Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Care Act and your personal health insurance coverage

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Crafter, if you'd like to stick to the points I and others have made it would be more productive. Just for the record, I've voted straight R ticket for over 38 years, but I now call myself an independent. The tea partiers are going to ruin this country. I've have direct experience at my state capitol dealing with them on Opticianry issues.

Now, lets get back on topic and tell us precisely what and why you don't like the ACA.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    What about the working poor? Apparently there are millions of them out there, hence the ACT in the first place. What exactly are they wiggling when they pay into the system for years? And for that matter, why use the word wiggling? (Here I am going on a wild goose chase) Must the assumption always be that the other guy is trying to get something over on "us"? That everyone else is just looking for a hand-out on "our dime"? As often as this may be the case, it shouldn't get in the way of assisting people who need it. /ideological soapbox
    I was not referring to people on medicaid or medicaid eligible.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Now, lets get back on topic and tell us precisely what and why you don't like the ACA.
    If you all refer to the original post I asked "Any changes in your life or is if business as usual?" I really don't care what your political opinions are, they don't matter, but has there ben any change in your health insurance status?

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Crafter, if you'd like to stick to the points I and others have made it would be more productive. Just for the record, I've voted straight R ticket for over 38 years, but I now call myself an independent. The tea partiers are going to ruin this country. I've have direct experience at my state capitol dealing with them on Opticianry issues.

Laughing at me talking about Bi-Partisianship is sticking to the points?

Rbaker - To your origianl question, I dont think it has affected anybody yet, it may be a bit early, but if everybody here does not believe the ACA is not political is fooling themselves.

The ACA is the most political hot button issue in the country today...period... over 60% of the public does not want it, and it's not because of mis-information... it is because the Dems passed it without reading it

I'll quote Nancy Pelosi " we have to pass it , to find out what's in it"

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCrafter View Post
    over 60% of the public does not want it, and it's not because of mis-information
    Ummm...about that, sorry, but the numbers about about 47% against and 45% for. And an even more startling number is this: 70% against Obamacare and 47% against ACA. So what were you saying about mis-information again??? Hmmmm????

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've given you 4 counter points to your points that you've yet to respond to. And yes, it's laughable if you think this subject can be bi-partisian in current D.C. Let's look at what republicans and the rest of Americans really think of the ACA;

1. ACA allows young Americans to stay on their parents’ insurance plans
    According to polling, three-in-four Americans support this part of the Affordable Care Act including, yes, over two-thirds of Republicans.

2. ACA bans insurance companies from denying coverage for pre-existing conditions
    The ban on pre-existing condition limits, which will apply to every single American by 2014, is supported by 83% of Americans.

3. ACA offers tax credits to small businesses to buy insurance
    According to polling, 88% of Americans think these small business tax credits are great, including — wait for it ... yes, 83% of Republicans. That’s right, over eight-in-ten Republicans support the provision of ObamaCare that helps small businesses afford and expand their health insurance offerings to employees.

4. ACA requires companies with more than 50 employees to provide health insurance
    In Florida alone, more than 50,000 workers at companies like McDonald’s and Burger King are on the state’s Medicaid rolls. Especially with tax credits available to small businesses, there is no excuse for companies to pass the buck. And 75% of Americans support this element of ObamaCare.

5. ACA provides subsidies to help individuals afford coverage
    The few Americans who think subsidizing care is a bad idea should, again, note that we already subsidize health care to a far greater degree in the form of Medicaid and also when the uninsured rely on free emergency room care and pass those astronomical costs on to the rest of us. But most Americans — 76% to be exact — support the individual subsidy. That includes 61% of Republicans.

6. State-based health insurance exchanges
    Americans of all political stripes like choice and competition, which is precisely what the ObamaCare health insurance exchanges will create. So it’s no wonder that 80% of Americans — including 72% of Republicans — support the health insurance exchange program in ObamaCare. And that’s even before the exchanges have taken effect.

Note: the above is from Fox, not a Bastian for liberal thought.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...-theyre-gonna/

To Dick; No change for me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What this proves is that people don't know what they are talking about as it relates to the ACA. When they hear Obamacare, there is a knee jerk reaction against it because they just hate the man and anything he stands for...but "oh, yeah, I think affordable health care is a good idea."

Like I said earlier, my insurance agent says things for my company plan will not change much. I trust them. I'll let you know a year from now.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sally Kohn rests on the left plate of Fox News balance scale.

So Tea Partiers will dismiss her comments/observations.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Kohn

Dick- No change here in Massachusetts to my insurance.

We in Mass are trying to get an exemption to allow more than one open enrollment period a year from the Feds as we currently do, but so far our presidents good friend and possibly next attorney general Gov. Deval Patrick hasn't persuaded Obama. As I understand it this change would allow small business' a more flexible time frame to change insurance companies to save money. Another example of what will probably change as the ACA matures and states take over their exchanges as was originally envisioned.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-04-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: clarify...

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Here in Minnesota, open enrollment typically is from October through the end of the year. I have no idea how this came to pass, but trying to change that will be like trying turn off Niagara Falls to retrieve a lost baseball cap.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Here in Minnesota, open enrollment typically is from October through the end of the year. I have no idea how this came to pass, but trying to change that will be like trying turn off Niagara Falls to retrieve a lost baseball cap.
    By allowing multiple times during the year to change plans insurance companies can try to undercut their competitors with same or better coverage for less cost and to them them the sooner the better. The business community will also be all for it for the savings they'll see.

I think right now the Fed's are trying to digest the elephant in the snake they didn't intend to swallow.

Metaphor unintended but great on a couple of levels!.

Occupation
    The fall out over the ACA is, were going to be a part time nation. Companies are either going to cut employee hours or lay people off.

If you owned a company that had 100 Employee's and could not afford to pay your Employee's insurance because, you can't compete with Companies in China, would you just suck it up and pay, or cut hours to avoid paying for Employee's insurance? If that Company can't compete already, how is going to compete now? Plus we have the largest corporate tax rate of any naton.

Now before all the ObamaCare lovers go nuts let me just say, it isnt going to be all Companies.

But there is going to be alot of Companies that do, as a matter of fact , alot already have.

Then small business Owners will not have enough of an incentive. Does anybody know the tax credit in dollars that a small business gets? Last time I saw something on that it was not worth it for the small business Owner.
    Last edited by MasterCrafter; 10-02-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCrafter View Post
    The fall out over the ACA is, were going to be a part time nation. Companies are either going to cut employee hours or lay people off.

If you owned a company that had 100 Employee's and could not afford to pay your Employee's insurance because, you can't compete with Companies in China, would you just suck it up and pay, or cut hours to avoid paying for Employee's insurance? If that Company can't compete already, how is going to compete now?

Now before all the ObamaCare lovers go nuts let me just say, it isnt going to be all Companies.

But there is going to be alot of Companies that do, as a matter of fact , alot already have.

Then small business Owners will not have enough of an incentive. Does anybody know the tax credit in dollars that a small business gets? Last time I saw something on that it was not worth it for the small business Owner.
    The fact that we can't compete with China for jobs has nothing to do with the ACA. We have been losing jobs to them for decades. Actually, if you have read the NYTimes lately, there was an article about how energy costs in China, transportation costs, etc. are going up there to the point where Chinese companies are coming to North America (US and Mexico) with their factories...Much like the Japanese automakers did.

And as far as "many businesses have already decided to cut back on their plans..." Do you have a source for this statement other the court of public opinion? Businesses over 50 employees are going to have to offer an inhouse plan in 2015, this part of the ACA was delayed one year after an agreement with the administration and businesses to give them an extra year to get ready. So, Obama did make some concessions. If businesses don't have a plan by then they will be penalized...so basically, they will start up plans.

And yes, the ACA does exempt some groups that ALREADY HAVE health insurance plans...because they were already being responsible to their employees. We may not particularly like these groups (Congress, labor unions, etc.) but they are not the problem.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    The fact that we can't compete with China for jobs has nothing to do with the ACA. We have been losing jobs to them for decades. Actually, if you have read the NYTimes lately, there was an article about how energy costs in China, transportation costs, etc. are going up there to the point where Chinese companies are coming to North America (US and Mexico) with their factories...Much like the Japanese automakers did.

And as far as "many businesses have already decided to cut back on their plans..." Do you have a source for this statement other the court of public opinion? Businesses over 50 employees are going to have to offer an inhouse plan in 2015, this part of the ACA was delayed one year after an agreement with the administration and businesses to give them an extra year to get ready. So, Obama did make some concessions. If businesses don't have a plan by then they will be penalized...so basically, they will start up plans.

And yes, the ACA does exempt some groups that ALREADY HAVE health insurance plans...because they were already being responsible to their employees. We may not particularly like these groups (Congress, labor unions, etc.) but they are not the problem.
    Making a Company pay more taxes and give Employee's healthcare doesnt help matters Fjpod. We need to have everyone contribute tax money into the system. We can't have over 50% of the people in this country not pay 1 dime in taxes. Maybe you don't understand that but a fact is a fact. We can live in some fantasy world where everything is paid for everybody. But what money is used to pay for all those entitlments? Other people's money? At some point we run out of "other people's money"

Do you agree or dis-agree that Northen States are losing people and Businesses to other States that give tax breaks? I can tell you for sure they are...New York is losing about $7000 a minute do to loss in Businsses/People moving out of state. Florida is gaining about $4000 a minute, there are alot of other states gaining too.

And your kidding yourself if you think Unions and Congress aren't part of the problem. Like I said, the Republicans offered to stop the Government shut down if the Dems would have the same insurance as they passed on thier subjects, err I mean the American People, and enter the ObamaCare exchanges. But the Dems rejected that, they do not want ObamaCare because they said thier "helpers/workers" couldnt afford it. Can you say "let them eat cake" ? Why wouldnt they want the same thing for them as they imposed on the rest of America?

Then there is the concern over privacy. The exchanges want you to enter all your personal information, which I understand would be essential if somebody needed health insurance. But there are already stories of hackers accessing the data on the exchanges. Prime for a political foe to blackmail people. " Oh, I see Mr Crafter voted for the Libertarian candidate, let's audit him" "Oh, I see Mr Crafter ate one too many Pizza Slices, Let's fine him"

Too 1984 for me,
    Last edited by MasterCrafter; 10-02-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ***yawn***

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To respond to OP:

Our office offers medical insurance through Humana which I participate in because my employer generously pays for more than half of my premium each month . I have had this plan for the past 6 years. In that time my deductible went from $1000 to $3000. My co-pays went up 30% across the board. I should note though that my plan did not change from 2012 to 2013 at all and word from Humana just this week is that it won't change a single cent for 2014, even with the impending doom of Obamacare.

And I'm just going to throw this out there because I can: "Your" is a possessive pronoun meaning something belonging to someone. "You'RE" is the contraction meaning you are. :)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My insurance is through my husbands union, our plan has been changing every year for the past decade or so. Higher co pays and deductibles. Every time the contract comes up for renewal insurance is one of the key things both sides use as a bargaining chip. My husband works for UPS, and contrary to the Internet rumors spouses of union members are not losing their coverage, spouses of the non union managers are-is this due to the ACA ? Or just typical corporate cost cutting?dont know, maybe a little of both. I think it's too early to tell much about how the ACA will affect us.
    i do think the gov shut down over the ACA is going to be bad for the economy-they need to figure something out fast, lots of mom and pops rely on those 800,000 employees to buy stuff from them, how long can they go without a pay check and still be consumers?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm with Fezz. There's no agreement to be had here. Nobody is convincing anyone of anything. Wait and see, everything else is tic-tac-toe. Enjoy your stalemate.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If we all came to an agreement, would anything change? Good luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If low wage part time workers are having hours reduced to save the employer from providing insurance isn't that going to create new part time jobs?

It stands to reason that the employers workforce is the minimum required to keep the business running so aren't they going to have to hire more workers?

I'll be interested to see if this happens next year when the ACA kicks in.

I also imagine union bosses are shedding crocodile tears over the loss of employee hours as the companies will just have to hire more to take up the slack.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    If low wage part time workers are having hours reduced to save the employer from providing insurance.....
    Go through all that to save $2000 a year?

It equates to less then a $1.00 raise for a full time employee, let's please move on to another sky is falling scare tactic.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been with the same company for four years and our deductible has been rising a steady $500 a year, now at $5000. If i wanted to go to the $1000 deductible plan, I would have to pay A little over $150 a pay period ($300 a month) to get on the better plan. I'm due in February, and if we were going to use MY insurance for the baby it would go to $250 a pay period ($500 a month) just to have both of us on insurance. I'm actually excited for the ACA to come in because up until that happens maine will no longer be a closed insurance market (i believe thats the right term) and it will open us up for a lot more competition and hopefully more companies will move in and maybe i'll be able to get better coverage for at least the same amount of money if not less. i'm glad my manfriend is in the military so at least the baby will be covered well :)

Point being, i guess it hasn't affected us yet, but i'm anxious to see the ways that it will.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have not read any of the previous posts, so with that said, I have to add my personal experience with the Federal web sight. I got on RIGHT away, registered, looked at plans, and found out that I would be better served looking at my state plans. That too has been suprisingly easy and VERY affordable. I hope more people start having good experiences.
    I came, I saw, I left

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My experience not so great with the website. Took forever to get on then it just locked up. Still cant get a price. A little frustrated to say the least.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My in-laws had a private plan that is now being dropped. They can't get through the website to sign up for ACA. If they don't get through by the end of the year, they will not have coverage and it will not be by their choice. Not sure if their rates will go up or down since they couldn't get that far. We'll see.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    My in-laws had a private plan that is now being dropped. They can't get through the website to sign up for ACA. If they don't get through by the end of the year, they will not have coverage and it will not be by their choice. Not sure if their rates will go up or down since they couldn't get that far. We'll see.
    Am I correct to assume your in laws are not yet 65?

And don't forget that any plan they'd pay for now will not take effect until January 1,2014.

Thread Information