Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: v.s.p. NO-CHOICE plan

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

v.s.p. NO-CHOICE plan

welcome to 2014...where we have NO CHOICE but vsp-owned labs for specs for federal employees with the so-called v.s.p. choiceplan.

for these patients, of which there are many, you can "choose" from v.s.p. sacramento, v.s.p. Columbus, v.s.p. dallas, v.s.p fort Lauderdale, or v.s.p. Olympia. you can no longer choose from any of the hundreds of vsp affiliated labs.

does anybody have any RECENT good experiences with any of these v.s.p. owned labs ???

I don't have any recent experience, but my past experience still exasperates me.

Please weigh in !

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've had nothing but positive experiences with Hoya-Dallas.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    welcome to 2014...where we have NO CHOICE but vsp-owned labs for specs for federal employees with the so-called v.s.p. choiceplan.

for these patients, of which there are many, you can "choose" from v.s.p. sacramento, v.s.p. Columbus, v.s.p. dallas, v.s.p fort Lauderdale, or v.s.p. Olympia. you can no longer choose from any of the hundreds of vsp affiliated labs.

does anybody have any RECENT good experiences with any of these v.s.p. owned labs ???

I don't have any recent experience, but my past experience still exasperates me.

Please weigh in !
    I have personally used the VSP Columbus. Their work is top-notch and their customer service is also top-notch. Work comes in in a timely manner and if you have problems they correct them. If their retail pricing was any good I would probably use them for all my private jobs.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wait what? I have still been able to use three rivers optical or any other private vsp contract lab for federal employees so far... is this a regional thing for you?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So I learn today that I was totally wrong. We currently cannot order any FED VSP jobs through any lab but Columbus it says.

Not sure, not getting a straight answer from anyone, hearing it may be "fixed" soon...

Does anyone know anything about this?????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    So I learn today that I was totally wrong. We currently cannot order any FED VSP jobs through any lab but Columbus it says.

Not sure, not getting a straight answer from anyone, hearing it may be "fixed" soon...

Does anyone know anything about this?????
    VSP has been moving production in-house for Choice plans for sometime. Expect more VSP labs, and expect to send more exclusive jobs to those labs. If you keep VSP that is.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    I have personally used the VSP Columbus. Their work is top-notch and their customer service is also top-notch. Work comes in in a timely manner and if you have problems they correct them. If their retail pricing was any good I would probably use them for all my private jobs.
    They've done well for us too. In terms of private pay, just negotiate with their lab rep/manager. They will customize a price list based on your products of choice. XX% off list doesn't mean anything any way really. Worked for us.

You can use their labs or other contract labs..upwards of 50 or so from what I've heard. Not sure if they are appearing in the drop down menus yet but I heard that was ultimately the plan. They are selecting them based on the labs support of their unity product. Makes sense since that's the product that the Gov't negotiated into the deal for covered AR and why put a lab that doesn't support that product in as an option. Would likely be frustrating for all involved including the most important person...the patient.

All their corporate labs make the product in house and they have a new lab opening in Baltimore next month so for Tallboy here, you should be in a great spot turn time wise. I plan to go check it out soon as it's not a far drive. I plan to check out using it since the volume there will be lower and from what I hear they are well equipped to handle specialty frames.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    VSP has been moving production in-house for Choice plans for sometime. Expect more VSP labs, and expect to send more exclusive jobs to those labs. If you keep VSP that is.
    Moving work in-house just makes sense. Controlling the supply chain and branding is key for them. Took a few years but EM/Big E finally are doing the same. Why pay a contract lab? The time for them is fast growing to a close. Especially when most of them are owned by Essilor and the two are fast becoming strong competitors with one another. My guess is they will partner more closely with a handful of private labs and as I said before, my money is on them growing closer to another manufacturer too.

Don't be shocked if you see them make some strong turns in terms of branding either. They are pretty savvy and will likely begin taking Lux on directly when it comes to that.
    Last edited by racethe1320; 01-11-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Not sure, not getting a straight answer from anyone, hearing it may be "fixed" soon... Does anyone know anything about this?????
    Again, not sure you'd want to order a FED job through another lab as the unity ar will likely need to be sent to a VSP lab anyway. Sit tight as I hear their lab in Baltimore is set to open in a couple weeks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ^^ Very interesting. I heard rumours of a new Bmore lab, I didn't realize its openiing was so near in the future.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    ^^ Very interesting. I heard rumours of a new Bmore lab, I didn't realize its openiing was so near in the future.
    Yep. I know the lab Mgr. who came from Three Rivers. Their brand rep did too. Know their stuff pretty well. Looks like they have plans for a number of labs to open this year.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Imagine the following:

Once VSP has a lab in every region and the capacity to do all VSP work, they will perform 100% of VSP lab work. It will be VSP labs edging Unity lenses for Marchon/Altair frames. There will be no choice.

VSP buys an edger manufacturer or become a distributor for a manufacturer. That way they can force retailers who want to perform in-office finishing to buy their edger.

VSP will begin requiring independents to hang VSP and Marchon signs and dictate merchandise so their product is preferred, even for non-vsp patients. Why not? They will defacto own your business.

VSP will increase its online presence by either expanding its existing program or buying another online retailers. Member benefits will include buying online and going to any VSP dispenser for adjustments/issues. VSP dispensers will get a credit toward Marchon/Altair frame purchases.

I have no evidence any of the above will occur. My point is that things that seemed far fetched 10 years ago are coming to fruition today as the big dogs fight it out. Independents are the pawns in a high stakes chess match. The competition will only escalate.

I am not saying managed care exercising its control is good or bad. My only observations are that managed car plans are more proactively dictating the industry and the pace of change is escalating.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Word is that the Baltimore lab will be finish only.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Word is that the Baltimore lab will be finish only.
    No word really, they are very open about it being a finishing lab only. No need for a full production lab there when their Columbus Lab can shoot the uncut lenses out there in a days time.
    Last edited by racethe1320; 01-13-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    does anyone have anything in writing stating that federal employees can ONLY get UNITY a/r ? please share.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe they are fully cover for Unity Ar, but can pay 20 for another brand.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    I believe they are fully cover for Unity Ar, but can pay 20 for another brand.
    ^^ This.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    does anyone have anything in writing stating that federal employees can ONLY get UNITY a/r ? please share.
    As noted, covered patients have choices.

Pgs 14 & 22.

http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insura...chures/VSP.pdf

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    We find VSP Columbus to be pretty good.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree VSP Columbus is pretty good, but nowhere near as good or as quick as Toledo Optical. It always takes longer due to shipping delays compared to our twice a day courier service for Toledo. Even though they do tons of jobs a day, their frame database is never a match for Toledo's and lens only jobs that are in their database seldom fit perfectly.Chemistrie Clips are not as perfect,either. PD's are always off and never perfectly straight.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    I agree VSP Columbus is pretty good, but nowhere near as good or as quick as Toledo Optical. It always takes longer due to shipping delays compared to our twice a day courier service for Toledo. Even though they do tons of jobs a day, their frame database is never a match for Toledo's and lens only jobs that are in their database seldom fit perfectly.Chemistrie Clips are not as perfect,either. PD's are always off and never perfectly straight.
    Wow! I would talk to your rep?? I have been using them for 4 years and have only had issues with a handful of jobs and I tend to be picky! As far as something like a chem clip, I probably would have sent that somewhere else anyway? We get most jobs in 3 to 5 days, rarely ever much longer. I also get my stock the next day. My eyemed lab is another story!!:(

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had several jobs in 4thQtr 2013 that took 4-6 weeks to get from VSP Columbus. Most averaged 2 weeks. What is even better is when they try to make it up to your patient by doing a freebie, but having that one take even longer to get back! 1 problem job, or even patient.. I get. Ran a lab for a while, you get those problem jobs. However this was several...

Pretty soon you might as well state that VSP decided to change their model to Davis's. Since that is where it seems to be headed.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess we are the only lucky ones??I will start counting my blessings.. ;) I would have to say the EVERY lab probably struggled a bit during that period due to it being the busiest time of the whole year! Vsp isn't immune to the same issues ALL labs go through though. And I am NOT saying Vsp is the best, just better than average. In twenty two years doing this I have used a few:)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Pretty soon you might as well state that VSP decided to change their model to Davis's. Since that is where it seems to be headed.
    yup in a strange race to the bottom

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That info is in there info that they get. You can go to VSP online and print it out also.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Why imagine? its been happening for some time... No evidence? (tongue in cheek) There will be a VSP Optical sign up in your neighborhood very soon

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Tabor View Post
    Imagine the following:

Once VSP has a lab in every region and the capacity to do all VSP work, they will perform 100% of VSP lab work. It will be VSP labs edging Unity lenses for Marchon/Altair frames. There will be no choice.

VSP buys an edger manufacturer or become a distributor for a manufacturer. That way they can force retailers who want to perform in-office finishing to buy their edger.

VSP will begin requiring independents to hang VSP and Marchon signs and dictate merchandise so their product is preferred, even for non-vsp patients. Why not? They will defacto own your business.

VSP will increase its online presence by either expanding its existing program or buying another online retailers. Member benefits will include buying online and going to any VSP dispenser for adjustments/issues. VSP dispensers will get a credit toward Marchon/Altair frame purchases.

I have no evidence any of the above will occur. My point is that things that seemed far fetched 10 years ago are coming to fruition today as the big dogs fight it out. Independents are the pawns in a high stakes chess match. The competition will only escalate.

I am not saying managed care exercising its control is good or bad. My only observations are that managed car plans are more proactively dictating the industry and the pace of change is escalating.

Thread Information