Thread: Dispensing Optician needs advice. Old Frames- What to do with them???

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dispensing Optician needs advice. Old Frames- What to do with them???

I took over an optical department that was suffering to say the least. A year later we have basically spent the year reorganizing. Ended up selling many of the old frames that I found stashed away but still have about 350 in overstock that we need to get rid of and I'd really like to revamp the entire boards and get rid of everything. We have the capacity of about 700 on our boards but we don't turn them over but maybe 1 or 1 1/2 times a year. I'd like to bring the count down to were we could be turning them all over 3 to 4 times a year. But point being we have 1000+ Frames. What do you do with them?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You might consider donating them to a school or charity that provides eyewear to the poor in some God forsaken foreign hell hole. Run this by your accountant to see if it is a best practice.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    You might consider donating them to a school or charity that provides eyewear to the poor in some God forsaken foreign hell hole.
    Hey! That's not nice...I've got friends from Detroit! (I can say that because I live near a similar third world-like local...)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah have thought of that. And definitely a possibility. I could possibly even sell the Dr. on making glasses for donations but don't really know where to look for information as far as tax write off for it ect.... I mean we obviously just can't take a complete loss on this product. We also have an overstock on lenses as well. Several thousand pairs of lenses.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by justdhogan View Post
    Yeah have thought of that. And definitely a possibility. I could possibly even sell the Dr. on making glasses for donations but don't really know where to look for information as far as tax write off for it ect.... I mean we obviously just can't take a complete loss on this product. We also have an overstock on lenses as well. Several thousand pairs of lenses.
    If you decide to just get rid of them, I'll take them. I go to Haiti every year. And I may start going to Domincan Republic and SSudan.
    P
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting. So do you go to Haiti contributing eyeglasses to the needy? I've heard of some programs that do that? You can email me more details and I'll definitely look it over. Hey I am open to anything. I want rid of everything. The bean counters don't want to lose out totally on the financial aspect. So I've got to come up with a solution that is conducive to both those goals.

Chemistrie Eyewear
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The owner(s) of your shop should be able to get a tax deduction for the cost of this inventory. How this deduction flows through from the business's books to the owner's personal tax return depends upon whether the business is a c-corp, s-corp, partnership or sole proprietorship. Your CPA or tax accountant should know how to handle this so your owner can get a tax deduction and recover approximately 30% to 40% of the cost.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do a BOGO sale with them. Or sell premium lenses and give away the frames.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Break them into lots of 10 or 15 and sell on ebay, if they are vintage consider selling as such on etsy.
    have a buy one get one sale( free pair from old stock display) Do a buy one give one- tis the season and all, when a patient buys a pair you donate A pair to your designated charity. Set a goal of donating 300 pair by what ever date and market it heavily, maybe will get people in the mood to buy??
    Do a 39, 59 or 79$ special with sv lenses for second pair- readers, computer etc. have a two for 99 sale including sv lenses- use up the overstock lenses at same time.
    check with your frame reps some will take your old stock and give you 1/2 off new frames.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great ideas Ic20/20! Great way to get rid of them and make a small profit from them. Some reps will also do 1 for 1 just to get their stuff on your boards. Try to sell first though, even at a small profit, its the better option.

Good luck with your continuing changeover justdhogan!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting. So do you go to Haiti contributing eyeglasses to the needy? I've heard of some programs that do that? You can email me more details and I'll definitely look it over. Hey I am open to anything. I want rid of everything. The bean counters don't want to lose out totally on the financial aspect. So I've got to come up with a solution that is conducive to both those goals.
    Yes, I do refractions and try to give what I've got to those that have nothing. We go out in the country where it's mostly the very, very poor. We went to what they call Canaan, it's where the residents from Port au Prince went after the earthquake and set up a tent like city. Now there are many dwellings, and mostly dwellings still under construction. They just do one brick at a time as they can get them until their house is built. I use house in the most loose term possible. Also, the government will not acknowledge their "city" and so they don't get any help from them as far as resources for water, electric or the like. We also go to Caberet, farther out in the country. Last time I took all my donated glasses in the powers I thought would be most useful, and then made a bunch of Spherical +/- 4D single vision using frames my church purchased at cost through my employer. SO, that is what I would use the frames for, so we wouldn't have to buy any when I go to make more new ones to take. Anyhow, PM me after you've gone through your options and have decided what you would like to do. Our church website has pictures up of some of our trips if you'd like to browse feel free. http://www.hopefulbaptist.com/templa...em/details.asp
    http://www.hopefulbaptist.com/templa...lbum&LID=30126
    Here are some pics of our last trip.
    P
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great Ideas from everyone and gives me the needed fresh inspiration to go forward. Oh should have mentioned that When I originally found the overstock frames their were probably close to 800+ (Conservative estimate). We've made more from these old frames than we have any single designer line. We've been doing some BOGO sales, fire sales, and marketing. Thanks again for the ideas, encouragement, and advice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can donate them domestically and take the tax break: look up Remote Area Medical.

Thread Information