Thread: Wrong RX or wrong frame? Opticians giving different opinions!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Wrong RX or wrong frame? Opticians giving different opinions!

Newbie here! I wear progressive glasses with no problem. Wanted to buy RX progressive sunglasses and was required to have my RX updated. Here is the RX information: ............................................................ ............................................... .......................................... OLD: Right: -0.25 sph, +0.50 cyl, 095 axis
    Left: -1.50 sph, - 2.75 cyl, 087 axis

New
    Right: +0.50 sph, -0.50 cyl, 013 axis
    Left: +1.50 sph, -3.00 cyl, 175 axis ............................................................ .................................. ................................................ I selected a pair of Maui Jims Sports and when I got them was surprised that the optics were not good. Specifically, depth perception off, difficult to find zones within the lens, feeling of wobbliness. The peripheral vision was not distorted. Had them checked and they were correctly made according to the new RX. The shop where I bought it was not helpful, so I went to another optician who said that 'the RX was changed too much' and this was the problem. When I went back to the OD's office that did the exam, they assured me the change in RX was slight but that the sunglasses (base curve 8) were the culprit and I should reorder with a flatter lens. Before I send them back to reorder, I would like to know what the problem is: the base curve of the lens OR the change in RX perhaps being incorrect! Thank you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am sorry, but we can not help with your question. It is best to find a local optical professional who can help with your situation.

Please review the posting guidelines:

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.
    Last edited by Fezz; 09-12-2013 at 06:09 AM.

Thread Information