Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I must really be a simpleton...

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Paying attention to what the Faux News "pundits" have to say is like saying the US bribed bin Laden to find 19 guys to fly airplanes into the Twin Towers and help blow them up with previously placed explosives.

Alex Jones, where are you?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Oh, and Piers Morgan was claiming it was an AR-15 shotgun that was used in the Navy Yard shooting. Most other news outlets were claiming it was an AR -15, but it was a plain old shotgun (like Joe Biden said to buy!) These guys don't know anything of which they speak, but they're speaking anyway. They aren't qualified to weigh in on the subject.
    IMHO any "rifle" used in any type of assault is going to qualify as a Assault Rifel...aka AR. (use what ever number you want now)
    Of course Assault Rifle sounds better then Assault Shotgun. Use a pistol now you can call it a AP. Assault pistol. Now that sounds awful. I can hear the media now calling it a AP-9 or a AP-22 or a AP-38. How much increase in the viewer ratings do you think there will be?

Point being made here is the media is going to call it what is common and what will drive ratings regardless of what was used or what really happened.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The AR in AR-15 stands for Armalite, the company that developed the design. Language is important and the definition of things don't change because the media want them to.
    Also, shotguns aren't rifles.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    It's an interesting thing, the news. They all lie, it's just a matter of what things they lie about. I try to get a dose of all the news channels to see what lies are being fed to the public on any given day. It's important to know this, because it makes it easier to counter the lies when you know exactly where they are coming from. A more informed public is less likely to be dragged into a BS war, and less likely to give up more of their rights. Thank you internet.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well here we are a few weeks later...and I think this fickle American has changed his mind a bit. Obama is right. Government leaders should not be using poison gas on its civilians...even if they happen to be in an area dominated by government insurgents. World opinion should bring forces to bear to stop this and punish those that did it.

So a seemingly bumbling John Kerry makes the ridiculous suggestion that Assad turn over his gas weapons. The Russians jump to attention and seize the opportunity to either avert an imminent American strike on one of their allies...or maybe they just want to make themselves look good...but really they look bad since they are the ones that gave Assad the means to use gas weapons in the first place. ...let them work their magic...

So now the UN goes in, and it looks more convincing that it was in fact the Syrian government that used the gas...but it really doesn't matter. If they manage to dismantle and destroy the weapons, everybody (almost) is happy and the regular civil war, without an American surgical strike, goes on. If the attempt fails, now world opinion will be more against the Assad regime, and a military strike would more likely be supported by the international community, because after all, Obama showed restraint and tried to get a diplomatic solution.

Brilliant...at least from the perspective of not risking American soldiers, and potentially our civilians, from future terrorist attacks for attacking yet another Muslim country.

Let's hope it works out. We should all be pulling for our President, even if at times it seems like he is weak or he doesn't know what he is doing. It ain't over til it's over.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    It's an interesting thing, the news. They all lie, it's just a matter of what things they lie about. I try to get a dose of all the news channels to see what lies are being fed to the public on any given day. It's important to know this, because it makes it easier to counter the lies when you know exactly where they are coming from. A more informed public is less likely to be dragged into a BS war, and less likely to give up more of their rights. Thank you internet.
    Hmmm...everything in the papers or on television is all lies???...but the internet is all truth??? Hmmm...I'm going to have to think about that one.

A bit of humor here if there can be...I read this in the news, so we can't be sure it is true...but Assad is an ophthalmologist, so the other two Os should watch who they align themselves with.

Occupation
    ... forget all that. I'm done posting here.
    Last edited by Wes; 09-19-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: nothing to see here anymore

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A bit of recent history on the use of chemical weapons that much of the Middle East knows about but is much less known by Americans-

When Iraqi was fighting a proxy border war* against Iran for America in the 80's (remember the picture of Saddam shaking hands with a smiling Rumsfeld and Cheney?) they used devastating rocket and artillery barrages to stop the attacking Iranian troops. To counter, the Iranians forced young boys to lead the attack which turned them into cannon fodder but the better trained troops that followed were able to advance on the Iraqi positions forcing them to retreat and lose ground.

To counter we reportedly supplied the Iraqis with sarin to stop the initial wave of kids allowing the artillery to concentrate on the better equipped and trained troops.

Of course we had fresh memories of the embassy takeover and the ensuing hostage crisis so the drive by media let it slide. (There was no Fox news then.) And much of the country really didn't care if Sunni slaughtered Shiite and vice-versa. Hmm maybe we still don't.

*I believe it was about a million Iraqis that died and this was why Saddam felt double crossed when he went to claim is war prize- Kuwait when the war ended in a stalemate. Enter Operation Desert Storm and a chance to get oil from Kuwait to Turkey and Europe by a pipeline...
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-19-2013 at 12:34 PM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    A bit of recent history on the use of chemical weapons that much of the Middle East knows about but is much less known by Americans-

When Iraqi was fighting a proxy border war* against Iran for America in the 80's (remember the picture of Saddam shaking hands with a smiling Rumsfeld and Cheney?) they used devastating rocket and artillery barrages to stop the attacking Iranian troops. To counter, the Iranians forced young boys to lead the attack which turned them into cannon fodder but the better trained troops that followed were able to advance on the Iraqi positions forcing them to retreat and lose ground.

To counter we reportedly supplied the Iraqis with sarin to stop the initial wave of kids allowing the artillery to concentrate on the better equipped and trained troops.
    Yeah, Saddam was our guy. But I don't believe we provided him with anything more than tactical intelligence, knowing that chemical weapons (produced by the Iraqis) were being used, and that that intelligence may have been used to coordinate chemical weapon attacks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_c...eapons_program

Of course we had fresh memories of the embassy takeover and the ensuing hostage crisis so the drive by media let it slide. (There was no Fox news then.) And much of the country really didn't care if Sunni slaughtered Shiite and vice-versa. Hmm maybe we still don't.
    We don't, as long as there is enough stability to keep oil and gas flowing to prevent a world depression, and/or the existence of friendly nations are not at risk.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Yea , like the time Saddam gassed and killed thousands of Kurds....the same gas that was moved into Syria after the UN said he had them. In 2006, former Iraqi general, Georges Sada, who served under Saddam wrote a comprehensive book detailing how the Iraqi Revolutionary Guard moved weapons of mass destruction into Syria, before the US-led action to eliminate Saddam Hussein’s WMD threat, by loading the weapons into civilian aircraft in which the passenger seats were removed
    Remember all those pictures of Obama bowing down to the Saudi Prince and the Chinese Premier?
    Really Fester, the US supplied Iraq with Sarin gas? Prove it
    You have Fox News derrangment syndrome? lol
    *I believe it was about a million Iraqis that died and this was why Saddam felt double crossed when he went to claim is war prize- Kuwait when the war ended in a stalemate. Enter Operation Desert Storm and a chance to get oil from Kuwait to Turkey and Europe by a pipeline...
    You guys crack me up...in the first Gulf war Bush #1 had the UN on his side giving resolutions and a 34Country coalition. The second gulf war Bush #2 had the UN on his side and a 36 country coalition....What kind of Coalition has Obama got? I thought he was gonna be the great foreign policy President?
    Last edited by MasterCrafter; 09-19-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCrafter View Post
    What kind of Coalition has Obama got? I thought he was gonna be the great foreign policy President?
    He has Iran and Russia doing what GW would be doing with American money and blood.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    He has Iran and Russia doing what GW would be doing with American money and blood.
    He was embarrassed by Putin. It was amateur hour on full display. He should have never drawn a red line to begin with. This is a man who will want to talk to terrorist state leaders but refuses to talk to the GOP.

Occupation
    I would be embarrassed to quote Donald trump's "Embarrassed by Putin"

I'm still hoping you'll enlighten us with a thought instead of a quote.

Occupation
    I would be embarrassed to quote Donald trump's "Embarrassed by Putin"

I'm still hoping you'll enlighten us with a thought instead of a quote.
    WoW

Im glad your keeping track of Donald Trump quotes because Im not!!

Braheem, do you have a book of quotes you write down or do you remember all those Trump quotes?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    He was embarrassed by Putin. It was amateur hour on full display. He should have never drawn a red line to begin with. This is a man who will want to talk to terrorist state leaders but refuses to talk to the GOP.
    Diplomacy looks confusing and hard to read in a 24 hour news cycle; there's so much we don't know that's going on behind-the-scenes. IMO Putin has the most to lose here, and whether that was smart maneuvering by advice from the President's advisors or dumb luck will be clearer in the weeks, months, and years to come.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    WoW

Im glad your keeping track of Donald Trump quotes because Im not!!

Braheem, do you have a book of quotes you write down or do you remember all those Trump quotes?
    I honestly had no idea what you meant by "embarrassed by Putin" so I googled it and got nothing but pages of Trump talking about himself and fox-news repeating it like a parrot, the rest of the world didn't notice or care.

If you know me, you would know I enjoy learning; I especially believe meaningful debating is a fast track process of learning an issue.

If you know me, you would know that when someone stumps me on an issue you'll see a huge smile on my face because I enjoy learning something new even if I was wrong.

I enjoy talking more with people who disagree with me then people who agree, Recycled rhetoric is not a conversation.

Occupation
    I honestly had no idea what you meant by "embarrassed by Putin" so I googled it and got nothing but pages of Trump talking about himself and fox-news repeating it like a parrot, the rest of the world didn't notice or care.
    If you think the rest of the world "didnt notice or care" you are either being dishonest or are naive

If you know me, you would know I enjoy learning; I especially believe meaningful debating is a fast track process of learning an issue.

If you know me, you would know that when someone stumps me on an issue you'll see a huge smile on my face because I enjoy learning something new even if I was wrong.
    The thing is I do not know you. But it seems you want the other person your debating to say what YOU want

I enjoy talking more with people who disagree with me then people who agree, Recycled rhetoric is not a conversation.
    Everytime you post about political issues it's the same talking points the left uses. It's this same constant drone you hear on CNN,MSNBC,ABC,CBS, NY Times, Just like every other lefty on here you bring up Fox News. What is it with Fox News that gets you guys all hot and bothered? The "right " cant have one so called outlet? Name one other news agency that is fair to the Right. Thats where the "Fair and Balanced" in Fox News slogan comes from..... Fair to the right!! Since every other news agency are obviously to the left.

Occupation
    If you think the rest of the world "didn't notice or care" you are either being dishonest or are naive
    I based my interpretation on 2 pages Google results, no one cares!

Everytime you post about political issues it's the same talking points the left uses. It's this same constant drone you hear on CNN,MSNBC,ABC,CBS, NY Times, Just like every other lefty on here you bring up Fox News. What is it with Fox News that gets you guys all hot and bothered? The "right " cant have one so called outlet? Name one other news agency that is fair to the Right. Thats where the "Fair and Balanced" in Fox News slogan comes from..... Fair to the right!! Since every other news agency are obviously to the left.
    Please convince me to agree with facts not fear or accusations.

I killed the Fox's corn fairy-tale and you accused me of quoting a lefty blog instead of appreciating my original idea.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Precisely.

+1

Occupation
    I based my interpretation on 2 pages Google results, no one cares!
    You must not understand foriegn policy... Other nations see Obama's weakness...do you really think Iran fears Obama or the UN? I bet they dont, they will keep building thier nukes because they know how to play him. The carrot and stick method Obama always talks about does not work.

I killed the Fox's corn fairy-tale and you accused me of quoting a lefty blog instead of appreciating my original idea.
    All news outlets have corny fairy tale storys. But I guess there is nothing to see with the Benghazi story, IRS scandal, fast and furious, those are all Fox News / vast right wing conspiracy fairy tales. But ask Brian Terry's family and the over 300 Mexican people who were slaughtered by those guns he gave to the drug cartels...and the 4 Americans killed in Benghazi and thier familys...i bet they have a different feeling... Just like the Democrats walking out on the familys of the Benghazi victims right before thier testimonys. Its like spitting on the victims graves...how insulting

I enjoy talking more with people who disagree with me then people who agree,
    I will finally agree with you on a partial sentence you had , i made a slight correction to reflect that part... I to feel a good debate needs opposite points of view. But it's hard to debate somebody who always throws out the "recycled rhetoric" argument... in a way everything we all say has at one time been said before.
    Last edited by MasterCrafter; 09-21-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: adding content :D

Occupation
    You must not understand foriegn policy... Other nations see Obama's weakness...do you really think Iran fears Obama or the UN? I bet they dont, they will keep building thier nukes because they know how to play him. The carrot and stick method Obama always talks about does not work.
    Iran is not scared because they're too big to bomb and too smart to push around.

Iran's weakness is a glamorous outside world craved for by their younger and more liberal population. (PS, liberal is not a bad word in this context you may like them folks)

The only way to facilitate change in Iran is for us not to be the common enemy that bonds them together, as shown by their recent elections.

Keep in mind, Iran elects crazies because in 1953 their democratically elected president was overthrown by the west to install a puppet organized through the U.S. embassy in Tehran. (Ever wonder why they took U.S. hostages in 1980 when they overthrew the puppet again?)

Lifting of some sanctions to allow the innocent people to prosper which will in turn bring more level headed people into office.

Occupation
    Iran is not scared because they're too big to bomb and too smart to push around.

Iran's weakness is a glamorous outside world craved for by their younger and more liberal population. (PS, liberal is not a bad word in this context you may like them folks)
    Yea, but the radicals there will never be overthrown. They will never let that happen again

The only way to facilitate change in Iran is for us not to be the common enemy that bonds them together, as shown by their recent elections.
    Hassad Rouhni is no moderate. He is just a puppet for Khamenei, once again the Ayatollah has gained himself more time to develop nukes playing the world leaders like a fiddle. Are you one of those people that actually believe that anyone but the Ayatollah is calling the shots?

Keep in mind, Iran elects crazies because in 1953 their democratically elected president was overthrown by the west to install a puppet organized through the U.S. embassy in Tehran. (Ever wonder why they took U.S. hostages in 1980 when they overthrew the puppet again?)
    Once again you blame the US. There is alot more to it then blaming the US.. World War 2, the Nazi's attacking Russia, alot more to it. Thats always the easy out, blaming the US for all the worlds ills....I do not agree with alot of what FDR did, I believe if it weren't for the US, this world would be speakin German right now. Sprechen sie Deustch?

Lifting of some sanctions to allow the innocent people to prosper which will in turn bring more level headed people into office.
    Carrot and stick method huh? The only thing that part of the world understands loud and clear is brute force............

Oh and using the Carrot and stick term I admit to recycling that from Obama
    Last edited by MasterCrafter; 09-22-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Once again you blame the US. There is alot more to it then blaming the US.. World War 2, the Nazi's attacking Russia, alot more to it.
    Oh Baloney.

Please provide sources for your claims that it was World War II and the Nazi's attacking Russia that lead to the overthrow. What history books do you read? The fake history books used to teach children in Texas?

Fact: The US was a major player in the overthow of the democratically elected president in Iran to be replaced with a despotic, corrupt, and tyrannical monarch. Who, in many ways, was worse for the people of Iran than the current mob that is running things there now.

But, if history is your thing, lets go back even further and blame the Brits for the overthow of the Ottoman Empire.

Or the various Popes for the Crusades.

Or, heck, the Jews who killed Jesus.

Occupation
    The only thing that part of the world understands loud and clear is brute force............
    You base that on the history or blind faith?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    The fake history books used to teach children in Texas?
    Mike, being from Texas I resent that comment. I'll have you know those were real books!

Now, back to partisan bickering on how bad Obama is....

Thread Information