Thread: Good lens material for Army shooter

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Good lens material for Army shooter

I have a client in the Army who is looking for the best combination of material and coatings for shooting. He says that contacts are out because they dry out too easily. Obviously scratch resistance and AR are needed but I am stumped beyond that. Any suggestions?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    poly or trivex.

Occupation
    Are you a new optometrist?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mshimp View Post
    Are you a new optometrist?
    no one likes a bitter optiboardaholic.
    depending on his RX i would consider poly with crizal saphire. the poly is lighter, thinner and impact resistant. Crizal saphire has a lovely blue hue as opposed to the green hue making it less obvious. I would also recommend a mat frame with no bling so it doesn't reflect light. nothing worse then a flashy frame in the bush to give away your position.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trivex (wasn't NXT a DoD project?) ... maybe with AR, think of rapid temperature change and what that can do to AR. The scratch resistance would be great though!

Occupation
    "no one likes a bitter optiboardaholic". Sometimes there are "TROLLS" that loom around this site. I was only questioning optitrees Identity . No bitterness here. Otherwise welcome to optiboard optitree.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would go with Trivex, it is chemical resistant not subject to shrinkage or warping under temperature changes, optically superior, more impact resistant than polycarbonate. There is no mention of deployment nor the conditions in which he intends to use them, which may alter the use of AR. NXT, is a polarized product that may prove to limit the usage.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    There is no mention of deployment nor the conditions in which he intends to use them, which may alter the use of AR. NXT, is a polarized product that may prove to limit the usage.
    BINGO! Mr Smith.
    I despise how people sometimes read things into your question that you never asked.........just turns into a WTH moment

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would personally put the patient in either a rudy project or wiley x frame. Depending on the script my first choice would be Rudy project with a Hoya Phoenix lens and the super hi-vision EX3 and possibly transitions vantage. You can also use a yellow shooting lens or red lens and then you get a multiple lens sale from the patient :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not trying to be a harbinger of bad news but you are asking for advice and you had better be very cautious about recommending frames/RX adapters and tints. There are some questions you need to ask this individual:
    Is this to be used for deployment.
    What specific duties/requirements are these for.
    Will he be wearing a helmet.
    Will he be wearing them indoor/outdoor.
    General weather conditions if outdoor. An RX adapter can create condensation and vision issues.
    Tints should be left to the individual not all shooters like tints some can hinder the performance of sophisticated optic systems ie...polarized lenses.
    AR can scratch in arid regions.
    Just some food for thought.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would suggest Kaenon Sunglasses or Ophthalmic Collection. There SR-91 polarized prescription lens is the best I've ever worn. Read about it on their website @ http://www.kaenon.com

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    This isn't a recommendation since we don't know all the details of what this guy is looking for or the conditions. BUT have you all seen the Dillon Optics sunglasses. The lenses have a special surface (they say its not a coating so it wont scratch off) that makes it matte finish. This way there isn't any glare given off the front surface to give away your position. They developed them in mind of supplying the military. They are polarized and backside AR however. I also think that as of now they have only made the lenses out of CR39. The next phase they told me was to make them in RX'able poly. The company moves SLOW, its a solo project the last time I met them.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are people seriously recommending poly for this application? Trivex with top tier AR for sure (Avance or similar). Or with polarized brown trivex and backside AR for brighter conditions.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trivex and a top of the line AR are great starting points. Make sure you ask if they need to be APEL before getting too far into specifics. The military can and often does specify what kind of glasses their personnel can wear at work, deployed or not.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are we really recommending solutions without even knowing the RX or anything more than Army and shooter? Also, I may be new here myself, but this smells a little like a consumer. Why is the "Optometrist" asking opticians online for advice about lens materials?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Given that OP posted over a month ago, can we let this thread drop off the front page now please?

But yeah, trivex

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by joptid View Post
    Are we really recommending solutions without even knowing the RX or anything more than Army and shooter? Also, I may be new here myself, but this smells a little like a consumer. Why is the "Optometrist" asking opticians online for advice about lens materials?
    It wouldn't be the first time an OD has asked for lens advise from an optician. Given the breadth of this board it would be an obvious choice. However, it is interesting that the author for this particular thread has remained silent, not even a thanks. A prime example of how under appreciated this profession has become. Still, it's too early to draw a warm bath and slit out wrists.

Thread Information