Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what does your ABO mean to you

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

what does your ABO mean to you

Hi there I'm just woundring what your ABO means to you .
    I have to renew my ABO but I'm not sure if I will after I was told that I won't have a job .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I have to renew my ABO but I'm not sure if I will after I was told that I won't have a job .
    It is certainly alot easier to renew than it is to retake the test. I'd renew it as you may need it in the future.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would renew it and keep it current, you never know when you may need it again.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm thinking about it. It's just all have ever done is work in are lab would keeping my ABO give me more per hr in wages.
    Not sure if I can find a new job working in a lab witch I like.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They sure won't pay you any less if you do have it!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Such a Mikey Mouse "test".
    The real question is: What is the ABO worth to the public?
    The answer: Almost absolutely NOTHING.

The subsequent question that follows is then: What is the ABO worth to your employer (current or potential)?
    The Answer: Exactly VERY LITTLE more than the public.

You may be left asking the last obvious question, which is of course: What is the ABO worth to you?
    The answer: You get to fill in that blank.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    150 multiple questions pretty simple to retake and since you have had it in the past you can say you had it and retake the test when necessary.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Such a Mikey Mouse "test".
    The real question is: What is the ABO worth to the public?
    The answer: Almost absolutely NOTHING.

The subsequent question that follows is then: What is the ABO worth to your employer (current or potential)?
    The Answer: Exactly VERY LITTLE more than the public.

You may be left asking the last obvious question, which is of course: What is the ABO worth to you?
    The answer: You get to fill in that blank.

I, for one, have grown tired of the usual response that the ABO isn't worth much. To be clear, I don't disagree with your points, Uilleann. The public cares not one whit about the letters behind my name when I am changing their nosepads. However, the ABO is what we have currently, as an industry, to show progress/interest in obtaining knowledge beyond what is learned on the floor at Lens Crafters. I value mine because I worked for it, preparing for it while obtaining my Opticianry degree, with two young kids and a full time job to boot. I value mine because I want to be the best I can be at what I chose to do for a living. And earning that certification was one way to further that.

Until we raise the bar, the ABO test will be the only thing we have; easy or not, respected or not, compensated or not.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I always suggest that people seek out licensed/certified opticians. The more the public is educated, the more they become aware of the meaning of the certification/license. They may not know the difference between them, but they understand that they want to deal with someone competent, and to them, that paper on the wall is a possible indicator of competence.

Most employers will prefer a licensed/certified optician over someone who is not. Many will even pay more for it.

I think many other people feel proud of their accomplishments, and maintain their certifications, regardless of what they say on an internet forum.

As for what it means to me, I put a lot of time into earning my certifications, and it's satisfying to know that only a handful of people have done what I have done.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    I, for one, have grown tired of the usual response that the ABO isn't worth much. To be clear, I don't disagree with your points, Uilleann. The public cares not one whit about the letters behind my name when I am changing their nosepads. However, the ABO is what we have currently, as an industry, to show progress/interest in obtaining knowledge beyond what is learned on the floor at Lens Crafters. I value mine because I worked for it, preparing for it while obtaining my Opticianry degree, with two young kids and a full time job to boot. I value mine because I want to be the best I can be at what I chose to do for a living. And earning that certification was one way to further that.

Until we raise the bar, the ABO test will be the only thing we have; easy or not, respected or not, compensated or not.
    Good for you for saying so! I agree. Where I am the ABO is the only certification to show competency and I'm proud to have one. It's on my wall along with my Texas license, which is completely optional and not required to operate. To me, it's a demonstration that I care enough about what I'm doing to prove my competency.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I think many other people feel proud of their accomplishments, and maintain their certifications, regardless of what they say on an internet forum.
    My wife paid for my renewal on the abo, she felt as though I worked hard for it. My reasoning for not wanting to renew and letting my ncle lapse is that I feel continued renewal and ce credits should mean the organization works hard for me.

I see some good things happening that give me hope like a searchable database, but I also see fees going up with little value in return. I think each individual will have to determine the value for themselves. For me I am conflicted, I have received more negative impact to my career for the more advanced certs. I think that stems from an eroding base of knowledgeable optician.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm curious, aside from providing certification of various levels of competency, what "work" should the ABO-NCE do for you?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I'm curious, aside from providing certification of various levels of competency, what "work" should the ABO-NCE do for you?
    \

I wish they would promote the benefits of patronizing a certified optician more to the public.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    My wife paid for my renewal on the abo, she felt as though I worked hard for it. My reasoning for not wanting to renew and letting my ncle lapse is that I feel continued renewal and ce credits should mean the organization works hard for me.

I see some good things happening that give me hope like a searchable database, but I also see fees going up with little value in return. I think each individual will have to determine the value for themselves. For me I am conflicted, I have received more negative impact to my career for the more advanced certs. I think that stems from an eroding base of knowledgeable optician.
    The testing fees certainly have gone up! A 50% increase is a lot, regardless of what is under discussion. As I understand it, this is to pay for the conversion to, and cost of electronic testing. If I remember correctly, the CPOT exam was in the same price ballpark. I wonder about COA.
    I do think the transition to electronic records and computer testing is the way to go, and will give the certification agencies the means to "do more" for us, so to speak. And yes, I do like that searchable database! ;)
    Also, I feel your pain regarding the higher certification being a hindrance to getting hired, but I suspect this usually occurs at places you probably wouldn't enjoy working at.

PS. Your wife is smart.
    Last edited by Wes; 11-20-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Wife

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    \

I wish they would promote the benefits of patronizing a certified optician more to the public.
    I don't think that's their mandate. That kind of information should be coming from the professional associations like OAA.

Occupation
    It's certainly in their interests to do so, and is evident by the following excerpts from their website. However, a major branding campaign would cost $millions.

"ABO-NCLE certification demonstrates to the public and the industry that an ophthalmic professional is*qualified and competent.

It proves*that this person takes pride in their profession and in maintaining up-to-date skills and knowledge. In particular, it identifies*to the public that this professional is a dispenser who will handle*your eye wear needs with competence – someone who can be trusted to provide the quality care*you want and deserve."
    http://www.abo-ncle.org/ABO/Consumer...0-d677758cf494

"Why Be Certified?
    There are several ways that certification will benefit you and your career. Most of them fall under four main topics: public recognition; employment opportunities and increased earning power; job mobility; and the potential role of certification under managed care.

Public recognition. ABO and NCLE certification demonstrates to the public, your co-workers, and the industry that you are qualified and competent. It proves you take pride in your profession and in maintaining up-to-date skills and knowledge. In particular, it identifies you to the public as a dispenser who will handle their eye wear needs with competence – someone who can be trusted to provide the quality care they want and deserve.

Employment opportunities and increased earning power. Certification is recognized by employers as a standard of competence, and it can offer tangible rewards such as increased earning power and job opportunities. According to the responding employers in a recent survey:
    28% required certification of their employees
    75% gave preference in hiring to certified applicants
    75% paid higher beginning salaries to certified personnel
    40% gave preference for promotions to ABO or NCLE certified employees
    After 10 years in dispensing, certified employees earn approximately $6,000 more per year than noncertified employees
    Job mobility. ABO and NCLE certification is a national standard, not a state license and is recognized in every state and many foreign countries. In non-licensing states, certification is especially important; it is your only credential – your professional distinction. It's also interesting to note that:
    90% of state licensing boards use the ABO and NCLE exams as the basis for state licensing
    23% of licensing states require current ABO/NCLE certification for move-ins who apply for*licensing
    Potential role of certification in future health care systems. No one ever knows for sure what the future will bring, but the experts are betting that managed care is the future of health care. Credentials, such as ABO and NCLE certification, will play a key role in determining who will be accepted by managed care as a provider of services. Without certification, you could be locked out of the health care system."
    http://www.abo-ncle.org/ABO/Certific...2-b9e0bb52cdf7

"Promoting Your Professional Status
    You've got it -- flaunt it! Making the general public and your customers or patients aware of the distinction of your certification works to your advantage. Here are a few ways to promote your distinction as a certified optician or contact lens technician:
    Always display your certificate prominently at your work place.
    Wear your ABO or NCLE certification lapel pin at work.
    Use your ABO or NCLE certified logos on your business cards, letterhead, all and displays.
    Use your designations (ABOC, ABOC-AC or NCLEC, NCLE-AC, or ABOM, if you are a Master) after your name or signature on letters, business cards and when you register for conventions and conferences."
    http://www.abo-ncle.org/ABO/Certific...2-571d7dc0bf88

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    The testing fees certainly have gone up! A 50% increase is a lot, regardless of what is under discussion. As I understand it, this is to pay for the conversion to, and cost of electronic testing. If I remember correctly, the CPOT exam was in the same price ballpark. I wonder about COA.
    I do think the transition to electronic records and computer testing is the way to go, and will give the certification agencies the means to "do more" for us, so to speak. And yes, I do like that searchable database! ;)
    Also, I feel your pain regarding the higher certification being a hindrance to getting hired, but I suspect this usually occurs at places you probably wouldn't enjoy working at.

PS. Your wife is smart.
    The cost of the service to administer over the computer is a quarter million according to their financial statements. What I am currently watching is the half a million to EFOO and what that organization does with the money and the grants they give out.

Thanks my wife wants me to go for the next cert but I am just jaded and feel like I don't need it or could benefit from it.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    \

That statement was baited I am sorry you responded, but I agree they should promote the cert better.

Their official mission statement is:

To identify qualified eyewear providers by examination, urge growth of optical skills with continuing education and approve continuing education.

So your wish is actually inline with the mission statement unless it is read literally. Keep in mind this mission statement has been honed down over the year to be as precise as possible to describe "what they do", not what they are attempting to do. If the mission is over then the organization should cease to exist or find a new mission. That is my belief and solely an opinion.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm in a licensed state (oh how I wish I didn't have to specify...maybe someday! **sigh**) But, in addition to my state's license, I keep my ABOC and my NCLEC up for a couple of reasons; 1. because I worked hard for them, 2. because I see value in what we do as Opticians and 3. because I want the public to see my designations on my shop's window and on my business cards...people regularly ask me what they mean and I am happy to explain.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Now I See View Post
    I'm in a licensed state (oh how I wish I didn't have to specify...maybe someday! **sigh**) But, in addition to my state's license, I keep my ABOC and my NCLEC up for a couple of reasons; 1. because I worked hard for them, 2. because I see value in what we do as Opticians and 3. because I want the public to see my designations on my shop's window and on my business cards...people regularly ask me what they mean and I am happy to explain.
    Sounds like you add value to an organization and profession. Its nice to know people care where you are but the boobs around me do way more for my reputation then any sort of certification. Honestly I go back and forth debating the value. The only thing I see the ABO has going for them is they certify opticians better then their competition.

Occupation
    Wes,

Thats an interesting point about managed vision and certification. If I can add you will only realize a benefit if dispensing remains financially viable and autonomous as a profession. If the certifying body or its sister organizations would make it their mission to effect change I think I would hold it in higher regard. I would also like to mention that their are cases where opticians will be overqualified for a position and most the job postings I see will also provide OTJ training to the right candidate. I see more emphasis on the right personality with people skills as being a greater value.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I look at it like this. I studied my butt off to get my ABO, NCLE and State Licenses and I don't ever see myself letting any of them lapse, even if I'm not working in the field or that state. ABO and NCLE are recognized nationally by employers in the industry and they most likely will offer you a little more money than a person who doesn't have any certifications. For example, my FL state license is worth more monetarily here in FL than my ABO and NCLE, but I still keep them all up to date because you never know what may happen in the future. You could move to a different state, ABO certification makes you more marketable, ABO could change the rules and say that in order to become re-certified, you have to attend an Opticianry school or classes, or they may change the test and add things that you know nothing about.

As far as what my ABO and NCLE mean to me, sometimes (when appropriate) I let people know that I have been nationally certified in eyeglasses and contact lenses and I'm licensed by the state to help them with any of their eyewear needs. You may not notice but a lot of patients while waiting or looking around your office will stop and look at the plaques or certificates/licenses on the wall. I use this time as a teaching tool to enlighten them on what Opticians can do for patients and that we are valuable members of the eye care team as well.

Bottom line: It only costs $85 to renew it every 3 years, as long as you complete your continuing education credits on time which is very easy to do. It's easier to do a few CE's online or in magazines than to pay to retest and then study to pass it again. I've met quite a few Opticians who let their ABO and NCLE lapse and they ALWAYS regret it. Hope this helps you make a decision that works best for you.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anybody know an ABO certified Optician that owns their own optical business in CA?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    KEEP IT! No matter what. I first got mine in the mid 90's and allowed it to expire beyond the time limits for anything but retaking the test. Now I live in Florida and need it as part of the path to licensure. I passed the test but it was more expensive and more difficult
    than before. it is part of who you are. keep it
    Optically dimented since 1980

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let me tell you why you should keep your ABO/NCLE. I am pretty sure my husband is gonna get transferred to another state in the very near future, and I'm gonna have to renew my ABO because I was foolish enough to let it laps. Thankfully the states he may be going to are licensed, so I'm going to retain close to my current pay, but I'm gonna need to get my butt in gear to make sure I'm able to sit for my next states licensing test.

Thread Information