Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why oh why optical industry???!!!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Why oh why optical industry???!!!

So I looked through the newest copy of Eyecare Business(I know I know, it's pretty much a big piece of advertising garbage). I noticed that the majority of the ads have the models weating CGI glasses instead of an actual pair. THIS LOOKS TERRIBLE! I started thinking about reasons these companies do this; maybe they want to try different styles on a single pic to save money, but then you need to pay the artist so you don't save any money. Maybe they feel their glasses don't photograph in a flattering way? What is the reason for this terrible crap???

Hope business is going well today.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaketull View Post
    So I looked through the newest copy of Eyecare Business(I know I know, it's pretty much a big piece of advertising garbage). I noticed that the majority of the ads have the models weating CGI glasses instead of an actual pair. THIS LOOKS TERRIBLE! I started thinking about reasons these companies do this; maybe they want to try different styles on a single pic to save money, but then you need to pay the artist so you don't save any money. Maybe they feel their glasses don't photograph in a flattering way? What is the reason for this terrible crap???

Hope business is going well today.
    Maybe the model conveys the image the editor is after and rather than having a photo shoot, they use a stock photo with a little photoshop. It's become acceptable to photoshop images and using stock images can save the mag money.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    Maybe the model conveys the image the editor is after and rather than having a photo shoot, they use a stock photo with a little photoshop. It's become acceptable to photoshop images and using stock images can save the mag money.
    You might be right, but an advertisement is sometimes your lone chance get somebody's attention, so why spoil that chance with a crap-tastic pic?

Occupation
    I haven't read a optical mag in years. Are they still devoid of meaningful content?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    I haven't read a optical mag in years. Are they still devoid of meaningful content?
    Oh god yes! All they do is advertise the same frame lines, and then they will have like a paragraph about how poly is great for children's eyewear or something. However, I did pcik up a few quality trade mags at the NY show.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At least one of them is fantastically informative!

In fact: http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2...dependence.asp
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 09-06-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    At least one of them is fantastically informative!
    I agree 110%.........and some of the contributing authors are not half bad either!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I agree 110%.........and some of the contributing authors are not half bad either!

I also agree....But.... Must they subject us readers with some of the hideous mug shots of certain authors?!?!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I won't mention any names (fezz) but I cut one of them out (fezz) and let my kid use it as a Halloween mask!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I won't mention any names (fezz) but I cut one of them out (fezz) and let my kid use it as a Halloween mask!
    Great minds must think alike!

I cut those same pictures out and sewed them onto the faces of the scarecrows in my garden!

Occupation
    I don't have access to any optical magazines so I have no idea which one you are referring to. However when I was getting these, they were noticeably devoid of any useful information. Hopefully things have changed.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't have access to any optical magazines so I have no idea which one you are referring to. However when I was getting these, they were noticeably devoid of any useful information. Hopefully things have changed.

They are talking about Eye Care Professionals mag, which has "The most interesting Man in the World " as an author. I didn't let anything slip, did I Fezz ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With sincerest apologies to the authors, and my good friend (editor) Jeff Smith...

I've read some of the articles and summed them up, so the rest of you don't have to bother:

Title: Optical Optimism
    Summary: Maybe they'll buy nosepads if I give them a free PD...

Title: Leadership in the Workplace
    Summary: Essilor is your new leader

Title: Dealing with 3rd Party Insurance
    Summary: Don't

Title: Opening an Optical Dispensary
    Summary: Turn the key to the right

Title: Office Security
    Summary: Turn the key to the left

Title: Increase Dispensary Sales
    Summary: Lower prices, raise commissions.

Title: Newest in Men's Eyewear
    Summary: Didn't even try to read it. Couldn't get past the title.

Title: Lab Maintenance
    Summary: When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly.

Title: Avoiding Slippage in the Lab
    Summary: Keep the floor dry.

Title: Dispensary Decor; Frame Boards
    Summary: They don't call them "Bored" for nothing. (BTW: It's 2013...why are there still frame boards????

Title: The Newest in Fall Fashions
    Summary: Ace bandages, crutches, and splints top the list.

Title: Marketing Strategies for Independents
    Summary: Advertise "Bag Day" -all you can fill into a burlap bag for $5.00, until your office is gutted. Then open a pizza shop.

Title: Online Dispensing
    Summary: What the hell
    o is online dispensing?? You can "dispense" online? Give me a freaking break!

Disclaimer:I may have missed some of the main points of the articles, so you may want to re-read them.

Last edited by Johns; 09-06-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm going to hazard a guess and say that you haven't read any of them. I for one, am not amused. CiaB.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 09-06-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Most graphics used in advertising are not actual photographs but rather illustrations. For example, if you look at a magazine add for a new car, particularly a 3/4 frontal view you may not that the angle betwee the side of the car and the front of the car is not 90 degrees but is 100 or 110 degrees. This is not noticable on casual examination but it does present a more attractive view of the car, showing more of both front and side. Simillarly, magazine and TV ads for food products do not use real food but rather illustrations or plastic models.

Now, with the era of PhotoShop anything is possible.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I'm going to hazard a guess and say that you haven't read any of them. I for one, am not amused. CiaB.
    #1.Actually, you guessed wrong. I did read many of them , and some were quite good. #2 I didn't post it for your amusement.

I posted this for those that might have had a rough day, especially those that own their own businesses, that have seen salespeople coming through their doors all week, with the speel, "Sell just one of these, and it will pay for the whole order!"

I posted it for those of us that become cynics by Friday, and like to blow off a little steam.

I posted it for those of us that don't take ourselves so serious that we can't chuckle at the mess our industry is in.

I posted this for those of us that sometimes wish we could just open our door to the public, so they can clean us out, so we can start something less stressful...like a pizza shop.

I posted this for independents that are trying to figure out whether to pay their rent,their frame, or their lab bill, and wondering if there will ever be a time when they'll be able to pay all three in the same month.

I posted this for those in the trenches, their sleeves rolled up, dealing with demanding people on medicaid, whose vision benefits are much better than they themselves ever hope to see.

I wrote this for the independents that are celebrating the fact that they managed to make payroll, even though they themselves didn't get a check.

I posted this so that maybe someone that's been stressing out about Eyemed might be able to smile at something. Judging from my PMs, many folks did. (I'm glad).

More specifically, I posted this for Fezz, Optical 24/7, and some of the other folks that I like to sit around and laugh at ourselves with. We've been doing it for years, and speaking for myself, if all 23,000+ members don't laugh along with us, I'm neither surprised, nor concerned.

http://exceptionaltransformations.co...-up-and-laugh/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well said Johns. Working in a major medical center for cancer treatment, I've had a lot of patients over the years going through chemo/radiation. I've seen the survivors and those that didn't. The one thing the survivors always have is their sense of humor. They can still laugh at themselves and life in general.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I enjoyed it, having been there and done all those things including letting the public clean out the shop- except instead of opening a pizza shop I went to work for the competitor now working for one of the big monsters of the industry. Kicking myself daily- would give everything to go back to the days of trying to decide who to pay. Considering becoming one of those pesky sales people, I will refrain from using the "sell just one" tactic if I get the job. Any other advice for some one new that might come through you door with frames to sell?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic20/20 View Post
    Considering becoming one of those pesky sales people, I will refrain from using the "sell just one" tactic if I get the job. Any other advice for some one new that might come through you door with frames to sell?
    Advice? Be genuine, be consistent, and don't, under any circumstances, carry a product that you don't truly believe will help your clients.

Coming from your background, you have a lot of empathy for those you'll be selling to. I worked the chains, then became a sales rep for one of the top three frame companies. I learned a TON, but admittedly, I think I sucked as a rep. I was always anticipating their objections, some of which were unfounded. My territory was tough, and I competed against some legend reps, most of whom have become very close friends of mine. In the end, I realized that the ECPs that were successful were those that were focused on their customers, and not their products.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Well said Johns. Working in a major medical center for cancer treatment, I've had a lot of patients over the years going through chemo/radiation. I've seen the survivors and those that didn't. The one thing the survivors always have is their sense of humor. They can still laugh at themselves and life in general.
    Thanks.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Many of the photo shopping jobs over stock images are very poor. Just walk around the next vision expo and look at some of the banners. There are occasions where there is no other choice but to use stock photos, especially for frame lines built around aging celebrities or celebrities where they could never afford to do a photo shoot. I am surprised more photography with the model actually wearing the frames are not used. While there is no substitute for a great photographer, a person talented in the use of photoshop can process average photos to look great.

Regarding Eyecare Business, it is a mixed bag. Some of the articles are well written. Others appear as though the editor asked someone to write on a topic in which they have no knowledge. This magazine is a good outlet for articles written by people that have “done it” as opposed to articles written by people “reporting on it”. Plus, the magazine published a legendary article on “eye shaving” that is a must read by all.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was amused and am sure Fezzy was as well.
    See you in Vegas.
    Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The photography and ad quality in "those" publications is hideous. I wonder if they are allowing the local elementary school magnet program for graphic arts to do their photography and lay-out. Some plain border on trashy.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    With sincerest apologies to the authors, and my good friend (editor) Jeff Smith...

I've read some of the articles and summed them up, so the rest of you don't have to bother:

Title: Optical Optimism
    Summary: Maybe they'll buy nosepads if I give them a free PD...

Title: Leadership in the Workplace
    Summary: Essilor is your new leader

Title: Dealing with 3rd Party Insurance
    Summary: Don't

Title: Opening an Optical Dispensary
    Summary: Turn the key to the right

Title: Office Security
    Summary: Turn the key to the left

Title: Increase Dispensary Sales
    Summary: Lower prices, raise commissions.

Title: Newest in Men's Eyewear
    Summary: Didn't even try to read it. Couldn't get past the title.

Title: Lab Maintenance
    Summary: When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly.

Title: Avoiding Slippage in the Lab
    Summary: Keep the floor dry.

Title: Dispensary Decor; Frame Boards
    Summary: They don't call them "Bored" for nothing. (BTW: It's 2013...why are there still frame boards????

Title: The Newest in Fall Fashions
    Summary: Ace bandages, crutches, and splints top the list.

Title: Marketing Strategies for Independents
    Summary: Advertise "Bag Day" -all you can fill into a burlap bag for $5.00, until your office is gutted. Then open a pizza shop.

Title: Online Dispensing
    Summary: What the hell
    o is online dispensing?? You can "dispense" online? Give me a freaking break!

Disclaimer:I may have missed some of the main points of the articles, so you may want to re-read them.

haha

Thread Information