Thread: Could this be the end of opticianry?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Could this be the end of opticianry?

Can this be the future of on-line glasses? Could this be the end of the optician as we know it?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ama.../1100-6416496/

You log on to Intergalactic Eyewear . com and enter your frame selection and your address. Thirty minutes a drone shows up in your dooryard. You look into this binocular thingy for five seconds; the drone beeps, the 3D printer does its thing and out pops a complete pair of eyewear.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Forget the glasses...I'll take the drone equipped with onboard 3d printer and pupilometer...Hmmm...Where'd I put that cast net?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is Gamestop's article about the 60 minutes article about Amazon. Is there a link for Intergalactic Eyewear? When I google it, the closest I get is Intergalactic Sunwear frame from Karen Walker (with similar results on yahoo and bing)
    Last edited by jpways; 12-02-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jpways View Post
    Is there a link for Intergalactic Eyewear?
    Wasn't that a joke name?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper We should take this serious ..........................................

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

Can this be the future of on-line glasses? Could this be the end of the optician as we know it?

We should take this serious and not laugh at it. Have there not been the biggest changes in our field of retail and wholesale optics over the last 6-7 years out of the last 50 of them ?

I heard about drone delivery by Amazone on the news last Friday, where I ordered a new microwave oven that got delivered here in Florida on Monday morning at 10.00am at no charge by UPS. The actual saving was $ 40.00 and not one drop of gasoline.

We are all just not making the sales of millions of pairs of glasses that are sold through the internet at much lower prices and should wake up to the facts. Opticians could very well sell at competitive prices and charge a la carte for the extra labour and service like a plumber does.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm sure some of you know this already, but I just learned of it the other day. One online eyewear site has the patient hold up a CD in front of their nose and take a picture which they send in and the company calculates the PD.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And there's the ipod and android apps that have people holding a credit card (magnetic strip up) that measures pd

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

credit card PD .....................................

Like this one

from -------------------------> http://www.daniellivingston.com/2012...-distance.html
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 12-04-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    sublime

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    According to Popular Science magazine back in the 1960's we would all be flying our cars to work by now.

Not saying the drone thing will never happen, but I'll believe it when it happens. Wasn't the future for computers back in the 70's a half a dozen huge computers for the country, not one on everyone's belt?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I realize that DanLiv is an active poster and a very good optician who is passionate about the profession but I'm not sure why he posted the pd credit card method on his website.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    With the advancement in technology, everything is going online but to get an eye test i would still prefer visiting an optician for more accurate results. Coz health problems could not be dealt online in a better way.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Every week a few people talk about how insane they think the idea of purchasing glasses online is. Most are only in their 40s or 50s. I figure there's still at least 30 years left before my kids generation does everything online. Reason number one not to encourage my kids to go into opticianry.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry I am a bit late to this party, but I would like to point out that on Dan's site, he is discussing how this method is flawed.

"The idea is sound. It's a simple ratio equation. But the app is notoriously flawed and inaccurate. Witness it's awesome 1 star rating and the many uncomplimentary comments."

He also goes on to discuss why the variance it gives is so bad.

I believe there is a spot for opticianry in the future. I believe that an optician who knows their stuff, knows how to differentiate an office, and has business savvy is going to be successful as we all negotiate the next few years.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Sorry I am a bit late to this party, but I would like to point out that on Dan's site, he is discussing how this method is flawed.

"The idea is sound. It's a simple ratio equation. But the app is notoriously flawed and inaccurate. Witness it's awesome 1 star rating and the many uncomplimentary comments."

He also goes on to discuss why the variance it gives is so bad.

I believe there is a spot for opticianry in the future. I believe that an optician who knows their stuff, knows how to differentiate an office, and has business savvy is going to be successful as we all negotiate the next few years.
    thanks Jubilee!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    I realize that DanLiv is an active poster and a very good optician who is passionate about the profession but I'm not sure why he posted the pd credit card method on his website.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    I discuss several of the methods commonly available with the onliners, and even offer a simpler and improved method to measure your own PD. I did it simply out of desire to put correct information out there. It's not secret lore to which opticians are the gatekeepers. Obtaining a PD is not a barrier to anyone who wants to get glasses online, nor is it the reason real opticians are in business. People want and need good opticians for dozens of reasons over and above PD measurements, and thankfully my customers recognize and appreciate that. If all we are good for is taking PDs, and we would go out of business as soon as the customer can figure that out for themselves, then yes opticianry is doomed. Just be more than a PD-taker and you will still have value once PDs become a ubiquitously obtainable value.

One day people will be able to buy glasses at automated kiosks, which will refract, measure, edge, assemble and dispense all in one hour, in malls and supermarkets. There will still be successful opticians then as well, because they offer value above and beyond cheap and convenient.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    I discuss several of the methods commonly available with the onliners, and even offer a simpler and improved method to measure your own PD. I did it simply out of desire to put correct information out there. It's not secret lore to which opticians are the gatekeepers. Obtaining a PD is not a barrier to anyone who wants to get glasses online, nor is it the reason real opticians are in business. People want and need good opticians for dozens of reasons over and above PD measurements, and thankfully my customers recognize and appreciate that. If all we are good for is taking PDs, and we would go out of business as soon as the customer can figure that out for themselves, then yes opticianry is doomed. Just be more than a PD-taker and you will still have value once PDs become a ubiquitously obtainable value.

One day people will be able to buy glasses at automated kiosks, which will refract, measure, edge, assemble and dispense all in one hour, in malls and supermarkets. There will still be successful opticians then as well, because they offer value above and beyond cheap and convenient.
    Glad I'm more than a PD taker.
    Thanks for your response Dan.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just remember that his eyewear would be ANSI compliant for horizontal prism if finished from 60.83mm to 65.83mm.

just about anyone can accomplish this goal, no matter how it is measured.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Like this one

from -------------------------> http://www.daniellivingston.com/2012...-distance.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ama.../1100-6416496/

You log on to Intergalactic Eyewear . com and enter your frame selection and your address. Thirty minutes a drone shows up in your dooryard. You look into this binocular thingy for five seconds; the drone beeps, the 3D printer does its thing and out pops a complete pair of eyewear.

Yee Haw.........skeet shootin' practice at Uncut's farm on delivery day. Open season on drones!
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Yee Haw.........skeet shootin' practice at Uncut's farm on delivery day. Open season on drones!
    That is about the first thought that came to my mind. This will be fine sport not only out on the farm (no need for a blind) but in town where the sky will be black with the millions of deliveries being made. Imagine the pride in bagging a refrigerator or big 92" plasma TV.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Think silly string...

I'm working on a patent that disables but doesn't destroy the drone.

Kind of a 2fer. I'll sell it back to them on e bay!!!

Bitcoins accepted.

Thread Information