Thread: VSP and Medicaid

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

VSP and Medicaid

Hey all, we were just 'signed up' for the new VSP-Medicaid program, any one know what this is all about? And why am I so suspicious?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    there is a nice long thread about this kicking around somewhere. it was slightly informative until it degenerated into an argument about letting insurance dictate how you run your business :) you know, the ush.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...5973-It-begins is this the program you're referring to? they provide frames and lenses for a $25 dispensing fee? or is this something new that they are doing in NH? i know your medicaid program is a lot more generous than ours (here in maine)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No forced frames, we can provide them any cheap crud we want, or they get a $30 discount on non-approved frames (of we approve, very confused) and they have a vsp auth..... Just wondering if VSP has officially taken over a part of the government... Granted probably run better but.......

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hmm .. thats interesting. i'd like to know what you find out on that :) sounds ........ weird.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like they are partnering with a health plan for risk-based services.

If it is like Indiana's, VSP will handle the vision portion of one of the managed care entities for medicaid. All the same rules will apply to reimbursement, materials, service limitations, etc. You will just have to get your authorization for services and will receive payment from VSP.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can optician owners in California apply to take Medi-caid for frame and lenses only? Can opticians also become a VSP provider for frame and lenses only, if there is an optometrist next door?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Im in Keene NH and we've been working with it for a few months now. You can edge your own lenses in house, you can add additional upgrades like AR, transition, progressive lenses and scratch coating without prior or medically necessary approval (at U&C fees to the patient). With Oficemate it's surprisingly simple to enter the order and bill 3rd party. If you have any specific questions ill be happy to try and field them for you. Im no expert mind you but ive been working with Medicaid for a while. Oh! P.S. were only taking the Wellsense and straight Medicaid plans right now. We haven't shacked up with Healthy families. Straight Medicaid is being phased out at the end of the year (or before February I forget which) so eventually everyone will be either Wellsense or Healthy Famillies.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    Im in Keene NH and we've been working with it for a few months now. You can edge your own lenses in house, you can add additional upgrades like AR, transition, progressive lenses and scratch coating without prior or medically necessary approval (at U&C fees to the patient). With Oficemate it's surprisingly simple to enter the order and bill 3rd party. If you have any specific questions ill be happy to try and field them for you. Im no expert mind you but ive been working with Medicaid for a while. Oh! P.S. were only taking the Wellsense and straight Medicaid plans right now. We haven't shacked up with Healthy families. Straight Medicaid is being phased out at the end of the year (or before February I forget which) so eventually everyone will be either Wellsense or Healthy Famillies.
    Chaoticneutral - How do you edge your own lenses for medicaid plans? And how did you enroll to become a medicaid provider? Do you think it applies in California? Please advise.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optician2601 View Post
    Chaoticneutral - How do you edge your own lenses for medicaid plans? And how did you enroll to become a medicaid provider? Do you think it applies in California? Please advise.
    sent a pm

Thread Information