..

My name is Dirk and i have been lurking for quite some time on this excellent forum and have finally decided to register .It is interesting to see the developments of the industry in other countries, and the U.S. in particular. And it is comforting to see that opticians all over the world share the same passion for this trade.

I`m a certified optician and also perform eye exams. In The Netherlands(better known as Holland) opticians and optometrists do the eye tests, an optician will check the power and an optometrist does a more medical check. An optometrist can work in a optical store or in a medical practice. Unfortunately my profession is not protected by law. That means that anyone can decide to sell glasses and do eye-exams. This ludicrous situation caters to the big optical chains and internet shops.

I work for a small family run company in the middle of our country, we cater to all incomes with the emphasis on middle and high end products. In my career of some 20 years I have worked for optical chains and smaller businesses. My first 12 years I worked for the biggest optical chain in the country, wich gradually almost destroyed my love for the optical profession. Only after I made the switch to a small private-owned business I began to love my work again. Foremost I love the esthetical aspect of my work, advising customers on their new frame of choice. We do all our edging ourselves, so that we stay in control of the entire process. I see my work as an artform instead of a science.

My hobbies are comics, learning Italian, travelling and drawing.
    I hope to get know you all better and share our thoughts.

Groeten uit Holland!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Dirk,

Welcome!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi, I'm Bud! I've been in this industry for 39 years. I graduated from Ferris State College in Michigan with my associates degree and given charter membership in ABO. Most of my career has been in Ophthalmology offices, but I did a stint as a branch lab manager for Expert Optics in South Bend, In. I currently work for a large Ophthalmology practice in SW Michigan which has 7 MDs and 3 ODs, with 200-300 patients walking through our doors each week day. My hobbies are Rc planes and photography. I have been recently using cameras onboard the planes for aerial photography and getting exposure from them as they are shown during the weather segments on local tv. I also have posted several flights on You Tube. My wonderful wife and I have been married 33 years, and we finally got our only child (daughter) married off last December. Life has been good and I'm a blessed man!
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Bud...glad to hear from you.

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello, I am Kujiradesu. I live in NY and work in NJ. I am a non-licensed ophthalmic laboratory technician; however, I am currently in school and am working toward my NY and NJ licenses to dispense ophthalmic eyewear. I have been in the optical business for seven years. I love making lenses and eyewear, and cannot see myself doing anything else.
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Kujiradesu. Welcome!

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes I use my real name. Started optical career March 1960, retired,almost, November 4 2014. You do the math. Have started up 12 retail stores and sold 11, closed one due to employee who stole a bunch. Also was part owner in a wholesale lab. Enjoyed it and never had a single day that I dreaded going to work. Still work 2/3 days a week for big box retailer, great pay and no stress. Lucky me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Bill...nice to meet ya!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello everyone! My name is Kathy and I have been in the optical world for 14 years. I have worked at three optical providers, a big chain, a privately owned optical with 6 offices and now I am at a Clinic/Hospital setting. I am ABO certified and recently purchased the Advanced Tutorial and hopefully will be ready to take the exam this year. I do whatever needs to be done at the office, spending most of the time in sales and dispense. I check out this site occasionally and always find something interesting to read.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome,kemmer59..welcome!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for sharing everyone!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone New out there?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi, I am Cindy and I am an LDO, ABOC and NCLEC. I have been in optics for...cough, cough 29 years ...EEEK! I started at Eyelab back in the day...went to a Pearle Vision that subsequently closed (totally not my fault! lol) LensCrafters came to town in 1986 and I started as an "Optical Technician" meaning I took measurements and dispensed eyeglasses. I worked my way up the store level ladder becoming licensed in 1987. By 1991 I was a General Manager, teaching New Hire Orientation for the district, being a liaison for local dj advertising, was a SMART scheduling coach, new manager trainer, taught ABO classes internally, learned the entire lab process and blah blah blah. Left LC in 2001 after 14.5 years and went into private optometry for 9 years. There I learned pre-testing, contacts and insurance billing. Left there and tried retail again but only lasted one year at For Eyes. I was just a licensed optician as I truly want nothing to do with management again. Left For Eyes in 2013 and now am employed at an Ophthalmologist office. I am the Office Manager, eating my words< under the Practice Admin. I handle all the eyeglasses and contacts, sales, buying etc. I am admin assistance to the practice admin. I love this job and will never leave private practice again. I work with a great crew of people and love my patients, we have an older clientele. I have always loved what I do and good thing as it has been 29 years.
    Cindy Galloway, LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed they are not it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Heya,
    I'm Jason, but I go by Boldt, being that there are to many Jasons.
    I started off in the industry 8 years ago. I was a barista, when as a joke I asked a regular what it took to be a lab tech and Lenscrafters. I'm almost 3 years out in the non corporate world and haven't looked back.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HI guys

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow.. not sure why I didn't see this thread before, but glad I did.

Cassandra here, been Jubilee on the Optiboard for many years. Many of you Old timers might recall I got my start working for the LC back in 1994. I was working on completing my BA in Law and Society, and thought it would just get me through my college years. However, as many of us have learned, once you get optical in your blood, its hard to stay away. With LC, I worked in a total of 11 stores in 2 states (Indiana and Washington.) Had the pleasure of serving on Gift of Sight missions, and was the Regional GOS captain for several years.

I had at one time planned to go to Optometry school, prepped for the OAT, and placed my bets. However as the saying goes, Life happens. Some things you put on hold for the sake of your family, and over time become less important. I do have my ABO certification, and plan on going for the AC as soon as they start offering it again. I also have 14 credit hours towards a Masters in Public Health, but can't afford to complete it for now. I am proud to have worked just about every facet of this industry, lab, dispensing, pretest and administrative wise. After LC I have worked for private practice, managed a local wholesale lab, and even for the DOD. I am back in private practice now, where I handle lab/QA duties, insurance/admin, IT, and the *difficult* cases.

Like a good wife, I did manage to drag my hubby into optics as well. He gave up his job to move with me back to Indiana, so I got him a job working at LC. He has since moved on to the VA where he reigns the surface side in one of two optical labs the VA outright controls in the US. :)
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Thread Information