Thread: 4t tracer to kappa edger glitch with Optivision software

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

4t tracer to kappa edger glitch with Optivision software

My Triumph tracer died so I am trying to use a 4t tracer from National Optronics. I can get the trace data into my pc's Optivision software but my Kappa edger shows error code 75 or 94. I've tried all kinds of configurations with the edger and the software but nothing seems to work. Even a null modem had no effect, nor does switching ports. Do I need a Gerber translator? What am I missing here??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    In your original configuration was the Triumph Tracer sending trace data to both the software and edger? Is there a way to verify the "trace points" setting being sent by each tracer? I believe this can be changed so maybe match what the triumph was set to. Also can an old trace from the Triumph be recalled at the Kappa?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by wibblequikit View Post
    My Triumph tracer died so I am trying to use a 4t tracer from National Optronics. I can get the trace data into my pc's Optivision software but my Kappa edger shows error code 75 or 94. I've tried all kinds of configurations with the edger and the software but nothing seems to work. Even a null modem had no effect, nor does switching ports. Do I need a Gerber translator? What am I missing here??
    Check your serial port settings and make sure they match the kappas settings. One common problem with E machines is flow control, check to see if you have it enabled on your serial port. The most common serial settings are going to be 9600, 8, N, 1 but you may have a faster baud rate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    seem to recall that the edger can be set as an OMA device as opposed to a closed loop or stand alone set up.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for the reply. The Kappa job history is erased so I can't pull up an old trace. When the system was moved/disconnected, it gave the same error codes with the Triumph tracer (it all worked well before disconnecting). Thought I'd put it all back together correctly but am stuck cutting patterns by hand and firing up the Weco 2467-Yikes!! Huey Lewis' Back In Time keeps playing in my head :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks MO,
    I think I've tried the flow control as well as baud rate options. But will double check with your suggested settings in Optivision. The Kappa is pretty limited on what can be changed from the screen menus accessed by pushing buttons 9 and 5. Kappa manual's description of the errors 75 and 94 are vague at best.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wish there were a way to set Kappa edger up to communicate directly with the 4t tracer and operate as stand alone. I don't need trace history too badly anyway. I've tried that but I think third party software is always necessary. Am I wrong about that?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wibblequikit View Post
    Thanks MO,
    I think I've tried the flow control as well as baud rate options. But will double check with your suggested settings in Optivision. The Kappa is pretty limited on what can be changed from the screen menus accessed by pushing buttons 9 and 5. Kappa manual's description of the errors 75 and 94 are vague at best.
    75 = Communication Error
    94 = Network Constitution Error

In either case they are not talking properly. If your old setup was the tracer direct to the edger then their is a configuration screen that has the communication protocols.

1 - Essilor Kappa Network
    2 - Direct Connection <----------- This is the protocol you would have going direct.
    3 - PcCOMMV1 <------------ This is the protocol you want.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    75 = Communication Error
    94 = Network Constitution Error

In either case they are not talking properly. If your old setup was the tracer direct to the edger then their is a configuration screen that has the communication protocols.

1 - Essilor Kappa Network
    2 - Direct Connection <----------- This is the protocol you would have going direct.
    3 - PcCOMMV1 <------------ This is the protocol you want.
    Taking notes..great information. I'm assuming that the next step is to configure a comm port with in Optivision to communicate with edger.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You ever consider calling OptiVision direct? Dave is a pretty smart lad
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS View Post
    You ever consider calling OptiVision direct? Dave is a pretty smart lad
    Great advice, I believe they do have a machine translator software that allows you to spoof the OMA file so the edger would think it is a Triumph tracer. Contact Bruce my Russian brother from another mother.

http://www.machtranslator.com/
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Great advice, I believe they do have a machine translator software that allows you to spoof the OMA file so the edger would think it is a Triumph tracer. Contact Bruce my Russian brother from another mother.

http://www.machtranslator.com/
    I have seen a Gerber translator set up between a 4ti and a Kappa edger so I bought one on ebay for a great price but it may not function. Guess I'll find out when it shows up this week. I'll look into the machtranslator a little more as well- Thanks for the link!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I picked up the Kappa edger, Triumph tracer and pc with Optivision software as a package from a lab that closed so I don't know if Optivision would want to help me figure out how to make the system communicate properly and work with the 4t tracer as I didn't purchase it new. If I can't somehow figure out how to get it together, I'll call Optivision and see where that goes...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Update to running the national optronics 4t tracer with an Essilor Kappa N95 edger:
    I spoke with Bruce at Optivision but we couldn't figure out how to get the edger to communicate with Optivision though the 4t does even when I switched cables with the Kappa edger. I swapped in the Coburn TRE translator from ebay with a friend's working translator and it didn't function so I don't know if that is a possible communication solution (it was only $20). His set up is very similar: 4ti tracer to Triumph edger with Innovations software on a pc. I'll see if I can talk my friend into letting me use his working translator in my set up.
    My account with Coburn should be approved this week so I can talk with tech support. I WILL figure this out and post as I go...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You could also try calling Essilor Instruments USA at 1-855-393-4647 for support. The Triumph edger/tracer where manufactured by Essilor for GerberCoburn back in the 90's. Currently National Optronics and Essilor Instruments tech departments work together at NOP headquarters so you should be able to get help with both the 4t and the Kappa.

I believe if all communication is set for OMA protocol it should communicate. To check the setting on the Kappa you can either read the communication barcode or turn the machine on, do not initialize, press the 4th and 5th button down at the same time and make sure that the Oma protocol is selected, press button #10 to set and repeat pressing button #10 to return to main screen.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy Uggghhh

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
    You could also try calling Essilor Instruments USA at 1-855-393-4647 for support. The Triumph edger/tracer where manufactured by Essilor for GerberCoburn back in the 90's. Currently National Optronics and Essilor Instruments tech departments work together at NOP headquarters so you should be able to get help with both the 4t and the Kappa.

I believe if all communication is set for OMA protocol it should communicate. To check the setting on the Kappa you can either read the communication barcode or turn the machine on, do not initialize, press the 4th and 5th button down at the same time and make sure that the Oma protocol is selected, press button #10 to set and repeat pressing button #10 to return to main screen.
    Thanks for the reply. I spoke with a service tech at Coburn and he says my RS232 port driver is blown on the Kappa's motherboard. As the N95 model is obsolete there are no parts like that in stock.

Options:

1- Find a used Kappa motherboard and hope it functions

2- Find someone to repair rs232 port driver on the board itself

3- Find a Kappa or Gamma tracer and connect it directly to local port of Kappa edger

4- Ditch the edger for parts

I really like the 4t tracer and its ability to trace high base curves with the near vertical positioning of frame in the carriage but I'd trade it for a Kappa tracer in a heartbeat if anyone knows of one around. Or where I could exercise options 1 or 2 ??? I hope this thread helps some poor soul in the future and saves them some time. Thanks to all who've replied and scratched their collective heads

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not that I question Coburn's tech about a blown port driver but if you know of someone near you with a N95 kappa you should test your board on there machine. If you want to send to me I can test it for you. I also have a kappa tracer available as a last resort.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @ Thumbs, Thank you for the very generous offer of testing my board. I'll check with some local lab buddies I've known over the decades for a Kappa board here in the Reno, NV area as well. In browsing Kappa related posts I found a reference to A-18 LECT OPTIC X 88 which, now that i think of it, shows up on the initialization screen every time I power the edger up. It points to barcode scanner and mine looks like it's been dropkicked by Sebastian Janikowski but it seems to work as I can scan the barcodes from the manual- hmmmm. I'm going to try swapping in a known functioning barcode scanner and see what happens. A blown rs232 port chip is certainly possible but way harder to replace.

Btw, I'm entering in the tray number that corresponds to its barcode manually into the Optronics 4t tracer. Optivision software displays the trace on the computer monitor, I then scan the tray. Could this be a problem because the Kappa is searching for something that is not correctly represented when I scan the tray's barcode (barcode scanner is connected to Kappa edger only)? In the original set up, the Triumph tracer had a keypad to enter the tray number.

Thread Information