Thread: ABO-NCLE searchable database

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

ABO-NCLE searchable database

So the ABO-NCLE now has a searchable database for their certificants. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed by some of the things I found, and some of the things I didn't. http://www.abo-ncle.org/ABO/Consumer...8-d6159921f8b6
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What is the disappointment? What should it show? I'm thinking it should show more, but am not sure what.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    As an example, my supervisor currently claims to be certified, yet has been inactive for 6 years. There are many others claiming certification statuses they no longer hold, or worse, never had. Hence, the disappointment.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is suggested that once you pass the ABO at any level you remain certified forever. Perhaps a name should be removed from the list if re-certification through CE is not officially maintained.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Wes, I understand your disappointment as well. Unfortunately, some feel that once they have passed, they don't need to maintain education. And that is what I call it. Continuing education is supposed to be continuing. Many people only attend courses or take courses to get the piece of blue paper or goldenrod paper, not for the knowledge that it may produce.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've always believed that in those states who use the ABO/NCLE as a part of their licensing procedure, the licensee should be required to maintain an active ABO/NCLE certificate. It seems to me that there is a benefit to all concerned, i.e. consumers, licensees and the ABO-NCLE.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Cantu View Post
    I've always believed that in those states who use the ABO/NCLE as a part of their licensing procedure, the licensee should be required to maintain an active ABO/NCLE certificate. It seems to me that there is a benefit to all concerned, i.e. consumers, licensees and the ABO-NCLE.
    Here in Florida that is not hard to do as long as you are Florida licensed AND Florida Certified. You can use your Florida License/Certification to renew ABO and NCLE. I have been doing it that way ever since I sat for the first Florida Board Certification Exam which was given maybe not much more then a year after I sat for the Florida license Exam.
    When I worked with big box stores they would only reimburse for the state license but when in private the office would cover the state license and ABO/NCLE certification the cost of the ed hrs the room, meals, gas, and travel time.
    With all that being given to me why would I NOT keep up ABO/NCLE certification?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    As an example, my supervisor currently claims to be certified, yet has been inactive for 6 years.
    Two things: 1) I think it's a sure bet you won't be seeing a little something extra in your pay envelope this month. 2) Ask Steve if the searchable database link can be inserted as a sticky in the appropriate forum, making it easier for consumers to find and use.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    That was a sure bet regardless. However, as he's retiring next month and I'm looking to move onto other things, it's also irrelevant. Still, I'm not the one who was passing myself off as something I wasn't.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Still, I'm not the one who was passing myself off as something I wasn't.
    I thought the fact that he WAS is the problem.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS DATABASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! just had some chick walk in off the street looking for a job, i told her she had to be ABO certified, she said she was and gave me some story. i asked her to step around the desk to my computer. i pulled up the site, punched in her name and everything, and VIOLA! she is not nor has been certified. i asked her again if she was SURE she was ABO certified. she turned around and left, her app went into the trash.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    The results don't show who has been certified, it only reflects who maintained the certification.

In my state, the requirements to maintain the license are a more stringent that what ABO requires, however, if you don't send ABO the renewal fee, you are not considered to be certified. You are still licensed by the state, just not recognized by ABO.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, I didn't realize that you had to leave the state on "any".

Thread Information