Thread: About to take the NCSORB...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave About to take the NCSORB...

Hey gang,

I finally finished opticianry school and I am getting ready to take my NCSORB for the first time on Friday. I'm really happy the journey is almost over, but I'm getting nervous!

Anyone out there take the test recently? Anyone have an tips or any vital advice to "dispense" to me? (haha....)

THANKS!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FWIW, I recently took and passed the TN version of the NCSORB exam. It was a pale cry for an opticianry test. Granted TN is a state that does not allow for contact fitting by opticians, so that portion of the test I can not comment on. Multiple choice was by far a dumbed down version of the ABO test I took late last year (the new computerized version, so difficulty of it varies by user). The glasses "fitting/checking" portion is also a gross under-interpretation of what/how things are done. The number of problems I found with the test would take the rest of the day to go through, so I'll leave it at the simple points. Play with the tutorial, and understand how it works, the test was identical for me. Once you conquer the computer the test itself is easy and difficult. What I mean by that is, the test is easy in it's format. It is difficult because in preparing for what they ask on the fitting portion their are multiple standards available that do not fall within the parameters of the test. It would be terribly easy to over-think it and fail yourself at the same time. NO patient information is given, NO use of lenses requested, just a face a frame, and a general type of lens.. to that - Bi-focal, Tri-focal, PROGRESSIVE (No idea what kind but I assumed a standard PAL, no specialty stuff).

The Pupilometer portion of the test uses a standard ONLY attainable in the digital realm with no device deviation, but it also has an issue with the rounding for how it measures PD.. watch that VERY carefully as the tolerance for the test here is extremely low. Also surprising to me, you can not flip the glasses around to check the Bi-focal add, nor can you check .12 diopter measurements, but you'll be hard pressed to fail the "reading the glasses" portion of the test :)

One random last point... know a few old rarely used factoids as well. Ptosis crutch comes to mind ;)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for your insight!

I did take the "tutorial" test and I was surprised not only with it's ease but also the realism of the devices. Unfortunately you can't "input" your answers to verify if you're doing it right, but it did help me feel better about the test in general.

I was feeling anxious about the multiple choice. I did take and pass both the ABO and NCLE with high marks so I figured those questions can't be anything worse than what I've already been exposed to.

Thanks for taking time to answer!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    SOOOOOO!!!! How did the test go?!
    I just sent in my registration form yesterday so hopefully I will be taking it soon! I'm VERY nervous!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The test was interesting to say the least. The tutorials were exactly what ended up in the test, but I was pretty shocked how long and involved the contact lens portion was. I got instant feedback that I passed the multiple choice, but now I have to wait for results on the simulators!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    That's the main thing I'm worried about is the contact lens portion...being that I do not fit contacts, I just have basic knowledge....yikes!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Heavenly Muse, I'm in North FL, also studying for the NCSORB. What were your study materials? I'm trying to obtain whatever I can to be able to pass.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey rrod,

Firstly, I wish you luck. As far as studying materials, according to the NCSORB site they reccommend studying from the Brooks and Borish Systems of Ophthalmic Dispensing book (the chapters on PD and seg heights) and the Contact Lens Manual from the CLSA, Chapters 2,4,5,6 I believe.

If you log into NCSORB site where you take the tutorials there's a link on study materials and a checklist of what's required.

Also, don't forget about your ABO and NCLE study materials, those will come in handy, too.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone have a copy of - Contact Lens Manual: A Comprehensive Study and Reference Guide, Vol. 1 - that they may want to sell? Amazon is currently out of stock.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am about to take the fl ncsorb test. I'm annoyed because I have already had my florida license twice now and let it go twice and they are making me take this new test. I am a nervous wreck about it. We don't do Contacts in NJ. Can someone give me some tips on what the heck to study for this test.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I haven't taken new version of the NCSORB, but have spoken to many who have. Basically, they say the eyeglasses portion (multiple choice and skills assessment) is fairly straight forward and not that difficult. The contact lens portion is a different story. If you don't know how to use a slit lamp and know the basics of contact lens fitting, you will not pass. I recommend that you shadow an OD, MD or a Contact Lens Technician and actually learn how to use a slit lamp before attempting to take the exam. You should shadow them and observe/participate in at least 10-20 patient fittings in order to understand what you're being tested on. You may also want to review the same material you studied to pass the NCLE to brush up on the theory behind contact lenses and fitting. In Florida, we are trying to raise the bar for Opticians and that is why these skills are now included in the state board exam. And our practice act is one of the few in the US that allows Opticians to fill, fit, adapt or dispense contact lenses. Our next step will be to require every new Optician to take college courses in Opticianry and decrease the "apprenticeship" route to licensure. My advice, don't ever let your state license(s) lapse, even if you move or don't practice in that state anymore. Good luck!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is great that florida wants to raise the bar for Opticians. It would, however, be nice that the salary would compensate for the new skills needed. I was disappointed last time I worked in Fl. that my pay was $10 an hour less then what I made in NJ. I pray that that has changed in the last 6 years.

As for the new test, I am hard pressed to find any sources that tell me what to study. Am I needing to know any formulas (ie: sag, prism,etc)? And how deep do I need to study for Cl's? Do I have to know about soft AND Rgp fitting or how to modify cl's? I am really disappointed with what little review info is out there for this test

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nasticsmom,

Unfortunately (or fortunately??) , the different state Boards of Opticianry do not regulate pay/salaries in any state for a profession, so salary can vary greatly, even within the same state. In my opinion, the acquisition of a new skill should mean an increase in salary if that skill is a requirement of the job or could be of benefit to the practice/company in some way. For example, if you work for a practice/company where all you do is order, adjust and dispense glasses, then the skill of contact lens fitting will not be a big benefit based on that job, therefore, I wouldn't expect your employer to pay more for something they're not asking you to know or do. The pay/salary for Opticians in FL does vary, but it is generally between $20-$30 an hour, which is pretty good for a health care profession that does not require a college degree and the cost of living here. I guess it would depend on what type of Optician position you are seeking as to whether or not they will offer you more pay. Most retail chains will offer you more money up front than a private practice, but in retail you're expected to work nights, weekends, holidays, etc.

As far as the new test, since this is a "new test" that has been implemented, there really aren't any all inclusive review courses or study guides available yet. I think that POF is working on a workshop/course to help prepare those taking the state board exam, but not sure when it might be ready. I suggest calling POF at (850) 201-2622 and ask them for more information. From what I've been told, the new test is divided into 2 major parts: Eyeglasses and Contact Lenses. Each one of those parts has two sub-sections. For eyeglasses, there is a multiple choice portion (dealing with transposing an Rx, basic adjustments, and properties of plus and minus lenses) and a skills assessment portion, which is where you have to use the virtual lensometer, pupillometer, etc. For contact lenses, there is a multiple choice portion and a skills assessment portion, which is where you have to use the virtual keratometer and slit lamp to evaluate a contact lens fit and corneal pathology (corneal edema, corneal ulcer, etc). The contact lens portion is what everybody's having problems with. Some of it is NCSORB's (administrator of the exam) fault for not explaining how to use the virtual simulators and some of it is Opticianry's fault as a whole for not requiring formal education/training on how to use the slit lamp, keratometer, etc. I guess the good news is if you do fail any of the individual sub-sections, you can retake just that one sub-section without having to repeat the entire exam but you still have to pay again, of course, and wait 30 days between retakes I believe. This new state board exam is also A LOT cheaper than previously and can be taken anywhere in the US at a testing center and at almost any time, not just in Tallahassee twice a year like before. Having spoken to those that have taken the new state board exam, they have told me that the eyglasses portion is not very complicated since it's more related to what most Dispensing Opticians do on a daily basis. They did or recommend doing the following to study/prepare for the contact lens portion:

1. Buy CLSA Photo Atlas II CD-ROM - available from Contact Lens Society of America and other groups like POF.org
    2. Review CL complications, corneal effects/defects and possible pathology of CL wear
    3. Know basic operational procedures on how to use manual keratometer (measure corneal curvature) and slit lamp (which illumination is better for viewing a CL fit and patholgy)
    4. Shadow an OD, MD (that specializes in corneal issues), or a Contact Lens Tech/Optician that actually fits contact lenses on a regular basis. Recommend observing at least 10-20 patients corneas and CL fits. Practice using a manual keratometer and slit lamp.

You may also go on POF's Facebook page and read previous comments and posts regarding the new NCSORB exam and content. Be aware, there have been some major issues going on with the exam since it was implemented and it's not perfect but I do think it is a better way to test and it makes getting a license much faster. Good luck and I hope this helps in your becoming FL licensed again.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you so much for the response. I appreciate the time you took to give me some insight on what may be useful. It is very frustrating to have to take an unknown test with out direction on how to preparre for it. Florida used to have a wonderful weekend study/prep for taking the boards but now....nothing. I just don't want to spend quality time studying material that isn't even on the test.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nasticsmom View Post
    It is great that florida wants to raise the bar for Opticians. It would, however, be nice that the salary would compensate for the new skills needed. I was disappointed last time I worked in Fl. that my pay was $10 an hour less then what I made in NJ. I pray that that has changed in the last 6 years.
    Nasticsmom,
    I took ABO & NCLE (is what they were called a little more then 30yrs ago) And sat for my Florida Boards after doing my three year apprenticeship. Even went on to become Florida Board Certified so I can do what ever I want with contact lenses. Change BC, Dia, material, soft, hard, brands. I can do what I want with a contact lens. I just cant change the power.
    Now this was all after I spent two years in college in Alabama studying Optics.
    One thing I have learned for sure, any time I went for a job interview in the state of Florida the only thing I was ever asked was if I had a valid Florida Opticians license. I was never asked about ABO or NCLE or Board Certification. Getting lots of education makes you feel good and it cannot be taken away from you. But none the less, bottom line from a potential employer in Florida will be, "Do you have a Opticians license?" That is what you are being paid for down here. Your knowledge and experience is a side benefit and can quickly disqualify you from a job on the basis of being "over qualified" and "to hard to train in the corporate line of thinking."
    Far as the rate of pay over the last few in FL vs NJ. I bet NJ still has us beat because I perceive the cost of living up there is way more then FL.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Nasticsmom,
    I took ABO & NCLE (is what they were called a little more then 30yrs ago) And sat for my Florida Boards after doing my three year apprenticeship. Even went on to become Florida Board Certified so I can do what ever I want with contact lenses. Change BC, Dia, material, soft, hard, brands. I can do what I want with a contact lens. I just cant change the power.
    Now this was all after I spent two years in college in Alabama studying Optics.
    One thing I have learned for sure, any time I went for a job interview in the state of Florida the only thing I was ever asked was if I had a valid Florida Opticians license. I was never asked about ABO or NCLE or Board Certification. Getting lots of education makes you feel good and it cannot be taken away from you. But none the less, bottom line from a potential employer in Florida will be, "Do you have a Opticians license?" That is what you are being paid for down here. Your knowledge and experience is a side benefit and can quickly disqualify you from a job on the basis of being "over qualified" and "to hard to train in the corporate line of thinking."
    Far as the rate of pay over the last few in FL vs NJ. I bet NJ still has us beat because I perceive the cost of living up there is way more then FL.
    I assume you weren't asked about your ABO/NCLE because it is requirement in order to sit for the Florida boards and therefore presumed that you have it if you have your License. As far as the pay... NJ does have a pretty decent pay scale but I have lived in Florida (clearwater area) and the cost of living in NJ was very close to the cost of living in in tampa bay area. The pay scales however were not similar :(

Thread Information