Thread: Visioffice vs Otto

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Visioffice vs Otto

Is anyone able to tell me what they think of the electronic measuring devices: Visioffice and Otto ?

We have the Visioffice. It's very accurate. We are trying out the Otto. So far, not impressed.

Anyone?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It should be no surprise that an iPad app developed by an insurance company is inferior to a dedicated hardware/software device from one of the world's leading lens designers. Regardless of what anyone thinks about Essilor, I doubt anyone would trust VSP more. Might as well take panto, vertex, and wrap manually.

Plus we look like idiots holding iPads up to take patient photos.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Try Optikam for very good measurement results and ease of use (Ipad or desk top). Very good augmented reality also for sharing lens attributes with your customers. Dan, I have seen folks look like fools using almost any of the devices for measuring, let's include PD sticks, pupilometers and all digital devices. I have also watched opticians use all of these measurement tools with terrific professionalism. It truly is up to the individual to be trained and then practice the skill of utilizing the tool to the highest level.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    It should be no surprise that an iPad app developed by an insurance company is inferior to a dedicated hardware/software device from one of the world's leading lens designers. Regardless of what anyone thinks about Essilor, I doubt anyone would trust VSP more. Might as well take panto, vertex, and wrap manually.

Plus we look like idiots holding iPads up to take patient photos.
    I agree but my doc says we look like idiots doing things the "old fashioned" way in the "digital age". Ugh..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've tried using the Otto on the same person, same frame, same desk, same optician taking the measurements two times in a row and we can't get the same results. Then we put the same person, same frame, same optician on the Visioffice; and we get very consistent measurements.

Another interesting thing is that although both devices have the ability to take a picture of the patient trying on different frames, the Otto makes the person look kind of squat and troll-like. Amusing, to be sure, but certainly not going to be a great selling tool.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didnt know Otto was ever released... said Jan 2013 and we asked about it all year and said it wasnt ready?!

I still like my marker the best, accurate to .5mm :) and waaaay more reliable.
    I use my galaxy Nexus and a Clinometer app to get panto degree. So thats a lil high tech lol.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    I agree but my doc says we look like idiots doing things the "old fashioned" way in the "digital age". Ugh..
    Your doc is right. If you're in a private practice, a more professional environment than a chain store in a mall, and they're using digital systems, you better be if you want to be perceived as at least as professional as they are. I'm really not knocking the chains, but echoing the idea of many doc owners who feel their offices are more professional environments. Some are, some aren't.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Dan + 4062: The first users of the cell phone looked like idiots, the first hands free looked like idiots as did the first people to type on a 3" typewriter (the cell phone text). Give it a "true" chance with an open mind and practice to be perfect... Then come back and let us know your thoughts... Make sure you are working on a quality system also as there are some that are much better than others...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I been using digital centration since it has been available in the U.S. and never once has a patient reacted in a negative way, they always seem impressed and are always interested in viewing the centration picture. It becomes the topic of conversation at the end of the sale instead of the cost of the lenses. I use the optikam Kiosk and the optikampad and find both to be accurate and reliable.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think digital measuring is here to stay. I question the validity of the measurement itself. With the Essilor Visioffice we get good results. The VSP Otto, which we are trying, is not giving us the same measurement on the same person, same frame, with the same optician twice.

Has anyone tried either of these devices?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't mean to sound like I disagree with digital measuring being the way things are going. We use m'eye fit. I just find my old fashioned method to be more accurate, so far.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Joyley, it looks to me like you have answered your own question. I myself have not used the Otto, or any other Ipad version of fitting, so I can't attest to their acuracy. I do however use an ITerminal for all the folks that opt to purchase digital lenses, SV, or Progressive lenses, and it has been fantastic, both from my perspective, and the feedback I recieve from the patients.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has Otto been released?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Whats the price for Otto?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe Otto is in beta testing. I do not know the cost and I do not know why we have it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    I don't mean to sound like I disagree with digital measuring being the way things are going. We use m'eye fit. I just find my old fashioned method to be more accurate, so far.
    The truth is, if you're good, it should be. There are more things to take into account than just the raw measurements. When you're opposite your patient, you can notice their rounded shoulders, their hunched posture. Even the way they look down their nose at you (sometimes!).

I'm sure you could fit a suit with pictures too, but how much better does it seem to measured by someone who seems to have the dexterity to do their job properly. There's not reason that this type of approach cannot be maintained in practice (even with the new technology).

My patients moan about the impersonality of staring into the bowels of a machine which steals their soul whilst taking pictures of them and measuring them for the spectacles. They prefer the way we do it, because it's a more personal service - I believe this trumps the multiples, who rely on their expensive gizmos to do they work they haven't had time to perfect.

(I *might* be lying about the soul-stealing bit)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe Otto is slowly being rolled out. It will have a monthly charge. I have seen the optikam ipad device and I liked it pretty well. We are going to give Otto a try here since we are pretty VSP heavy and we can try it for free for 6 months.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just to update: No more Otto. We just couldn't trust the measurements. In a comparison exercise we ran, there was a 3-4mm difference for the seg ht measurement between the Visioffice and the Otto. Our "non-electronic" measurements agreed with the Visioffice. So we packed Otto up and are sending it back.
    Last edited by Joyley; 12-06-2013 at 11:24 AM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Re-upping this thread.

Anyone have any new feedback that they'd like to share re: which measuring device they prefer or trust. Anyone using the Visioffice 2 yet?

My OD is really to jump on the digital measuring bandwagon. Now we're just trying to figure out which one. Seems like the Visioffice is the way to go.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've had both the Visioffice and Visioffice 2. I am not impressed with either of them. Remakes were higher with the Visioffice measurements. If you were working with a patient and they are able to follow your instructions to the letter, it was usually within 1mm of previous measurement of PD and within 1-2mm on seg height/optical center. It is now primarily used as a dustcatcher or comparing frames by taking photos of patient.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I’ve posted about this before that I have presented at numerous CE courses on using today’s technology for today’s advanced lenses in a competitive market. Opticians need to be using technology if we want to stay relevant. Patients/customers can not see glasses as a commodity if you plan to succeed. Be careful using the status quo approach, you could lose much of your business to the box stores and on line.
    I personally purchased and use the optikampad because I found it to be the easiest and most accurate system available. Since then, I became the national trainer for Optikam. I have personally taught many of my colleagues how to use it and why it is so necessary. I can tell first hand that it is one of the reason my office has stayed ahead of the curve and I attribute this to much of my success.
    Now that we are in a pandemic many offices are feeling compelled to purchase this because of the social distancing aspects and safety to their staff and patients.
    Last edited by Opticianjw; 11-17-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Thread Information