Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Initial Eyewear Sale Language !Help!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    All this sales strategy talk...somehow it bothers me. Sure, I'm in business too, and I have to make a buck, and pay the staaff, but leading or mis-leading the patient simply for improving profits is in nobody's best interest. If you need a "strategy" to get your patients to consider purchasing eyewear at your office, then you are doing something wrong. Make believe every patient is your mother or father.
    I agree totally!

(The make believe parent thing might be an issue though; I'd be asking them all for a "small loan to get me through till payday", and sending them all out the door with a basket of dirty laundry!)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have a pretty natural way to do it.

As I'm wrapping up the visit, I have to route the patient. Sometimes to the optical, sometimes to the front desk.

(If I don't already know) I ask: "Do you want to look at glasses today?" If they say so, I say: "Let me take you to Willhemina, our optician. She can help you."

If I have a specific optical tx plan recommendation for a patient, I'll tell them about it during the case presentation at the end of the exam. I'll also let Herr Villy know what I'm thinking, and I don't hesitate to discuss it in front of the patient who tends to be standing next to me. Kinda makes for a good show.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    .......... Just be polite, professional and available.
    Nailed it! Only two things I would add to it is dont be shy and dont come across as "stuffy".

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    @fjpod: I used to tell our folks to treat every patient like they were their parents, and if they didn’t care for their parents, then to act like they were mine whom I love. I might suggest to you, and I do not want this to “bother” you, but this was a strategy that we utilized to help all of our associates recognize how high the bar was for treating patients with respect.

@JasonH: I will agree that having the Dr do a sales pitch is creepy. At the same time, having a Dr understand how the patient could live better with a specific 1st, 2nd or 3rd pair and then not educate the patient on how eye wear could/will help them see better according to their lifestyle is just plain wrong. When I take family members to Drs, I expect that the Dr will understand the health issue, understand the patient and make suggestions for long term health. Some suggestions may be no cost (lifestyle), and others may have a cost to them. When we trust the Dr, we see that as prescribing/doctoring and not selling… Then we make a decision to move forward with the prescribed plan or not, but it is now an educated decision.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1960, I agree completely - but my experience with OD's reccomending from the chair has been less than altruistic. Educate- absolutely. PT Barnum with an opthalmascope - no thanks. Also, isn't it an optician's job to match product with need? I wouldn't be comfortable doing my OD's job, why would he presume to be as "helpful" with mine?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    JH: Thanks for the conversation. I appreciate your PT Barnum comment because we both despise these types of folks. No OD and/or optician who is a PTB and will not change their behaviors will be associated with me either. So simply stay with the education piece of the exam and patient interaction. Education can and I believe should include information on how they can see better with a new Rx and also how they can see better with a design or lens treatment that they may not be used to. Example: If you have a school bus driver who does not have a pair of polarized lenses (or sun at all) for driving in the bright sun and they have kids around their vehicle constantly, I would have a difficult time with an OD and/or optician who did not discuss the safety attributes of a quality sun pair with this patient. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Optician1960; 09-20-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by jakef View Post
    The owner/optometrist just came to me pretty upset after seeing a behavior that we have been trying to break in our office. The O.D.'s spend a lot of time and energy in the lanes informing the patient about what their eyewear needs are. They call in an optician, tell the optician what the care plan is going to be i.e. "Mr. Smith is going to need a new pair of glasses, and I'd like him to have a high quality A/R". The optician walks out of the lane with the patient and says "would you like to look at glasses?" It seems like that's the only phrase the staff feels comfortable uttering out. So, since we are ASSUMING that the patient would like to look at glasses, we are going to coach the staff on things to say. If it's me, I'm defaulting to open ended questions about frame materials and designs, or questions about how the eyewear might be used to get the patient engaged. IF the staff member is still lacking in confidence, is there any easy phrase or "elevator pitch" that anyone is using to engage with a patient after the handoff? I'd love to hear everyone's opinion. Thanks!
    Jake,

Take a look at the Rx and assume they are getting a frame and assume they don't have a clue which frame is going to work with their Rx. (assume they don't have a clue and need a professional salesperson)

My conversations usually go like this: "Hi Mrs. Jones my name is ***** I'm going to help you with your prescription today, based on the script here are three options that would work best for a myope|hyperope|presbyope, and here are three types of frames we are going to avoid. Style wise I would love to see some color on you, your skin complexion is warm|cool and you are bold|conservative so I would choose a contrasting|complementing color/s to suit. Your facial symmetry indicates we go with a more round|square shape and based on your features we can balance your look with this style."

Before they know it the seats been pulled out and we are discussing lenses, I didn't sell you a frame I sold you the frame. My promise to every client I will compliment you on your look every time I see you in office, grocery store, gas station, etc. I'll even tell you that's my intention, after all that's why I helped you pick them out to make sure they looked good enough to say I sold them to you. It should be easy from there.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Jake:
    Where did you or the Dr find out when, why, where or how the patient will use the eye glasses that you have "sold" them? We both agree that patients should look good in their frames, but those "lenses" play an important role also... If the Doc is only handing you an Rx and not sharing some form of reference of the how, where and why, then they might be falling short of helping that patient truly see as well as they can with the new Rx during their busy days...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our doctor recommends and I do the rest. Sales are based on recommendations but I deviate if I think it would suit the patient. I chit chat before and after but during the sale it's all about product education. I also like to recommend frames based on Rx and lens considerations so I will take my little tray and pick several even if the patient is also browsing. But before education and frames and chit chat it's usually a cheerful "Mr. Smith? Come right on over here and have a seat with me". We like to keep it friendly, it's a small town but it's also a million dollar store so we must be doing something right.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1960, I knew we were on the same page. Yes, there is a responsibility to match product and educate for need - this is what real opticians do. Mabye even OD's as well. If the two dovetail- now you really have something. Good luck Warbley Parker. The overkill is the dicey part. I've worked for OD's who reccomended two pairs of glasses, RX sun's, a trip to Bermuda and a Piper Cub carte blanche to every poor soul who crossed their threshold. These thinly-veiled sales pitches I came to despise. The line is blurry between sometimes but it's also how you can distinguish yourself not only from the internet and Wal-mart, but also from the "legitimate" practices that would take advantage of people who put absolute faith in a carnival barker. If this profession is to overcome it's current challenges I believe this is the way.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here it is all about being polite, professional and fun. Most people relate going to the doctor as a dull experience, but if you can get a person involved in the conversations and laughing not only will they leave happy, but will be a patient for life. Our goal is to get a person interested in their vision and asking questions. We want people to see their eyewear as a way to show their "Eyedentity" to the world. If you have a passion for opticianry patients will see that and gravitate back to for all optical questions.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyedentity3 View Post
    Here it is all about being polite, professional and fun. Most people relate going to the doctor as a dull experience, but if you can get a person involved in the conversations and laughing not only will they leave happy, but will be a patient for life. Our goal is to get a person interested in their vision and asking questions. We want people to see their eyewear as a way to show their "Eyedentity" to the world. If you have a passion for opticianry patients will see that and gravitate back to for all optical questions.
    Fantastic philosophy, I love it.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyedentity3 View Post

Ed3: I like it...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well, I don't. Eye exams are exhilarating for patients. Never boring. I give them several options OTHER THAN "one or two". I may say "three or "four". Some days "this one, or this one". It's rarely the same experience for the patient. What's more, I can have them read "T-Z-V-E-C-L" or even read it--(wait for it)--BACKWARDS: L-C-E-V-Z-T! Sometimes, I'll puff their right eye first. Other times, the left eye. Same with the blinding light of the ophthalmoscope..."Hey, it was a white light last time! Now it's blue-green! What will you do next, doc!?"

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Well, I don't. Eye exams are exhilarating for patients. Never boring. I give them several options OTHER THAN "one or two". I may say "three or "four". Some days "this one, or this one". It's rarely the same experience for the patient. What's more, I can have them read "T-Z-V-E-C-L" or even read it--(wait for it)--BACKWARDS: L-C-E-V-Z-T! Sometimes, I'll puff their right eye first. Other times, the left eye. Same with the blinding light of the ophthalmoscope..."Hey, it was a white light last time! Now it's blue-green! What will you do next, doc!?"
    On the edge of my seat too see what you come up with next Doc!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My only hope is that you're only half kidding. Make your patients remember you and you need never fear coastal, wal-mart, china, whatever is under your bed or zombie unicorns with rabies. A computer doesn't smile - and in costco it is simply forbidden. Still wondering how you can compete?......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jakef View Post
    The owner/optometrist just came to me pretty upset after seeing a behavior that we have been trying to break in our office. The O.D.'s spend a lot of time and energy in the lanes informing the patient about what their eyewear needs are. They call in an optician, tell the optician what the care plan is going to be i.e. "Mr. Smith is going to need a new pair of glasses, and I'd like him to have a high quality A/R". The optician walks out of the lane with the patient and says "would you like to look at glasses?" It seems like that's the only phrase the staff feels comfortable uttering out. So, since we are ASSUMING that the patient would like to look at glasses, we are going to coach the staff on things to say. If it's me, I'm defaulting to open ended questions about frame materials and designs, or questions about how the eyewear might be used to get the patient engaged. IF the staff member is still lacking in confidence, is there any easy phrase or "elevator pitch" that anyone is using to engage with a patient after the handoff? I'd love to hear everyone's opinion. Thanks!
    The key word here is OPTICIAN. If the person trying to take care of the patient is not trying to find out their visual and lifestyle needs, they are only an order taker, not an Optician. I realize that Texas has no regulations for calling someone an Optician, but there is a vast difference. Sorry, but I believe that here the Doctor is trying to do what is best for the patient, and it needs to be followed up with a GOOD Optician. There is no issue about FTC Eyeglass Rx Rule, if it is handled correctly.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do appreciate all the viewpoints shared. However, I disagree with anyone who is against selling eyewear. Education and information is important, and it is always free to any patient or customer who walks into my office, but this is also a fashion industry. We "buy" glasses to "sell" them at a profit that justifies employing both our ABO/NCLE certified and non-cert Opticians. (yes we have both). Keep in mind that there are a lot of people who WANT to be sold to. That's why we have name brands on eyewear, and can explain features and benefits of lenses/frame combinations. We aren't trying to be pushy, we are simply trying to do what is best for the patient and the business at the same time. I personally think that educating is really selling; until you over-estimate the amount of information the patient wants, and forget to close your "education".

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you by the way for the examples many of you have provided. This gives me an excellent meeting topic for next Monday.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optician1960 View Post
    Jake:
    Where did you or the Dr find out when, why, where or how the patient will use the eye glasses that you have "sold" them? We both agree that patients should look good in their frames, but those "lenses" play an important role also... If the Doc is only handing you an Rx and not sharing some form of reference of the how, where and why, then they might be falling short of helping that patient truly see as well as they can with the new Rx during their busy days...
    The Dr. will page in an optician for the final education and optical treatment plan. They will all 3 leave the room about the same time, and the doctor goes to his next patient while the optician and patient walk to the disp/front desk area. The staff seems uncomfortable at that stage for some reason, so I'm trying to give them conversation directions that don't undue the Dr's work and education with the patient. I really don't think its a lack of education from the Dr, but I'll try to watch closer to make sure that portion of the exam isn't being missed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just going from your OP and your last reply, it sounds like a simple problem that could be solved with a script. "Please follow me and we can discuss the frames and lenses that work best with your needs." Bam. Simple.
    I am curious, you say the doc pages an optician for the hand-off, so to speak. Then you say the staff, meaning opticians, are uncomfortable taking responsibility for patient care from the doctor. I am sorry if this sounds like I am provoking you, but I have to ask, how does one get to the point of being an optician on staff and not be comfortable with patient care/sales?

Thread Information