Thread: Optical Shop Software

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optical Shop Software

Good Morning. My optical shop is attempting to move into the digital age with processing optical orders and filing. Two programs have come to my attention, Officemate and Flexsys. Any information about these programs or recommendations on any other programs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Save $$$$ with Acculab
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Goal is user friendly and cost effective.

Occupation
    Vision Express

Occupation
    Had officemate in 1988...... not user friendly and not cost effective. I'm sure it has changed since 1988. Probably worse.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work with officemate with no problems. It's kind of a beast to setup, although this latest update did help.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    everytime i open up OfficeMate, i am hoping to get a couple hours out if it before the database hangs my server and i need to reboot my pc. it is way way unnecessarily overcomplicated and intricate for most offices...i am eagerly searching for a simpler solution

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use OM and almost never have any issues... not like ak47 anyway. Its all I have ever used so I dont have anytihng to compare it to, but its easy to use and integrates with the iprofiler and optos daytona

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Officemate is "locked down. " Which is great from the sense that there is a clear audit trail and thus accountability. Down side is that can be problematic to fix simple things on fee slips. There is no consistency in the assorted user interfaces, so feels cumbersome at times. Double click works here , but not there..have to click on the F2 search button on this screen but on other I can type in the search criteria and just hit enter. Small but annoying things. V10 product was simple to set up compared to some others I have used, but not as informative as I would prefer for insurance.

What do you want the software to do. Need a full suite with EHR or looking for a simple point of sale system? What features are key for you? Claims processing? Lab interface to port orders directly to lab?
    Last edited by Jubilee; 10-14-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typing / texting edits
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MyVision Express is not "locked down" unless you want it to be. Employees can make changes, but there is a definite trail as to who made them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Working for others, I've used OfficeMate, CompuLink, MaximEyes. When it was my own money, I bought My Vision Express. Officemate crashed servers, updates were a nightmare, office wide reboots at 11:30AM or 4PM, busiest possible times. OM was cumbersome, its inventory system was not as useful as it should have been. But OM was great for insurance, billing, VSP orders integrating with Vision Web. And it was easy to teach people.

MVE isn't as intuitive to learn, but does everything I need with a better inventory management system. Support has been excellent.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Working for others, I've used OfficeMate, CompuLink, MaximEyes. When it was my own money, I bought My Vision Express. Officemate crashed servers, updates were a nightmare, office wide reboots at 11:30AM or 4PM, busiest possible times. OM was cumbersome, its inventory system was not as useful as it should have been. But OM was great for insurance, billing, VSP orders integrating with Vision Web. And it was easy to teach people.

MVE isn't as intuitive to learn, but does everything I need with a better inventory management system. Support has been excellent.
    Java99...........How long (hours) did it take you to imput all the info on lens pricing and frame & accessory inventory to MVE?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Java99...........How long (hours) did it take you to imput all the info on lens pricing and frame & accessory inventory to MVE?
    Lens pricing with all the options and variables/materials/coatings/codes/pricing and accessories, probably a day, day and a half. Wouldn't take that long now that I've used the software longer. Frames, I used Frames Data and had about 1400 frames to put in, took considerably longer. I've since realized Frames Data isn't worth the money, and when I have to do a new collection by hand, say 18 or 24 frames, takes an hour or so, but I do all the frame measurements by hand and fill in all the data fields I can for reporting.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Hi Java99. We'd love to get to know more about your business and software needs and show you how My Vision Express can accelerate your practice. Call us at 1.877.882.7455 or visit www.MyVisionExpress.com for more info.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by D Smith View Post
    Good Morning. My optical shop is attempting to move into the digital age with processing optical orders and filing. Two programs have come to my attention, Officemate and Flexsys. Any information about these programs or recommendations on any other programs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Hello D Smith. Congrats on deciding to advance your optical shop!

We know that some of the biggest challenges facing opticians today are accurate lab orders and insurance billing management, so we've designed our software to help ECPs save time and reduce errors. Our team of Optical and IT professionals will work with you every step of the way to successfully make the change from paper to software. Call us at 1.877.882.7455 or visit www.MyVisionExpress.com for more details.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Any recommendations for one that will export directly to eyefinity and visionstar? We are tired of keying everything in a dozen times.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by theGross1 View Post
    Any recommendations for one that will export directly to eyefinity and visionstar? We are tired of keying everything in a dozen times.
    Hello theGross1. My Vision Express integrates with a number of companies. See http://www.myvisionexpress.com/lab-interfaces/ for details. Feel free to call us at 1.877.882.7455 if you have any questions about how My Vision Express can streamline your lab orders.

Thread Information