Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74

Thread: Another promotion for onliners. UGH

  1. #1
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    US
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    17

    Redhot Jumper Another promotion for onliners. UGH


  2. #2
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    7,468
    The real issue here is that not a single one of our trade associations has taken issue with these reports. Why are they not representing our professions to the general public when programs like this are being aired with increasing frequency? What are they afraid of and who are they protecting?

  3. #3
    Eyes eastward... Uilleann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    3,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    The real issue here is that not a single one of our trade associations has taken issue with these reports. Why are they not representing our professions to the general public when programs like this are being aired with increasing frequency? What are they afraid of and who are they protecting?
    This question was answered decades ago. What's more shocking is that anyone of us would still ask it in any seriousness today.

  4. #4
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,178
    I want to know how they think comparing Dior to Zenni is appropriate. BMW drivers don't shop for Yugos.

    But what really gets me is that the important part of eyewear is the lenses, and this wasn't even discussed. Who cares how you see, as long as it only cost $7.

    And the fact that the optometry office was made to look bad because they didn't replace a pair that was stepped on. Whose fault is carelessness? But I guess if you view eyewear as disposable it doesn't matter.

    Idiocy.

  5. #5
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    USSA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    12,592
    Trade associations are comprised of members. Members should be out there spreading the word. Are you a member? Are you spreading the word?

  6. #6
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    7,468
    I just went to the ABC News website, clicked on World News with Diane Sawyer and sent a complaint. We can take a public stand or we can come here and complain. It's a choice. If our associations are not going to use this opportunity, then we must do it as individuals. Tired of waiting for someone else to do the work. If you have the time to come here and complain, you have the time to go to their website as well.

  7. #7
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    This question was answered decades ago. What's more shocking is that anyone of us would still ask it in any seriousness today.
    Yeah, hope springs eternal and all that....

  8. #8
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    USSA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    12,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I just went to the ABC News website, clicked on World News with Diane Sawyer and sent a complaint. We can take a public stand or we can come here and complain. It's a choice. If our associations are not going to use this opportunity, then we must do it as individuals. Tired of waiting for someone else to do the work. If you have the time to come here and complain, you have the time to go to their website as well.
    That's what I'm talking about!

  9. #9
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,949
    I think we should use these media opportunities to welcome fittings, service, etc., for eyewear purchased anywhere....for a fee. The sooner we unbundle our services, the faster we will grow and help establish the proper relationship between unbundled eyewear a la carte, and packed/bundled eyewear with inclusive service fees.

    who wants a car without a warranty...unless they can do it themselves?

    Same for eyewear.

    B

  10. #10
    Chemistrie Eyewear
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    152
    I just posted a comment on the ABC News blog where this story is contained. So far, there are 3 comments.

  11. #11
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    7,468

  12. #12
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    USSA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    12,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

    who wants a car without a warranty...unless they can do it themselves?


    B
    Who wants a car that is manufactured off shore, is not guaranteed to run, as is perhaps too small to even drive?

    Now, take it a step further and ask, "What new mechanic would want to work on that car? Actually, while typing this, I just answered my own question...a car dealership WOULD invite that person in for service, so they could sell them a real car.

    Ok...it took 50 years, but I'm starting to get it. (I don't like it...but I get it.)

  13. #13
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    8,809
    It's the mindless media. Today the news is "cheap glasses are great". Tomorrow the news will be "cheap glasses are a rip off".

    Dog bite man/man bites dog sorta thing. They're there for the sensationalism.

  14. #14
    Chemistrie Eyewear
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    It's the mindless media. Today the news is "cheap glasses are great". Tomorrow the news will be "cheap glasses are a rip off".

    Dog bite man/man bites dog sorta thing. They're there for the sensationalism.
    There is a complete and total lacking of thoroughness associated with today's press (maybe laziness is more accurate). It used to be editors pushed back until a story was complete. 30 years ago, an editor would have said, go interview an optician and get their side of the story. It today's world, media outlets like ABC have cut back on staff but with today's short news cycles, they need to gin out more stories. And shorter stories too. This is the result.

  15. #15
    Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brisbane,QLD, Australia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I think we should use these media opportunities to welcome fittings, service, etc., for eyewear purchased anywhere....for a fee. The sooner we unbundle our services, the faster we will grow and help establish the proper relationship between unbundled eyewear a la carte, and packed/bundled eyewear with inclusive service fees.

    B
    Amen.

    And, Johns, I agree: get the patient in, perform the service and let them realize how much value lies in what we do. Just be sure to remind the patient that we are not responsible for breakage
    Andrew

    "One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

  16. #16
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,178
    Here's the complaint I sent to them:

    I wish the segment on online eyeglasses had addressed the other side of that story: that when tested in 2011, 44% of them failed to meet safety standards for correct prescription or impact resistance.


    For reference, the article published by the American Optometric Association: http://newsfromaoa.org/2011/11/09/ha...pecifications/

    Who else sent something?

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Posts
    3,090
    But why not also protest Essilor taking over all the labs and manufacturers?

  18. #18
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    But why not also protest Essilor taking over all the labs and manufacturers?
    1. Because the public doesn't care about it.

    2. Because ECP's keep using their products and funding their acquisitions.

  19. #19
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,240

    Blue Jumper Maybe OptiBoarders should start a collection box to be used as encuragement .........

    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

    This question was answered decades ago. What's more shocking is that anyone of us would still ask it in any seriousness today.


    ...................good statement

    When will we all admit that politicians of all levels can be bought to vote for one side or another. Maybe OptiBoarders should start a collection box to be used as encuragement for lawmakers, or donate them a pair of nice expensive glasses in exchange for political favours.

    Would anyone know how our big corporations are handling it ?

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Posts
    3,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    1. Because the public doesn't care about it.

    2. Because ECP's keep using their products and funding their acquisitions.
    For #1, that exact same reason can be used as the reason why consumers won't shop at a brick and mortar optical store.

    For #2, well, if you are going to go after on-liners in the fashion noted above, the exact same thing can easily be done about Essilor. Write to your congresscritter, write to the Attorney General and the FTC. Ask for an anti-trust investigation. And remember, Essilor owns one of the biggest onliners out there.

  21. #21
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    For #1, that exact same reason can be used as the reason why consumers won't shop at a brick and mortar optical store.

    For #2, well, if you are going to go after on-liners in the fashion noted above, the exact same thing can easily be done about Essilor. Write to your congresscritter, write to the Attorney General and the FTC. Ask for an anti-trust investigation. And remember, Essilor owns one of the biggest onliners out there.
    Not every thread necessitates an anti-Essilor rant. Not that they don't have their fingers in every pie, but this feature was about online eyewear.

  22. #22
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,240

    Blue Jumper not only one..............................they own 2 of the largest .................

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post

    And remember, Essilor owns one of the biggest onliners out there.



    not only one..............................they own 2 of the largest

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Posts
    3,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    not only one..............................they own 2 of the largest
    Exactly, Chris.

    I'm not ranting about Essilor, per-se, Judy. Just pointing out the obvious. Because, in the end, it *IS* about Essilor too.

  24. #24
    OptiBoardaholic kentmitchell1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    272
    Just complained on the abc web site. twits....

  25. #25
    Master OptiBoarder MakeOptics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    none
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    1,327
    I just sent a message through the link.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What's stirring with Clearly CL's and other onliners
    By gibby2020 in forum Canadian Discussion Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM
  2. How do we look at the constant "Free Eyeglasses Giveaway" by some big onliners?
    By Patrick888 in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 11:00 AM
  3. fee for onliners
    By cinders831 in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 05-27-2005, 10:57 AM
  4. We got Promotion.....
    By John R in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-10-2002, 06:37 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •