Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color Perception Altered through Progressive Lenses?..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reading further on in that thread
    If you also need correction for distance vision then you move into
    "bifocal" country. I reached that point about ten years ago. I
    tried bifocals. I carefully positioned the line so it would fall
    at the top of the panel. It didn't work! The panel was too close
    to see well through the upper distance vision part of the glasses
    and it was too far away to see well through the lower "reading"
    part of the glasses. I could land, and read charts, but I couldn't
    see the instruments clearly.
    Says to me trifocals and only trifocals for presbyopic pilots

But reading that whole thread makes me think about turning around the next time I see a pilot with grey hair and wearing glasses if I don't see a line

When you look through the lower corner of the lenses
    it distorts everything. The runway looked higher than it was and
    at an angle to its alignment. I was consistently landing about
    two feet above the runway and settling on rather firmly! :-) I

i wear progressives (american optical omni-vision plus). it is true that the
    peripheral part is 'unfocused'. it is also true that peripheral cues aid in
    landing. but i don't think the peripheral cues need to be 'solidly in focus'
    to help. at least, i like to delude myself that i can still grease 'em in
    occassionally.

Landings have never been my strong point. Perhaps that's a contributing
    factor. How does one tell? Other than by getting a nonprogressive
    prescription, spending enough time with them to become natural with them,
    and see if landings improve?

The first time I brought the nose up to land (at night) while weating
    progressives I saw two diverging runways. I yanked the glasses off and
    threw them in the back seat. Then, I made a safe landing.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Prescribing Spectacles for Aviators

John F. Kent, O. D., F.A.A.O.

There is a popular saying from World War II that states: "A pilot's eyes are his finest weapon!" Even today, in this age of radar, imaging infrared systems, head-up displays, and air traffic control, a pilot's eyes are still "his finest weapon". With the graying of the baby boom generation, more pilots today are flying with spectacles or contact lenses. A significant percentage of these pilots are over forty years of age and require bifocal spectacles to function effectively. Today's optometrists play a crucial role in ensuring that these pilots are provided with the proper visual correction they need to function efficiently.

A majority of the pilots who require spectacles for flying will wear single vision spectacles. A thorough eye examination is the first step in properly prescribing aircrew single vision spectacles. A detailed case history should be taken which includes the type of aircraft the aviator flies and the crew position. An accurate refraction is essential for top visual efficiency and the optometrist should be careful not to over-plus or over-minus the patient. If a pre-presbyopic patient is overcorrected in the minus direction, they may have trouble reading approach plates, especially at night. Over-correction in the plus direction will blur the pilot at far distance with resulting dissatisfaction. Evaluating the final prescription in a trial frame at far distance and at the cockpit working distance is a way to avoid these errors. A spare pair of clear spectacles is recommended as a backup. Antireflective lenses may be prescribed when reflections due to spectacle lenses create a problem for the pilot. The prescribing doctor should stress to the pilot that a spare pair of clear spectacles should be carried in their flight bag or, even better, their pocket, at all times when flying to serve as a backup in case something happens to the pair they are wearing. This is especially true of pilots who perform aerobatics or who are anticipating flying in turbulence where there is a good possibility the spectacles maybe dislodged.

One of the most overlooked factors in prescribing single vision aircrew spectacles is frame adjustment. The aviator should bring their flight gear such as helmet, oxygen mask, and/or headphones to the dispenser for the dispensing visit so that the primary and backup spectacles may be adjusted to properly fit when the flight gear is in place. The cockpit at 10,000 feet on a dark night is no place to be adjusting a backup pair of spectacles! ............................................................ ...........

Plus a lot more at -----------------> http://www.aoa.org/optometrists/tool...s-for-aviators

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for that insight, much appreciated.

So to further the discusion and confirm for those out there.

Rx over plussed causing blurring at the distance point and a muddling of colours favoring the red over the white.

Reduction in Rx and a better lens design has solved the issue.

Rx was reduced slightly .25 on eye and .50 the other eye lenses chosen have been a zeiss individual with an a/r coat the dynamics of the wider distance portion in this lens has greatly improved this clients flying vision and is now over the moon with the new specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Prescribing Spectacles for Aviators

John F. Kent, O. D., F.A.A.O.

There is a popular saying from World War II that states: "A pilot's eyes are his finest weapon!" Even today, in this age of radar, imaging infrared systems, head-up displays, and air traffic control, a pilot's eyes are still "his finest weapon". With the graying of the baby boom generation, more pilots today are flying with spectacles or contact lenses. A significant percentage of these pilots are over forty years of age and require bifocal spectacles to function effectively. Today's optometrists play a crucial role in ensuring that these pilots are provided with the proper visual correction they need to function efficiently.

A majority of the pilots who require spectacles for flying will wear single vision spectacles. A thorough eye examination is the first step in properly prescribing aircrew single vision spectacles. A detailed case history should be taken which includes the type of aircraft the aviator flies and the crew position. An accurate refraction is essential for top visual efficiency and the optometrist should be careful not to over-plus or over-minus the patient. If a pre-presbyopic patient is overcorrected in the minus direction, they may have trouble reading approach plates, especially at night. Over-correction in the plus direction will blur the pilot at far distance with resulting dissatisfaction. Evaluating the final prescription in a trial frame at far distance and at the cockpit working distance is a way to avoid these errors. A spare pair of clear spectacles is recommended as a backup. Antireflective lenses may be prescribed when reflections due to spectacle lenses create a problem for the pilot. The prescribing doctor should stress to the pilot that a spare pair of clear spectacles should be carried in their flight bag or, even better, their pocket, at all times when flying to serve as a backup in case something happens to the pair they are wearing. This is especially true of pilots who perform aerobatics or who are anticipating flying in turbulence where there is a good possibility the spectacles maybe dislodged.

One of the most overlooked factors in prescribing single vision aircrew spectacles is frame adjustment. The aviator should bring their flight gear such as helmet, oxygen mask, and/or headphones to the dispenser for the dispensing visit so that the primary and backup spectacles may be adjusted to properly fit when the flight gear is in place. The cockpit at 10,000 feet on a dark night is no place to be adjusting a backup pair of spectacles! ............................................................ ...........

Plus a lot more at -----------------> http://www.aoa.org/optometrists/tool...s-for-aviators

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bok,

Thanks for the follow-up. It's very helpful when these types of threads come to a conclusion.

You were really in the hot seat with that overplused Rx!

The Z Individual 2 standard/balanced is one of the best, if not the best PAL for distance vision on and off-axis.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information