Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Independant Labs? Who and where are your favorites? And why?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticaldiva View Post
    We like the Eyeworks lab in Rochester, NY. They are a small digital lab, independent, rock their own private label digital and AR at a reasonable price. If you have a question or need something, you call the owner or the lab manager...that's it, it's taken care of. No red tape, no big rule book. Awesome redo policy that really helps the ecp and customer.
    Welcome to the Board!
    Where are you Diva?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't switched to an independent lab...my current lab was independent, but then they were bought out. The reason I haven't changed is mainly because of the payment policies (the fact that they produce good work is helpful, too! ). Bottom line is they allow me to pay my bill at the end of the month instead of the beginning without penalty. For me, right now, that is HUGE and helpful. I plan to do some research in a few months when some of my obligations are completed, just to see what's out there, but I have a sense of loyalty to my current lab for hanging in there with me during my ups and downs of being a small business owner, so it would have to be one heck of a value for me to consider switching.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Lenny I'm from Western NYS. Now I See is correct about labs needing to be flexible. Independents too can be flexible! They can handle slow pay, they just can't handle no pay. Talk to the receivables person at any lab. Very few people can pay net 10 or 20. They need your business so please do investigate the independents when you are ready just so you do not keep feeding the beast that is ruining our industry. We do not use Essilor labs at our office as a matter of principle. You can always find an independent with good service and flexible pay terms.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    To chime in from an independent lab- we certainly have no problem working with anyone. As opticaldiva says, as long as everyone lives up to their end of the bargain, we're all happy.

You're probably likely to get better deals from independents than certain unnamed large corporations, regardless of whether it's me or someone like me.

The main thing you really need to keep in mind when buying things like progressive lenses is that they're all constrained by the same rules of physics. So when do you necessarily need to pay more for a lens? Try out everyone's claims and decide for yourself.

The very worst case of trying an independent lab is going back to the corporate one you have now.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticaldiva View Post
    Now I See is correct about labs needing to be flexible. Independents too can be flexible! They can handle slow pay, they just can't handle no pay.
    NOW the indys will work with anyone, but in the past, when their was more than enough business to go around, many indys would kick you to the curb if you weren't paying by the 15th of each month. If they are now willing to work with ALL accounts, they need to find a way to communicate that.

I am a huge supporter of indy labs, but I know that some have had to reinvent themselves, on all levels to try to save their hides.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    yes they are, but can you share the... "why" ? Thanks.
    Sorry sharp! :)

Its because I love their rep, they have stepped up when other labs went corporate or treated us wrong (walman sending me an uncut lens EIGHT times before it came in correct)
    They know my voice I guess, their house freeformPALs have treated us very very well for the last 12 months.

If I didn't have such a good relationship with them Luzerne would be my next choice, in fact I was about to start using them for Seiko lenses but their rep in my area passed away... (a really nice guy and a great loss to the optical business in the maryland area)

Anyway its 3 Rivers for me. That being said I do almost 90% of my own edgework so their ability and skill with in house edging isn't as important to me.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My favorites:

1. Identity Optical -- I deal with only three people: Peter Kimmerling, Will, and MJ. They're all awesome, and the lab is the easiest on with which to work.
    2. Rochester Optical -- Easy to work with, and they really seem to work hard to improve.
    3. FEA -- they are especially aggressive in pricing and have an extensive range of products.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just hired a new rep for Maryland at Luzerne. PM me and I'll give her a shout.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Prentice Optical Lab (But I'm horribly biased on that one.)

Laramy-K: Janet and the gang turn out great products and have great service!
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Toledo Optical isn't exactly independent after being acquired by the Walman Group but the group is employee owned and nothing has changed in their great customer service, warranties and policies. They have benefitted from this alliance by introducing the industries first (that I have heard of) aspheric base digital free-form progressive. Pooling resources does offer advantages in technical advances.

Save $$$$ with Acculab
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    So you don't sell any Essilor products?

We try our hardest not to but its pretty close to impossible to be 100% E free these days. They have their hands in just about everything.

Occupation
    There's also the question as to whether 'Essilor products' means Varilux, or anything sold by an Essilor owned company. And there's also a difference between just offering something on a price list, and actively promoting it.
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by JC1111 View Post
    We try our hardest not to but its pretty close to impossible to be 100% E free these days. They have their hands in just about everything.
    Rather than quoting your first post I can only ask if you use Essilor product what makes it so wrong for others to do so?
    Last edited by Plausible; 01-15-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by other_bill_fea View Post
    There's also the question as to whether 'Essilor products' means Varilux, or anything sold by an Essilor owned company. And there's also a difference between just offering something on a price list, and actively promoting it.
    True, by offering on the price list you do not promote it, but by listing a price for it that is lower then others can buy blanks might!

Thread Information