Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon vs Essilor Lenses

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    What about Pentax? Used to be what we used at LC back in the day. Maybe still do? For me personally if there's one sure fire way to kill a credible name brand is to associate it with Walmart.
    Now owned by Seiko.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OIC View Post
    Now owned by Seiko.

Which may be owned by Hoya.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensguy View Post
    Costco in Canada has moved to their own lab production and dropped Essilor as a supplier.

They may have dropped Essilor as a LAB, but I can assure you that they have not dropped them as a (primary) lens supplier.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Which may be owned by Hoya.
    Yup. Sorry, forgot to update my scorecard. Tough to keep up with the acquisitions.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by OIC View Post
    Yup. Sorry, forgot to update my scorecard. Tough to keep up with the acquisitions.
    I believe Hoya only purchased the design patents thus far and not the entire Seiko company.

As for selling, I promote and sell products based on quality and technology. I never mention a brand by name and can easily land a decent average sale because of it.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Hoya Founder’s Grandson Calls Pentax Acquisition One Of Company “Failures” ..........

http://petapixel.com/2010/05/31/hoya...pany-failures/

According to Hoya founder Shigeru Yamanaka’s grandson, Yutaka Yamanaka, Hoya’s acquisition of Pentax may not have been the best business move. The younger Yamanaka said the $1 billion acquisition in 2007 was made mostly to expand Hoya’s involvement in medical optics, but turned out to be “overpriced.” Yamanaka, a Hoya shareholder, went so far as to say it was one of Hoya’s business “failures” which led to financial turbulence over the last three years until Pentax turned profitable

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    join a buying group and get an instant 25% discount on the Nikon stuff....for us nikon has been superb, great products and VERY durable. The consumer lovers the brand too

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    join a buying group and get an instant 25% discount on the Nikon stuff....for us nikon has been superb, great products and VERY durable. The consumer lovers the brand too
    Only 25%? Heck, I'm getting 40% on other major brands. And Nikon has the highest inflated list prince on the market.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    there will be more competition in lab/lens suppliers soon, I believe.
    I tried a couple of pairs of HD progressives from a Chinese factory a couple of years ago. They performed very well though the AR was a bit too yellow for my taste. My test subjects (staff in the store) like the lenses a lot. Only problem was logistics/shipping costs. For a small operator like me it was a bit daunting. Well this factory is relentless and they are coming to Canada next week to meet me and to drum up clients here. I am sure they are not here to waste time and have a shipping solution that makes sense.
    I will report back on how it goes...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    there will be more competition in lab/lens suppliers soon, I believe.
    I tried a couple of pairs of HD progressives from a Chinese factory a couple of years ago. They performed very well though the AR was a bit too yellow for my taste. My test subjects (staff in the store) like the lenses a lot. Only problem was logistics/shipping costs. For a small operator like me it was a bit daunting. Well this factory is relentless and they are coming to Canada next week to meet me and to drum up clients here. I am sure they are not here to waste time and have a shipping solution that makes sense.
    I will report back on how it goes...
    I have a supply/distribution network already in place and still get emails almost daily from the Asian companies. You may be correct - however the only downfall is the shipping costs, logistics and lack of local support. If they can put that piece in place - look out major companies.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    I have a supply/distribution network already in place and still get emails almost daily from the Asian companies. You may be correct - however the only downfall is the shipping costs, logistics and lack of local support. If they can put that piece in place - look out major companies.
    Dont you think if they built this they would be: A) "a mojor company" and b) not that far off of what you are paying today?

you are getting 40%. I know some are as high as 67%........

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good point. But I am not sure there is an asian lab, all surfacing coating etc.. in china, shipped direct to opticals in Canada. There needs to be a way either UPS or some other courier could do a consolidated ship to canada for the lab and get these to your door for pretty cheap. I was dealing direct so the shipping was too high, but with a few clients, and consolidated ship, it should not be difficult.
    Pay the lab by paypal or some other online mechanism. The savings should be very significant.
    I don't know if anyone is doing this right now on a wide scale. The ones who are don't seem to be passing on the savings to us little ECPs if they are, and a Chinese Lab could do so. We'll see.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know of a few that are doing exactly that.
    They consolidate shipping to Canada from all over Asia and distribute from here. They save on labor, and I assume, declare little to no profit in Canada saving even more in taxes. They pass the savings on to you.

Every major lens supplier in Canada and the US is doing this.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Thanks for taking jobs away from Canadians. You don't make money buying lenses, you make money selling them. Do a better job of selling the best that you can buy, and you'll be much more successful than giving your money to the Chinese for cheap eyeglasses that can be made by your local, independent (non-Essilor, -Zeiss, -Hoya) laboratory. They are still out there. I say independent labs because when you do biz with the others, especially Essilor, there's a very good chance they are being made in Mexico or China and not across the street by Canadians.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Respectfully, I disagree.
    Besides, there is no way we could avoid using Nikon, Essilor, Hoya, Zeiss or the few good independents we use entirely. We're talking a % of purchases which could be directed to China.
    It is important to adapt to the changes or you die on the vine. It's about having access to the widest range of products AND prices possible. Essilor sells branded and very good lenses to Costco which Costco sells to the public BELOW your COST.
    I am concerned about the jobs of Canadians, but I'm even more concerned about MY job.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Respectful disagreement is what's great about the forum, and I am always anxious to hear others' motivations about how they conduct their business. And you are right, it is important to adapt to changes, which is why I endorse the independent laboratory of your choice. You can stop feeding the beast that is Essilor (lenses, Transitions, equipment, FramesDirect.com, lab supplies, labs, sunglasses, etc. etc....) and develop, market, and enhance your own brands. How many of your patients/customers come in the door and ask for lenses by brand. Perhaps Transitions and Nikon, but not so much beyond that I'll bet.

I'm curious to know why you want to do business with China and what products/services they offer you that make it so attractive over buying local, and what they are offering that it means saving your job.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    For clarity, i dont currently do lens business in china. I tried it and found it to be too much trouble due to logistics. But this same china supplier is coming to visit and im guessing they have a plan to make logistics and shipping more simple. Their product was good at the time. So well see what they are offering. I think it would be useful for us to have access to good lenses at a lower price point in addition to (not instead of) the suppliers we use now. The more access we have to global supply and pricing the better.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I found myself almost obsessed with my cost of goods for a while. I think it was the idea that my big competitors (BBox, online, chains) were getting way better pricing, maybe they are? however after a period of time I concluded I have got good prices (I average about 30% off list) and was putting too much effort into still trying to save a few bucks.
    I re channeled this effort into growing topline sales selling higher quality products (at higher cost of goods) and the bottom line looks way better now! Service levels are higher than they have ever been and training is happening on a regular basis.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Respectfully, I disagree.
    Besides, there is no way we could avoid using Nikon, Essilor, Hoya, Zeiss or the few good independents we use entirely. We're talking a % of purchases which could be directed to China.
    It is important to adapt to the changes or you die on the vine. It's about having access to the widest range of products AND prices possible. Essilor sells branded and very good lenses to Costco which Costco sells to the public BELOW your COST.
    I am concerned about the jobs of Canadians, but I'm even more concerned about MY job.
    I am not one to defend Essilor, however you should shop your Costco. No more Essilor (branded) product. They have moved to their own production and offer only "house branded" lenses and one A/R...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensguy View Post
    I am not one to defend Essilor, however you should shop your Costco. No more Essilor (branded) product. They have moved to their own production and offer only "house branded" lenses and one A/R...
    Without seeing the packaging how would you know it's not an Essilor lens? Unless you work there and know they aren't using Essilor lenses, you can't "shop" there and know what you're getting. Costco, as do others, can private label Essilor lenses. Don't assume since they aren't promoting Crizal or other brands that that isn't what they are using.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    My understanding - from someone that worked there about 1.5 years ago - is that Costco uses Essilor lenses and coatings made up in their own centralized lab, and that they often tell customers they are "Crizal lenses", whatever that is suppose to mean. (On that note, I've had people come in and ask if we carried "real Crizal lenses", or if we just used the fake ones that only had a Criz coating on them... hard to answer that question succinctly;). If that's the understanding people are gaining from Essilor's Weather Channel ad blitz, then they need to adjust their marketing a wee bit).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    someone here said it already, given all the advertising essilor and others pump out, a surprisingly small number of clients ask for a lens by name. occasionally, but really it is a small number.
    Clients are coming because you have a good reputation and hopefully to fit them and sell them the right product at the right price. We, the ECPs are the "brand", more than we think. Most of the time.

Occupation
    someone here said it already, given all the advertising essilor and others pump out, a surprisingly small number of clients ask for a lens by name. occasionally, but really it is a small number.
    Clients are coming because you have a good reputation and hopefully to fit them and sell them the right product at the right price. We, the ECPs are the "brand", more than we think. Most of the time.
    +1. Never sell yourself short. Those big box and chain retailers can only land one type of consumer - the price driven one. For the majority of consumers, they will pay a little more for expert, personalized service.

Let the giants fight it out for it shall take them 3-5 times the consumers profit to match your 1. Now who's laughing?
    Last edited by HindSight2020; 11-26-2013 at 07:24 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper small parcels from China and other places in the far East is as inexpensive .........

For clarity, i dont currently do lens business in china. I tried it and found it to be too much trouble due to logistics.

I have learned years ago that getting small parcels from China and other places in the far East is as inexpensive or even cheaper as sending UPS and Fedex in the USA and Canada. It does not work both ways but only FAR East to the American Continent.

Check it out at: --------------> http://www.ems.com.cn/english.html

Thread Information