Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I must really be a simpleton...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCrafter View Post
    It's George W. Bush's fault !!
    The part where George Bush Sr sold the chemical weapons to Saddam or the part where Saddam hid them from George Bush jr. by moving the into Syria before the Iraq invasion?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Over my head too, but the correct answer is F, none of the above. Sabre rattling is cheap and effective. All the rats are running straight to their own holes.

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    The part where George Bush Sr sold the chemical weapons to Saddam or the part where Saddam hid them from George Bush jr. by moving the into Syria before the Iraq invasion?

Everything and all of the above.

If there is something wrong in the world.... i bet a Bush was involved....hurricanes, earthquakes, people starving in Africa, ect, ect.

He is even to blame for all of Obama's great foreign policy failures.

When Hillary is President.... all of her failures are going to be Bush's fault as well

Dam Busheys

Occupation
    The U.S. does not get a reset button every 4 years.

The U.S. electorate seems to have the shortest term memory when it comes to politics out of any developed country.

The Syrian issue is not as simple as gassing innocent, there's been a power struggle since 1953 with operation Ajax and it's support by Eisenhower.

The issue was again brought up in 1979 when khomeini came into power.

Since 1979 the U.S. has allied itself with the enemies of Iran including Saddam Hussein and Saudi Arabia that does not allow women to drive or even travel without a male chaperon.

To counter the balance of power the Middle east has almost perfectly divided itself into 2 powers supporters of the predominantly shiite Iran and Sunni countries.

Iran has the backing of Syria and Lebanon. Because of the U.S. embargo Iran's ties China and Russia for natural gas and oil has been even stronger.

Bush may not be the devil but he is a part of the process that has escalated this into the reaction it is today.

Occupation
    Bush may not be the devil but he is a part of the process that has escalated this into the reaction it is today.
    I know, it has nothing to do with radical terrorist's and the regimes that support them. It is all the US fault.

With the exception of Jimmy Carter - he was great

Bill Clinton - he was so awesome, if only he could have stayed forever

Then Obama, he projects such strength.... the middle east fears him, he has such an awesome foreign policy

Occupation
    I know, it has nothing to do with radical terrorist's and the regimes that support them.
    ... and the regimes that support them, Which ones?

Saddam?

Taliban?

Saudi Arabia? (Saud Family)

in case you don't realize Saudi Arabia is borderline an apartheid state, but their family gets to fly on 9-11 when the rest of our country was devastated by the work of their countrymen.

Those are the 3 groups that oppress more then any other in the "middle east".

Ask yourself who supported these regimes when they were repressing their people.

Try not to reply with sarcasm, name calling or fox news rhetoric this is not a Liberal vs. Conservative issue.

Occupation
    It seems pretty obvious that Braheem knows what he's talking about regarding the Middle East. The only thing he left out is Israel and their American lobbies' role in the issue.
    I'm not sure what his position is regarding the gassing, but I think it's not Assad, but the mercenaries (oops, I mean rebels).
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    ... and the regimes that support them, Which ones?

Saddam?

Taliban?

Saudi Arabia? (Saud Family)

in case you don't realize Saudi Arabia is borderline an apartheid state, but their family gets to fly on 9-11 when the rest of our country was devastated by the work of their countrymen.
    Exactly!!

So what does Obama do in January?

He lifts restrictions on the Saudi's getting visa's coming into this country. He fast tracks them giving them "trusted" status.

But I do not blame him...it's Bush's fault!! He made him do it

Occupation
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Exactly!!

So what does Obama do in January?

He lifts restrictions on the Saudi's getting visa's coming into this country. He fast tracks them giving them "trusted" status.

But I do not blame him...it's Bush's fault!! He made him do it
    You can't help yourself, there's no debate in you if it's not the left's fault

He did force Obama to do it by not investing in alternative energy.

What do you expect from an oil man and his father? 20 years total between presidency and VP between the 2 of them you would think they could have improved the U.S. addiction to foreign oil. instead they decided to cultivate their crack addiction by sleeping with the dealers to get a free hit now and then.

Occupation
    This has gone way off course. Please stick to the original post and stop the bickering. It's clear that no one is going to change anyone's mind so what's the point of arguing and belittling each other?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Put the Genie back in the bottle...

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I don't know why I can't understand this, but here's the way I see it:

A bunch ( a very large number) of people, mainly women and children, are gassed/killed in a faraway country that's in the middle of a civil war. There is no absolute proof as to who actually did the killing.

So, the response is for another faraway country (the US) to punish the perpetrators (even though they don't know who they are), by bombing the country in which the original bunch of people were killed.

This will

A. Kill more people ?
    B. Cost the US a lot more money?
    C. Upset a lot more people?
    D. Involve the US in another useless war?
    E. All of the above.

I just don't get it. I come up with the answer "E". And if they were going to do it, which I wish they wouldn't, why are they waiting so long, and telling the world what they are going to do?

This must really be some complex stuff, because it's way over my head...
    Iran and Sauidi Arabia hold the keys.

I'm looking forward to Iran's new leader Rowhani (a western educated lawyer) and his chief of staff (a GWU PhD in economics) dragging the countries ruling theocracy to the negotiating table to rewrite the playbook of the Levants recent politics.

I fear the Saudi's are more than willing to export their countries malcontents to fight in other countries but will they come to see the business benefit$ to peace?

Where's Suleiman the Magnificent when you need him- or is that a wish even a Genie can't grant?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    This has gone way off course. Please stick to the original post and stop the bickering. It's clear that no one is going to change anyone's mind so what's the point of arguing and belittling each other?
    Stop bickering?

If we all thought the same thing...what point would a forum be here for?

Now I could see if we were in one of the optical threads...but in the just conversation thread we should have a little more leeway to "bicker"

And Braheem, we have enough oil here in the US, we do not need anyone elses oil, but you see everything from the left so you cant see that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    And Braheem, we have enough oil here in the US, we do not need anyone elses oil, but you see everything from the left so you cant see that.
    So why do we keep buying oil from the middle east?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Because they keep buying planes and weapons from us?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Because there is such hostility towards "big oil" coming from the left in this country....they try and block everything to do with gasoline. If we used our oil here, we wouldnt have to import...we could actually export alot too.

Then in 10, 20 years or so when we can actually have a viable alternative we could stop using it. Because of this resistance we see huge inflation of food and just about everything else.

Ethanol is driving up the cost of beef, chicken, ect and causing under developed nations people to starve

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gas will never drop below $3.00 a gallon again.

It's a commodity and will be sold to the highest bidder which means places like China and India are going to keep the price of a barrel north of a hundred bucks from now on. Or are you suggesting we nationalize our oil indus... never-mind.

Believe it or not our food is relatively cheap with Big Agri getting a lot of taxpayer welfare and putting small farmers into bankruptcy.

Occupation
    Stop bickering?

If we all thought the same thing...what point would a forum be here for?

Now I could see if we were in one of the optical threads...but in the just conversation thread we should have a little more leeway to "bicker"

Yes, bickering.

Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 2.44.05 PM.jpg

The point is are you able to have a respectful conversation with someone you disagree with or not? All I'm doing is reminding people to be respectful. I have no desire or need to apologize for that.

If you want to insult and rant and rage at people you disagree with, then there are certainly many places where that can be done. OptiBoard, however, is not one of them.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Gas will never drop below $3.00 a gallon again.
    I paid $2.96 in Montana (yes, at a gas station) last week. Granted, it was probably a higher ethanol content, but it was below three. I paid around $3.21 going through most of Iowa, and this morning, I paid $3.19 at the Flying J (my favorite stop) I paid $3.19. I think it will definitely go below $3.00, and probably stay there for awhile. Ohio saw sub $3.00 gas a few times in late 2012.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Actually, let's blame Henry Ford and his refusal to consider anything other than gasoline for his vehicles. And Detroit for not coming out with a working diesel engine for automobiles and the electric industry for not solving the automobile battery problem.

Then again, if oil had never been discovered in the first place, we'd have nothing to worry about.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Actually, let's blame Henry Ford and his refusal to consider anything other than gasoline for his vehicles.
    Yeah, old Hank really dropped the ball by not buying into the hydrogen craze. He passed on rubber band power as well...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Regardless of what we are burning to propel us along... my point to this thread is that it's ridiculous the US (gov't) feels the need to punish other countries by doing exactly to them what we are punishing them for doing.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    My thoughts:

When we consider getting the military involved, one of the questions I ask myself is would I send one of my sons off to fight in this war? No way. Would Syria send their sons to the US to die to save me?

The regional hatred in this region goes back centuries. We are not going to change it. This kind of change has to come from within.

Over the past two decades, tens of thousands of people have been slaughtered in Africa and nobody cares since it is not on the news and we do not import oil from eastern Africa.

Citizens in the US who think we should be the world's policeman need a history lesson. Historically, the US stayed out of other countries troubles and this strategy served us well. We entered WW1 when the war was 80% over. We entered WW2 only after we were attacked. At this point, Hitler had conquered US allies including France and dominated mainland Europe. We sat by and watched. Since WW2, we have tried to be the world's policeman, the results have not been ideal. Think Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan.

We may have won the war in Iraq, but this "country" is headed for a civil war. Afghanistan will fall into full chaos and revert to the stone age when we leave. We know absolutely nothing about nation building in the middle east.

That's my rant.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I paid $2.96 in Montana (yes, at a gas station) last week. Granted, it was probably a higher ethanol content, but it was below three. I paid around $3.21 going through most of Iowa, and this morning, I paid $3.19 at the Flying J (my favorite stop) I paid $3.19. I think it will definitely go below $3.00, and probably stay there for awhile. Ohio saw sub $3.00 gas a few times in late 2012.
    You may be right and I hope you are, but I doubt it will fall much below $3.00. My understanding is the oil coming out of the ground now has higher lifting costs, greater transportation costs (until pipelines are built in the central US and Canada) and is more costly to refine. But I still say we need to drill and quit exporting our cash to the middle east and keep it here or in Canada.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Tabor View Post
    The regional hatred in this region goes back centuries. We are not going to change it. This kind of change has to come from within.
    The regional division in the middle east has been in the past century with the fall of the Ottoman empire brought on by WWI which divided the Ottoman empire between the Arabs (sided with England and the allies to earn their freedom from the Turks) and the Ottoman empire (Turkey, which sided with Germany).

Unfortunately when England was done winning the war, they decided they did not owe the Arabs a place on the table to decided how the land would be divided which has caused instability in the region since.

Divide and conquer was perfected in the middle east.

Thread Information