Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to deep clean a tinting unit?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

how to deep clean a tinting unit?

So my boss bought a used tinting unit and it needs some love!

What can I do to clean it up? It is covered in filth and looks like it may have some rust spots under the gunk. Can I save it? Coyld I ise clr or something?

I will try to get a pic when I go to work in a bit.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oven cleaner + Self service car wash

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

Oven cleaner + Self service car wash

......................same as buying glasses on-line, it might just work,

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    ......................same as buying glasses on-line, it might just work,
    For those of you who may be casual visitors to OB, allow me to explain Chris' reference to online glasses:

1. The first thing you need to know is that any post will trigger an online glasses response.

2. In this case, it was mention of the word "car" in car wash. A car is manufactured on an assembly line. A car has a windshield made of glass. Escalade is a popular car model.

Now, let's look at this statement through the mind of Chris:

A car is manufactured on an assembly line. A car has a windshield made of glass. Escalade is a popular car model.

Now you might understand where he is coming from. He can't help it, everything he sees relates to online glasses for him.

I love you Chris!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Carburetor cleaner and a self serve car wash*

*Be sure to where "safety" glasses, preferably ones bought ONLINE!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For those of you who may be casual visitors to OB, allow me to explain Chris' reference to online glasses:

1. The first thing you need to know is that any post will trigger an online glasses response.

2. In this case, it was mention of the word "car" in car wash. A car is manufactured on an assembly line. A car has a windshield made of glass. Escalade is a popular car model.

A car is manufactured on an assembly line. A car has a windshield made of glass. Escalade is a popular car model.

Now you might understand where he is coming from. He can't help it, everything he sees relates to online glasses for him.

I love you Chris!
    HA! Epic...and accurate! ;)

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

I love you Chris!
    i thought he just copy/pasted stuff from other sources without noting the source so that you might assume that he was the one who wrote it.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Wait until someone else in the office screws up, then give the job to them as punishment. Otherwise, ajax w/steel wool for the really messy stuff, making sure not to damage seals around the heating element inside. Toothbrush for detailing...And, most important of all, clothing that you'll never wear again for the rest of your life.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The purple degreaser from the automotive store works awesome. Take it out into the driveway spray it down let it sit for 10 min and spray it down with the water hose. (preferbly hot water)
    Then let it sit another couple hours after you open it up so that it can completely dry before plugging it in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I love you Chris!
    Oh...I die......
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm just surprised there wasn't a google reference or a blatant ad for something he sells.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tint.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	10334
    Thank you so much guys!! I will try the car wash then!
    you all crack me up! I love that I get information and a good laugh!! :D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You might want to look closer at that picture and figure out if that metal is aluminum or stainless steel , because if it is aluminum, then you might want to apologize to Chris and be asking that chemist whiz to discuss the effects of oven cleaner on aluminum, If it's stainless steel, then that would be another matter.

You might not want to unknowingly etch your metals and their finishes.
    Last edited by idispense; 10-15-2013 at 03:26 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Btw, a little respect might be in order, there's a good chance that the vehicles you are driving, use and incorporate Chris's products to protect your investment.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I am really confused. O.o

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't use oven cleaner if your tank or top plate is aluminum.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Carburetor cleaner and a self serve car wash*

*Be sure to where "safety" glasses, preferably ones bought ONLINE!

It's not safe to use carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner near any painted or wood finishes or plastic parts. It will strip off the paint and ruin not all, but most plastic parts. It likely would not be safe on the gradient tint arm face plate and may not be safe on any plastic washers, grommets or seals around the heating element holes in the tank.

That advice also pertains to Fezz's humor about on line safety glasses. You are a relatively new poster and might not have understood the humor. If that's the case,I think He intended to tell you to be sure to wear safety glasses while cleaning with chemicals and pressure washers, however he should not have made light of the matter to a new poster, and might have explained that you need to wear good quality safety glasses that are not harmed by the very chemicals you are using and wish to protect your eyes from.

You need to be sure that the plastics used in the safety glasses you will be wearing while cleaning the tint tank , are compatible with the cleaners and chemicals you will be pressure washing.
    Last edited by idispense; 10-15-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Thanks "idispense" you are the knight in a steel armour ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post

Don't use oven cleaner if your tank or top plate is aluminum.

Thanks "idispense" you are the knight in a steel armour that has saved my sanity a few times when the gang gangs up on me like a pack of wolfes.

I just love it when professionals, that talk and teach expensive high quality products on a public forum and then suddenly divulge that they are actually are using the cheapest and most common products and supplies they very probably get at WalMart.

Time for me to sit in my new "Town+Country" which also incorporates some of my stuff, and hit the road to Naples FL where I bought a few more homes on the golf course last spring. Thanks to modern times I can still do my work in a distant and warm place instead of shovelling snow.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have a safe trip Chris!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have never seen a tint unit made of aluminum. As Chris will tell you, most units are nothing more than food warmers with specialty (or not) trays added.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Btw, a little respect might be in order, there's a good chance that the vehicles you are driving, use and incorporate Chris's products to protect your investment.
    Yes! In fact, before I turn the key in my car, I always say a prayer to St. Christopher! (Ok, not always, but I have)

You need to be sure that the plastics used in the safety glasses you will be wearing while cleaning the tint tank , are compatible with the cleaners and chemicals you will be pressure washing.
    Very true!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interestingly I have, on occasion, tried to meet up with Chris when I am down in Fla. during the winter, but could not make the connection. Now I realize it's because he's moving from house to house! I was able to catch up with Craig and Braheem, but never Chris. I guess what they say is true, moving targets are harder to hit!

And yes Chris, please do have a safe trip, as I plan on trying to visit you again this year!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh lord after seeing that picture I would suggest a good industral cleaning and a couple cans of Hi-Temp automotive engine paint to make it look pretty also.
    Maybe you might want to put on a compleat hazmat suit just to save your hide.
    Last edited by CCGREEN; 10-15-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Bad address email on file mamasoup's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I clean the outside of my tint unit with stainless steel cleaner for my sinks. Tint neutralizer works on the dye pans, and steel wool on the inside. Presto!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Interestingly I have, on occasion, tried to meet up with Chris when I am down in Fla. during the winter, but could not make the connection. Now I realize it's because he's moving from house to house! I was able to catch up with Craig and Braheem, but never Chris. I guess what they say is true, moving targets are harder to hit!

And yes Chris, please do have a safe trip, as I plan on trying to visit you again this year!
    *SNORT*

People don't normally get it, but I do

Thread Information