Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to deep clean a tinting unit?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! All of a sudden I feel subliminally incline to order me some internut specs!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

And yes Chris, please do have a safe trip, as I plan on trying to visit you again this year!

It will be a pleasure .................last time was just after the open heart by-pass surgery and valve replacement and I did not feel too hot.

...........and I can not move from house to house as they are rented and the old ladies would probably throw me out in no time.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    oven cleaner, and for the rust spots, CLR..."calcium, lime, and rust" cleaner, then dove dish soap is really good to get off any additional oily residue... :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interestingly I have, on occasion, tried to meet up with Chris when I am down in Fla. during the winter, but could not make the connection. Now I realize it's because he's moving from house to house! I was able to catch up with Craig and Braheem, but never Chris. I guess what they say is true, moving targets are harder to hit!

And yes Chris, please do have a safe trip, as I plan on trying to visit you again this year!
    I am duly impressed with the Summit and its obvious choice of team leadership for healthcare but who is qualified to deal with and head up the committee to deal with your hidden and imbedded messages ?

Have you considered the benefits to having really special reps ?

Perhaps you need someone with passion, industry experience, conviction and forward vision who believes it can be done.
    Last edited by idispense; 10-15-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who knows? Maybe this will help: (stolen from my sister-in-laws facebook)

How to clean your cookie sheets--Kitchen "Miracle" Cleaner! You put about 1/4 cup of baking soda in a small glass bowl and squirt in hydrogen peroxide until it makes a nice paste. Then you rub it on the offending dirt/stain/grease...whatever! You can usually just use your fingers...but you can also use a small sponge as well.

It's worth a try...and looks safe enough!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns:

The baking soda method may represent a more eco friendly approach rather than blasting harsh, caustic chemicals about the atmosphere with a pressure washer, or letting chemicals run down a driveway or cross over lawns on their way into sewers and pets or other animals.

Has anyone tried this method ? What is the correct way to dispose of the rinse residue ?

Idispense

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Carburetor cleaner and a self serve car wash*

*Be sure to where "safety" glasses, preferably ones bought ONLINE!

I am curious as to how the local car wash or town would go about filtering out carburetor cleaner from our eventual drinking water ?

I am also curious as to which model of safety eyeglasses would be recommended to prevent stray droplets of pressure washer propelled carburetor cleaner from contacting the cornea ? Which model of safety glasses with facial seals can withstand several hundreds or thousands of psi of pressure washer propelled solvents ?
    Last edited by idispense; 10-16-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I am so thankfull to all of you................................

I am so thankfull to all of you for all the professional advise how to clean a tint tank. It has just partially helped me to solve a problem that has occured with an overseas customer that tints photo filters for professional video and movie cameras (x-tra large sizes).

We should all be happy to have a tool available like OB on the web, where we can transmit our positive and also "snoddy" thoughts.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The safety data sheets for carburetor cleaner may be worth reading particularly as we are opticians dealing with eye health, I couldn't make the link work properly here but you can google it. Look at the 3M data sheet on the subject

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    I am also curious as to which model of safety eyeglasses would be recommended to prevent stray droplets of pressure washer propelled carburetor cleaner from contacting the cornea ? Which model of safety glasses with facial seals can withstand several hundreds or thousands of psi of pressure washer propelled solvents ?
    To be honest, when I was in college (Fla), I had a night job inspecting, and then cleaning the fire suppression systems located in the oven hoods at the Cash and Carry, Winn Dixie, Publix, and other grocery stores. That is where I found out the awesome job EZ Off does on stainless (much fast than hitting dried grease w/4k lbs of water/steam). I also found out how caustic it could be as a chunk of grease and oven clean dripped off one of the hoods and onto my earlobe. I didn't realize it until I turned the pressure washing equipment off and wiped off my face. By that time, the oven cleaner had eaten a small corner of my lobe! It did grow back, but there is a small scar.

Safety glasses? I was 22 years old, and since nothing bad could ever happen to a 22 yr old, safety glasses never even entered the equation. (I did wear a helmet on my motorcycle though)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    I am curious as to how the local car wash or town would go about filtering out carburetor cleaner from our eventual drinking water ?

No worries here Mate.

I often paddle my canoe with a pancake!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ugh! For all this - please just buy a new tint unit. Best of health Chris. 14 years with a pig's valve here (lost my taste for pork). Despite my utter disregard for my own health - still going strong. But in my small shop for tinting - I have an electric kettle, tap water and tint in mini-bins. I do it per order. Simple and economical. Mabye too slow for the big boys - but good enough for me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    No worries here Mate.

I often paddle my canoe with a pancake!
    Would you be interested in a paddle shaped batter mould ? My first 4 or 5 pancakes off the grill aren't suitable to eat either.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ....... (I did wear a helmet on my motorcycle though)
    Thats more than the biker boys and girls in Maine do even today.

Thread Information