Thread: Computer Glasses

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Computer Glasses

What are your preferences for a primo pair of computer glasses. Which lens would you use? What lens treatment would you include for protection from the video display. I'm trying to get a consensus among my peers for the Best. Thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FT-35
    FT-28
    SV

Primo AR coating optional

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depends on the patient and the computer, but I do a lot of Access lenses with AR, mostly because they can see a little beyond the monitor.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had pretty good success with the Auto 2 Office. I have not used there newer lenses yet.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chem Clip!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd say give them a cup of WaWa Coffee, and send them on their way... I've only used the Sola Continuum, and the Essilor Computer. The Sola Continuum is ordered with the NVO Rx, and as I understand, set with a standard 1.00 decrease in add power as focus moves up the lens. So sometimes it worked great, sometimes not so much. The Essilor Computer is ordered with PAL Rx, and they do some adjusting to maximize vision. So it is much more of a specialty computer progressive, as opposed to the Continuum being more of an adjusted single vision lens. So overall the Essilor lens pleases more people, but the Continuum was simpler design with 2 large zones.

As far as coatings, I'm intrigued by the new Crizal Prevencia, but I haven't seen it in person or heard any patient reviews so I can't form any opinion on it yet. But overall, Crizal Avance has been a work horse for me and benefits almost all patients.

Did you say WaWa Coffee?
    Patient, ".. Doctor says I have a subscription for stigmata.. Can you fill that?"
    Me, "..Um.. "

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I found success with the Shamir Office lens, FT-35 and of course SV.

As for a coating, I myself have a pair of Prevencia coated lenses and found that spending 3 hours plus on my office PC that my eyes felt less fatigued.

A down fall in my opinion is a purple shine / hue on the lenses (very visible). Essilor tries to spin this by telling me " that's how you know the coating is working".

Some patients may not like the look of a purple hue all the time, especially men.

I personally have had the best results with my trivex, transitions extra-active (with a residual tint), avance for lenses , then turning down the intensity of my screen and blink more freguently.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shamir auto 2 office with a good a/r.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had good success with the Access and the Auto II Office a majority of the time (with probably 5-10 Offices for every Access), and then depending on usage and needs, I have also used SV, FT35, FT45, and for one engineer I ended up using an Executive BF, and never without an A/R (though with the 45 and Exec I was a little limited in my selection)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depending on the accommodation and the working distance from the monitor(s) the Auto I office has been a great go to lens, I have found it to be more flexibility if you are trying to get a specific working distance but the Auto II office works well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Auto II Office has been working well for me but I am very interested in Luzerne's new computer lenses. I'm hoping Judy will chime in with a great explaination of how to best utilize these.

I think the Crizal Prevencia is about as innovative as Crizal Sapphire...snore..... I have a voucher to try the Hoya version but I remain skeptical. Thats an awful lot of work for a little ole coating.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has anyone tried the new computer or workspace lens from Shamir?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Supposedly Hoya is going to be getting bluetech in trivex in the near future. I think in combination with auto 2 office this will be a great combo.

Chemistrie Eyewear
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Chem Clip!
    To build on optical24/7, we (Chemistrie Eyewear) have clips from +.50 through +2.50 made from hivex. The lower powers make a great computer clip.

We are currently working on developing a blue filtering lens clip in both plano and add powers. Hopefully, we will be making an announcement soon regarding these new products.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    The Auto II Office has been working well for me but I am very interested in Luzerne's new computer lenses. I'm hoping Judy will chime in with a great explaination of how to best utilize these.

I think the Crizal Prevencia is about as innovative as Crizal Sapphire...snore..... I have a voucher to try the Hoya version but I remain skeptical. Thats an awful lot of work for a little ole coating.
    I think that calling these lens designs, especially those designs with multiple viewing distances, PC lenses is misleading. They really are designed to be used for so much more than office work. My hobbies include sewing and playing oboe. Both require different distances to be comfortable. If I'm in my favorite setting musically, I need a little near, so that I can adjust my reed if necessary (it involves a knife), large intermediate to see the score on my stand and about 12-15 feet of distance to see the conductor. If I'm sewing, I need good near to thread my machines, large intermediate to see the machine, the laptop it connects to and the pattern directions on the bulletin board behind the machine, and about 15 feet of distance for the movies I have on for company (3 Star Wars movies = prom dress for daughter #2). What I'm really saying is that to use these task-specific designs, you really need to talk with your patients about what environment they will be in when wearing them. And don't forget the protective properties either. I had a sewing machine needle break (yup, cardinal sin of sewing over pins) and fly into my glasses! Freak accident? Yup. But could have had devastating consequences. The FreeFocus PC has three viewing distances, 4 feet, 6.5 feet and 13 feet. It's a degressive design and the near point is 14 mm below the pupil. 65% of the degression is reached at the pupil and the min. fitting ht. is 18mm. So, the near power is 14 mm below the pupil and the lens power decreases (degresses?) to 65% at the pupil (which is where the seg. ht. should be measured). How much the power continues to degress from that point is determined by how much viewing distance the patient wants or needs.
    While many patients will tell you that they do just fine with their everyday PAL, you have the tools to give them much more comfortable vision at these potentially uncomfortable distances and become the hero. The key is initiating the discussion in both the exam lane and at the fitting table.
    Does that help?

Oh yeah, and I'm not convinced that blue (HEV) light is the bogey monster yet. So as always, a good AR is a must, but you don't need to go crazy.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I think that calling these lens designs, especially those designs with multiple viewing distances, PC lenses is misleading. They really are designed to be used for so much more than office work.
    +1. I can't agree more! We sell these lenses to musicians and also crafters! The key thing is to have that discussion with your patient!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not sure how long these "office" lenses have been around, maybe 10 years now? It's really sad that they've been offered at the LC for probably 8 or 9 but the typical sales person (read, waitress last week, eyeglass guru this week) just doesn't know anything about them. Since I came back I've been telling more and more people about them and they seem to finally be catching on and getting some momentum with our patients. What's really helping is we've finally got a really great graphic on our A$$ tabs (Associate tablets :) that gives a really great depiction of what a patient can expect. Of course it's done more to educate the staff than the patient, but you gotta start somewhere.
    BTW, I always liked the Hoya tact, because you can specify a 40% or 60% version, and I always found the 60% worked nicely for patients who need to be able to see farther away, but still allowed for great computer vision.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have used the Zeiss Gradal RD for 12 years now. It has worked very well for our patients. Our lab rep just announced that Zeiss has a newer version out. We're waiting for the rep to show us the product in two weeks. I'm hoping to get a pair to try it out first hand. I'll let you know what I think of it.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hoya Tact (always use 40 unless there is a STRONG reason to use the 60) or Shamir Autograph Office. I think the Hoya "blue blocking" AR coating is a less obnoxious color reflecting back (the Crizal one is purple) but The Hoya coating seems to cast more of a yellow tinge from the wearer's perspective (not as bad as Gunnar), not a huge problem unless the wearer is in the graphics field.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Chem Clip!
    I've been fitting the power layers on occasion, usually as a compromise (about +.75) so that the near/desktop doesn't get too messed up. I know I can cut the add, but then the general purpose eyeglass (the 'Mother Lens') is pretty much useless for near. I'm hoping that the next round of electro-active lenses will have an option of where to place the power (higher) for task lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Not sure how long these "office" lenses have been around, maybe 10 years now?
    I remember fitting the AO Technica when I was working for Bensons, probably the early 1990's. One client hugged me he was so happy! Similar, but not as physical responses from many others over the years.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    resurrecting this old dead thread for some follow up.

Anyone try the Kodak computer design? (I think it's called Softwear). And to comment on an earlier post in this thread, I've tried Prevencia and couldn't stand it. Made my eyes tired.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our "go to" computer lens has been the Gradal RD for the past 14 years. I've been actively searching for a newer lens design, but haven't had any reps even pushing the product. I'd love to hear if anyone has compared Gradal RD to newer designs, and what your opinions are. We have no complaints with the RD, and adaptation has been very good, so it would need to be quite a nice lens to replace it.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Thread Information