Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinner Than a 1.74?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Thinner Than a 1.74?

Hello all,

I have a patient who is very particular about the thickness of her lenses. Her RX is OD -11.50+1.50X15 OS -12.25+0.50X150 with a 2.25 ADD OU. She ordered a Physio Enhanced in 1.74 high index with Crizal Avance. When they came in there was a lot of thickness on the sides but that should be expected with the type of RX she has, right? Well, when she came to pick up she was furious. She stated that in Colorado she ordered her glasses and they were always thin and you could barely see the edges sticking out from the frame. Now, she also said this was back in 2008. Was there a type of lens being used at that time that is no longer available that would get the lenses much thinner? Also, are there any other options to look at for the lenses before we discuss choosing a different frame. She is in a metal frame now (A: 52 B: 29 ED:52 DBL:17) and if there are no other options for lenses we will look at moving into a plastic frame to hide a little more of the thickness. Also, we use an Essilor lab so I would need options that they would be capable of doing.

If you have any advice or suggestions at all, they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    High index glass? 1.8 or 1.9.

Zeiss make a 1.9 still, maybe Hoya do too.

Back in 2008, nothing thinnner than 1.74AS

A=52, don't you think that might be a little large for an rx this high? She'd be better served by getting a smaller frame.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The air is thinner in Colorado compared to Alabama, why not their lenses?
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have a similar prescription. Is her new frame larger than her old? All you can do is educate your patient about the possibilities and the science. A -11 lens of any material is always going to stick out from a metal frame unless it's an absurdly small eye size. I would never wear that RX in a metal frame; I do only zyl, semi-rimless, or drill mounts.

At some point, when you have a high prescription, you just have to accept the fact that your lenses are going to have some edge thickness. Your patient may not have the maturity to accept that.
    Last edited by AngeHamm; 12-06-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    semi-rimless, or drill mounts
    I know it's your rx, but how do these two options help with edge thickness? Don't they make it worse?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    I know it's your rx, but how do these two options help with edge thickness? Don't they make it worse?
    They don't make it thicker; my edges are always thick enough to groove, so nothing needs to be added. What they do is make the edge of the lens the aesthetic "edge" of the frame, which is a big cosmetic improvement over 1mm of metal with 3mm of lens sticking out behind it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Smart frame choice with good eye decentration will do waaaaay more than a different index.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course frame size matters hugely here. Even an extra millimeter of eyesize (or even simply decentration) will have a noticeable effect. How do the new frames compare to the old that have the magical zero thickness?

Also to be sure the Physios are as thin as possible, check the base curve and center thickness. One might think digital technology eliminates typical lab manufacturing flubs, but it does not. I have received occasional poor base curve choices and atrocious thicknesses in digital from every lab I have used. Base should 0.5 and center thickness 1.5 for tolerance, though I would have them do it at 1.0mm. Some will say you can't specify thickness parameters on digital lenses (Essilor loves to try this). Tell them to do it anyway, they can.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Smart frame choice with good eye decentration will do waaaaay more than a different index.
    yeah, this.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethBrandon View Post
    Hello all,

I have a patient who is very particular about the thickness of her lenses. Her RX is OD -11.50+1.50X15 OS -12.25+0.50X150 with a 2.25 ADD OU. She ordered a Physio Enhanced in 1.74 high index with Crizal Avance. When they came in there was a lot of thickness on the sides but that should be expected with the type of RX she has, right? Well, when she came to pick up she was furious. She stated that in Colorado she ordered her glasses and they were always thin and you could barely see the edges sticking out from the frame. Now, she also said this was back in 2008. Was there a type of lens being used at that time that is no longer available that would get the lenses much thinner? Also, are there any other options to look at for the lenses before we discuss choosing a different frame. She is in a metal frame now (A: 52 B: 29 ED:52 DBL:17) and if there are no other options for lenses we will look at moving into a plastic frame to hide a little more of the thickness. Also, we use an Essilor lab so I would need options that they would be capable of doing.

If you have any advice or suggestions at all, they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Find a lab doing the IOT digital lenticular and you can make the lenses super thin on the edges even in larger frames. I find that when using a digital lenticular I WANT 3-5mm of decentration per eye, this allows me to specify a bowl size so that the nasal side has no lenticularization and the temporal sides gets the 3-5mm blend. I have a simple formula I use to calc out the job just PM me if you need.

Sorry I don't know of anything E that works well.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto DITTO DITTO.........I concur CONCUR CONCUR.

If the patients pd is 63 then with a Rx like this the frame pd should be NO MORE 63.
    The more round the shape is the thinner the lens will be. Its not any ONE thing you do. It is the right combination of frame shape, frame thickness, frame pd, patients pd, lens material.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This once more.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    The more round the shape is the thinner the lens will be. Its not any ONE thing you do. It is the right combination of frame shape, frame thickness, frame pd, patients pd, lens material.
    Good advice and order, the lens material is last in the line of ways to thin a lens out. Properly fitted a frame should do most of the heavy lifting.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Isn't there a "360" digitally made lens that's considered extra thin? I've heard about it just didn't know how effective it is on a myopic patient of this stature. And of course you've got to consider the frame, most of all.
    Nathan Griffith, ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    The more round the shape is the thinner the lens will be.
    Okay I don't want to be that guy but...

Round shapes lead to better UNIFORM edge substance. A round 55 eye frame (which you'd obviously never see) would still have huge edges (with this rx).

This important consideration, as CCGREEN mentioned is frame pd.

I think I'm being too picky. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiGriff View Post
    Isn't there a "360" digitally made lens that's considered extra thin? I've heard about it just didn't know how effective it is on a myopic patient of this stature. And of course you've got to consider the frame, most of all.
    360 is the older iteration, now updated to Enhanced. There is nothing especially thin about any of Essilor's products over any competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Find a lab doing the IOT digital lenticular and you can make the lenses super thin on the edges even in larger frames. I find that when using a digital lenticular I WANT 3-5mm of decentration per eye, this allows me to specify a bowl size so that the nasal side has no lenticularization and the temporal sides gets the 3-5mm blend.
    Absolutely this will dramatically reduce thickness, these designs look great. However, one would have to ditch Varilux.

Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    Okay I don't want to be that guy but...

Round shapes lead to better UNIFORM edge substance. A round 55 eye frame (which you'd obviously never see) would still have huge edges (with this rx).
    Always good to be technically correct, especially in a community of professionals. I "streamline" explanations to customers every day, and sometimes the mantras get so stuck in my brain I have to stop and remind myself of the technical facts.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only time edge thickness will be uniform in a round shape is if there is 0 decentration and the rx is a sphere. As Andrew says, choose your frame wisely.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    The air is thinner in Colorado compared to Alabama, why not their lenses?
    Wow Robert, that's a good one. I don't have anything to add to this thread, I think it has mostly been said already, But I will duplicate what a few have said, just for emphasis, It's all about frame size, and communication. If you have picked a larger frame, you will have larger lenses. Good luck ElizabethBrandon, I hope you learn from this particular instance, and from the good advice given here in this thread.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Find a lab doing the IOT digital lenticular and you can make the lenses super thin on the edges even in larger frames. I find that when using a digital lenticular I WANT 3-5mm of decentration per eye, this allows me to specify a bowl size so that the nasal side has no lenticularization and the temporal sides gets the 3-5mm blend. I have a simple formula I use to calc out the job just PM me if you need.

This is late to the party, but would you happen to still have that formula or an updated one, MakeOptics?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to Optiboard eyemechs!

pm sent

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    This once more.
    and this

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't think frame choice makes a lick of difference.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I don't think frame choice makes a lick of difference.
    ....Really??? You don't understand how a -11.00 lens will be thinner in a 48mm frame than a 58?
    Last edited by AngeHamm; 04-01-2021 at 12:59 PM.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're all responding to post #19 here... yes?

"digital lenticular"
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-01-2021 at 01:30 PM. Reason: tweak...

Thread Information