Thread: Working/Managing for Costco vs. Walmart

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Working/Managing for Costco vs. Walmart

I know many if not most Optiboarders have a low opinion of big box/discount opticals, but I have a question for those who, like me, have spent a substantial amount of time working in one or several. Specifically, anyone who has worked or managed for both Walmart and Costco, how would you compare the experiences? What is the work atmosphere, potential for promotion, pay, customer base, operations, OD relations, etc. like at Costco? I've read great things about them as an employer in general and have been considering pursuing a position at one somewhere in northern Florida, Georgia, South Carolina or North Carolina. Any information that would be inappropriate for public consumption (i.e. pay) please feel free to pm. Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've never worked at either place, but I know a number of people who do. I get the impression those who work at Costco are much, much happier in their jobs than those who work at the other place. They are paid better and generally are treated better.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked for and was an Optical Manager at Wal-Mart for many years. I was originally hired by an ABOM (Master Optician) in a non-licensed state who put a lot of effort into making sure all his employees were given proper training to do his/her job. We had individual staff members that were skilled in lab procedures, others were more skilled in the pre-testing/technician side, contact lenses (I & R), inventory management/ordering, etc. at this Wal-Mart location. We had a very well-rounded crew, I enjoyed working with them and we were all competent in our own areas. After graduating college (with a B.A. degree in a different field), I didn't find a job that I wanted in my field right away. So, I had already completed a year of on the job training and completed a company sponsored optical training program (produced by Sola/Carl Zeiss), I was promoted to Optical Manager at a different location. After a few more years in the field, Wal-Mart paid for me to get my ABO and NCLE Certifications. I worked a few more years, and another manager position came up for a higher volume store (more bonus potential) in a licensed state, so I decided to take it. As soon as I found out I got the job, I contacted the state board to find out what I had to do to become licensed. At Wal-Mart, if an Optical Manager becomes licensed, there is a SIGNIFICANT raise given at that time after you receive your actual license. They also reimbursed me for the cost of all the testing (computer part, practical part, & initial registration), which was roughly $1,000 at that time. I always enjoyed the people I worked with, most of them do care about providing patients with the best vision with the resources they are given. Some were smarter than others and put more effort into their work, which I think happens everywhere. At Wal-Mart, we did have the option of which frames and lenses to choose from like Younger, Zeiss, Essilor, Nikon, even a digital (free form) lens, good AR coating, Transitions, Polarized (Grey, Brown, G15), etc. We had some name brand frames like J-Lo, Randy Jackson, Flexon, Aspex Flex, Drill Mounts (Totally Rimless), Sophia Loren, etc. I've heard that Costco is a great company to work for, good to excellent pay, but only has a very select few frames and lens styles/designs to choose from. Costco tends to have a perfect "member" experience attitude and will do things (sometimes against company policy) to satisfy a member - like refunding glasses and letting them keep them also. The reason I left Wal-Mart was in part due to the fact that Optical merged with Pharmacy (I had a Pharmacist as my boss/District Manager), the fact that I got bored with what I was doing and there was no room for promotion because the District Managers had to be responsible for Pharmacy and Optical, which is a nightmare in most locations. They wanted Opticians to do thousands of vision screenings in the store per week, cross merchandise in the store, work in other areas like Pharmacy, and they didn't really understand the concept of paying for someone's professional advanced knowledge or work ethic. I felt like they were trying to re-invent the "optical" wheel per say when it wasn't needed. However, my pay and benefits were very good and I was able to make my own schedule pretty much as long as there was coverage. We always seemed busy because customers were always stopping by just to "look around" and made the time go by pretty fast. If you have any specific questions, PM me. Good luck!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FL-Opt, It sounds like you and I have had very similar Walmart experiences. Have you worked/do you now work at Costco? If so, what was it like for you coming from the perspective of a former Walmart employee?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    JohnRoss,
    I have never worked for Costco but I have friends that do and have talked to several Opticians there. Biggest complaint is the same as with most all corporate opticals, like retail hours (working nights/weekends), corporate controls everything, and less options/choices in frames and lenses. I've been told that their pay and other benefits are excellent. I imagine Costco is similar to working at a Sam's Club.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Costco takes many more holidays than Wal-Mart plus the hours are not as long as Wal-Mart.

I'd take Costco employment over Wal-Mart all things being equal.

Thread Information