Thread: Zeiss SL120 help

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Zeiss SL120 help

I need to put in a new brightness control "Potentiometer" by the joy stick. My question is how hard is this task.
    and would you by chance have a pictured instruction page that I can use.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Robert
    There are many things in life that catch your eye... but very few things will catch your heart.... Pursue those!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wagner View Post
    I need to put in a new brightness control "Potentiometer" by the joy stick. My question is how hard is this task.
    and would you by chance have a pictured instruction page that I can use.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Robert
    I don't have illustrations and haven't changed that particular model or part but I can tell you its going to be fairly simple.

The knob needs to be removed first to remove the part this is done by loosening a set screw and pulling the knob forward.

Next open the compartment that houses the component, you should have screws that mount it to the housing, be it inside or outside the compartment won't matter much remove them.

Next step, (double check you're not hooked up to power) you'll see a wire coming from the on/off switch and going to the potentiometer, then a wire going from the potentiometer through the equipment up to the light bulb housing. Unscrew those wires from the old potentiometer and replace with the new.

Plug it in and double check that everything works before you revers steps. Potentiometers are analog devices and have no polarity so the direction of the weires don't matter much making it really simple. What's happening is the turn of the dial on the potentiometer is increasing or reducing its resistance which limits the flow of electricity through the wire up to the light bulb housing resulting in a brighter or dimmer glow of the bulb. Newer digital equipment will use PWM pulse width modulation which is just a fancy way of describing the pulsing of an electrical signal to make a diode seem dimmer or brighter.

Hope that helps, a little direction, background, and future of the particular part you're working on.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Thread Information