Thread: Strange thing !!!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Strange thing !!!

In here we are a lot of optometrist from worldwide, if you ask what brand we prefer these different answers will come:

Essilor
    Shamir
    Zeiss
    Rodenstock
    Hoya
    Seiko
    Sola

and more....

how come that every optometrist swear to a different brand, are they all "the same" and how come that there are never a time where all optometrist said, at the moment "this lens" is the best,
    (maybe when essilor comfort came on the market, there was a very large portion of optometrist that said this is the best product at the moment. but the last 20 Years ?

any ideas why it is like this ?

Best Regards
    Peter

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes i know its not Easy not answer

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why does every parent think that their child is the brightest?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Its not a child its a brand and you can change it, so the comparison don´t fit ;-)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok...how about...

People stick with what they know, and what has worked for them in the past. Many don't seek out better/different products when they already have something that is good; even if it's just "good enough".

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    if we can agree on that ( i can) why debate it any more if it is only "religion" ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr Powers, why do you use different brand contact lenses. You may successfully fit brand A on the majority of your patients. Another OD in another part of the world will successfully fit brand B on the majority of his patients.

The way I see it there is not "debate" about which lens is better. It is a lot of ideas being tossed out there to help each other through the many different cases we all come across.

And at times its best not to try and make a mountain out of a mole hill. Just keep it simple try not to over think the simple challenges that come your way.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    its great to debate cases

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would have to say, depending on the patient in front of you, and their visual needs, each of the brands you listed above could possibly be "the best" lens brand. It should be about the patients needs/rx, not the brand. I don't stick with one particular lens for everyone, I select which lens based on the patients rx, lifestyle, and budget.

I believe Johns has brilliantly stated how most of us feel about "brands". I would tend to think most of us use (call our favorite) what is available to us, and what product we have sufficient knowledge of. I'll admit, there are probably a couple "brands" I have not used/gained knowlege of, and am sufficiently "happy" with what I carry. Just my 2 cents.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post
    I would have to say, depending on the patient in front of you, and their visual needs, each of the brands you listed above could possibly be "the best" lens brand. It should be about the patients needs/rx, not the brand. I don't stick with one particular lens for everyone, I select which lens based on the patients rx, lifestyle, and budget.
    That's been my experience also. Last week, in one day, I ordered PALs from three of the manufacturers on the OP's list (Zeiss, Shamir, and Essilor), with two of the clients benefitting visually, the third receiving a cost benefit w/o visual disadvantage.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Apprentice lightbender27's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Agreed. I think alot of it is psychological anyhow. Whatever the rep or selling tools tell you coupled with what you've used in the past. We always had a guinea pig person, a family member, who we used to give surveys to when fitting them with a new lens. We never told them anything about what this new lens was supposed to improve. That way we could get and idea of what the differences were based on patient feedback. And yes, they has 15 pair. lol.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lightbender27 View Post
    Agreed. I think alot of it is psychological anyhow. Whatever the rep or selling tools tell you coupled with what you've used in the past. We always had a guinea pig person, a family member, who we used to give surveys to when fitting them with a new lens. We never told them anything about what this new lens was supposed to improve. That way we could get and idea of what the differences were based on patient feedback. And yes, they has 15 pair. lol.
    Isn't that supposed to be what those vouchers are for?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Powers View Post
    In here we are a lot of optometrist from worldwide, if you ask what brand we prefer these different answers will come:

Essilor
    Shamir
    Zeiss
    Rodenstock
    Hoya
    Seiko
    Sola

and more....

how come that every optometrist swear to a different brand, are they all "the same" and how come that there are never a time where all optometrist said, at the moment "this lens" is the best,
    (maybe when essilor comfort came on the market, there was a very large portion of optometrist that said this is the best product at the moment. but the last 20 Years ?

any ideas why it is like this ?

Best Regards
    Peter
    Imagine this as being a "Car talk". There will be many people with a certain preference for some good reasons, this being us, we may share this good experience with our client and hence our "car" onto them.

Now imagine different clients, some will be happy to just have any car that gets them 5 kilometers far, while others will be high demanding. In the end it is always up to the preferences of people. But what if the car you tested yourself, was not actually the best car you could enjoy driving the most? :)

I don't think there was an extensive research done with people being able to test X progressive designs and then decide what they feel best in. I personally like Hoya, would it fit every patient? No, there may be some people who may be happier with something else, but overall the success rate will be really high that you hit with Hoya :) Also as far as innovation I like Hoya the best.

Just my 2cp :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Sometimes there are financial advantages for doing a large percentage of business with one lens manufacturer.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Ok...how about...

People stick with what they know, and what has worked for them in the past. Many don't seek out better/different products when they already have something that is good; even if it's just "good enough".
    Johns.......the problem, at least on the optical side, is that most Opticians have such poor training that they only have sales skills, and no real interest in learning more than that. ODs are now more versed in the medical side of the house and these issues are not really important them. So you hit on the answer, in my opinion.........it is what they have always done. When the vast majority of Opticians can't understand basic optics, one would not expect them to understand these higher profile progressive designs. It is a shame.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Why does every parent think that their child is the brightest?
    Because mine are.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For me, it is what I am familiar with, I know the lenses and know the materials, as well as know the availability, it is what I have been trained on. My doctors and the others in my office are familiar with it as well. Plus it is what they did here before I was here. I do try to break out of the comfort box and try new products.
    their is a lot out their and it can become confusing and overwhelming.

Thread Information