Thread: Anyone have old Silhouette OMA files (specifically shape 6545)?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Anyone have old Silhouette OMA files (specifically shape 6545)?

Anyone have a collection of old OMA files from Silhouette that include legacy shapes? I need shape 6545 (eyesize 53, though I can make any work). No longer on silhouettelab.com and Silhouette has no patterns. If anyone happens to have a file of this and can email it to me that would be awesome! Of course I can just have my lab drill it, but it's worth a bit of legwork to try to do it myself. Alternatively, if not a Silhouette OMA, maybe someone has a Santinelli compatible PTN file they made themselves? Either works for me. Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Anyone have a collection of old OMA files from Silhouette that include legacy shapes? I need shape 6545 (eyesize 53, though I can make any work). No longer on silhouettelab.com and Silhouette has no patterns. If anyone happens to have a file of this and can email it to me that would be awesome! Of course I can just have my lab drill it, but it's worth a bit of legwork to try to do it myself. Alternatively, if not a Silhouette OMA, maybe someone has a Santinelli compatible PTN file they made themselves? Either works for me. Thanks!
    i'll look tomorrow. No doubt I have the pattern.

B

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have the tracing for the 6545 in the 51 eye. PM me your address, and I will send it to you.

James

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have a trace file for that shape from a NOP 4T if that's what you are looking for
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This will be a multi part post your patience will result in the trace you need.

Creating a Tracing from Thin Air.

1. Google search for a image of the frame shape you need. Important to get an image of the frame front perpendicular to the frame, see image below.
    2. Print image out larger than the actual lens size. Image will be reduced in size using software and any anomalies when cutting out the lens shape will be corrected by scaling down.
    3. Cut out lens shape. Use your best kindergarten skills here.
    4. Block up the cutout like you would a pattern.
    5. Trace the cutout and send it to your lab management software. Your choices will vary I have used innovations in the past which will allow shape modification, essibox has this function as well (used in images), and national optronics has the trace editor (which can simplify the process with their scan tool, tangent but can be discussed if interested later).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails block up shape.jpg   cut out shape.jpg   google search result.jpg   print larger image.png   send trace to software.jpg  

Last edited by MakeOptics; 09-05-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting they have the drill chart for it, but not the OMA file. Did you call silhouette to see if they have an archive they could email you?

Occupation
    6. Scale the image down to the A and B dimension that the lens specifies using a homeopathic function.
    7. Clean up your cutout tracing in your software if it allows. IN this step I took a few jagged edges off which came from cutting with scissors.
    8. Use software to find the scale factor in this case the image had a B dimension of 75px and real life B dimension of 33mm.
    9. Find the temporal height of the drill holes, and convert to mm. 45px, 75 * x = 33 * 45, 20mm or 3.5up
    10. Find the nasal height of drill holes, and convert to mm. 52px, 75 * x = 33 * 52, 23mm or 6.5up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clean up of my cutting.jpg   find nasal drill height.jpg   find scal factor.jpg   find temporal drill height.jpg   tracing scaled.jpg  

Occupation
    11. Set your drill holes, silhouettes have the drill holes 2mm from the edge and 3mm apart which I have set the holes are round and 1.4mm wide.

Attached int he zip file is the trace which includes drill coordinates, it's using the newest OMA file verison which might cause you issues, if it doesn't work download and use the zip file marked 2. Enjoy, I hope you learned something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails set drill points.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Occupation
    National Optronics has a drill editor program that allows hook up to a scanner and will accept a scanned image and convert it to a tracing which can further be modified int he software. I have tried to crack their software for a little time now but don't have the time quite frankly with other projects in my lap, it may be worth purchasing if I did not despise E.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post
    Interesting they have the drill chart for it, but not the OMA file. Did you call silhouette to see if they have an archive they could email you?
    Yes I have the drill chart, and I did call they keep no record of "legacy" shapes. This isn't a tough situation, I can trace the customer's own existing shape fine and use the drill coordinates. I just don't have the customer's frame here to trace and through if someone did have the file it's a simple email attachment, plug it in, and edge! I can make custom shapes if need be, but it's harder to exactly duplicate and existing shape with MakeOptics' method with enough accuracy to maintain the precision of digital measurements for a freeform progressive.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It didn't occur to me to post it to the thread... Thanks Make for the idea. Here is the tracing from our database for the 6545. You just need to add the drill points.

James

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Yes I have the drill chart, and I did call they keep no record of "legacy" shapes. This isn't a tough situation, I can trace the customer's own existing shape fine and use the drill coordinates. I just don't have the customer's frame here to trace and through if someone did have the file it's a simple email attachment, plug it in, and edge! I can make custom shapes if need be, but it's harder to exactly duplicate and existing shape with MakeOptics' method with enough accuracy to maintain the precision of digital measurements for a freeform progressive.
    You would be amazed how accurately you can get with this method, I have traced and replaced one lens with this method with success. It is a shame they don't keep older shapes, as far as I know they don't have an expiration date.

Thread Information