Thread: "I think that this will work better..."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question "I think that this will work better..."

Let say the patient gives you an RX He wants a PAL. Outside of MFG design, seg height,PD,wrap,BVD and panto (I understand that on most freeforms you cant choose BC), what can an optician do to alter the design of a manufacturers PAL or Change the Drs Rx? Just curious.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WOW! 86 views and NO responses. It would seem that opticians have very little control over lenses except the measurements that we take and the preset designs (freeform or other) that we have to choose from.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Let say the patient gives you an RX He wants a PAL. Outside of MFG design, seg height,PD,wrap,BVD and panto (I understand that on most freeforms you cant choose BC), what can an optician do to alter the design of a manufacturers PAL or Change the Drs Rx? Just curious.
    The add power is usually negotiable. Prism thinning for PALs. I'm not sure where your headed with this, but don't underestimate the importance of PAL design, especially with the higher adds and/or distance powers.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just curious as to how much influence opticians can actually have over the designs of a lens or has all that been sorted out for us and all we get to do is choose ,measure and order. (NOT that I was EVEN SMART ENOUGH to design a PAL). I have noticed that the lab will do prism thinning automatically sometimes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is one lab we did a few jobs with that allowed you to specify the "most important" aspects of a PAL design for your pt. Such as distance is most important for drivers, computer distance for secretaries etc. But every one of them went back for massive swim and poor optics. Shamir also claimed something similar with some of their designs as well, and some fancy ordering on the part of the dispenser in regards to set corridor lengths and PAL style.

Is that what you're trying to find out? Apart from that, you're right. No - the optician does not have the ability to "design" anything with the PALs designs readily available to dispensers today so far as I know.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The most variable an optician can do is in lens choice, customized as much as possible with available products. One of the most variable is FF designs that you can change corridor length and include POW data. WARNING: Know the what's, where's and why's you change/customize or it will bite you back!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're leaps and bounds ahead of what we did 25 years ago! It seems our knowledge in the different options for fitting each patient is the key to success. As for the technology, I refer to The Wisdom of the Day...The pursuit of perfection often impedes improvement George Will

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    The most variable an optician can do is in lens choice, customized as much as possible with available products. One of the most variable is FF designs that you can change corridor length and include POW data. WARNING: Know the what's, where's and why's you change/customize or it will bite you back!
    Ain't that the truth? I do like variable corridors but it took me a minute to get the hang of them. Plus, even when you understand and try to anticipate what a patient is asking for you still can error. I try not to get too terribly funky with fixed corridors unless I absolutely have to. When I do, I let the patient know what I'm doing, why I'm doing it, and what the pros and cons are.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Thread Information