Thread: Keep photo(s) of the frame in patient file / insurance labs problems

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Keep photo(s) of the frame in patient file / insurance labs problems

This week I got 2 jobs back from different insurance run labs. Both have something quite wrong.

The job sent to Davis Vision lab came back with wrong lens shapes. These lenses were forced into the frame and hence damaged the frame.

The job sent to Spectera lab came back with bridge been replaced (or in less possible case, been paint black). It's a drill mount frame with silver bridge/temples (which is the special reason they select the frame). The worst about this job is, the lab did not communicate with us about the problem. It was so embarrassed to have the patient point out the problem.

With these 2 cases, I started to wonder how many of u document the pt file with frame photo(s)? I know I will soon doing so.
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Those two places are by FAR the WORST things in optical.... they are beyond the suck!

Constant issues with davis, and I now order lenses and cut them myself. Altho just today I had a poly waiting to be picked up, went to dispense and it had a stress crack 10mm long... Junk material....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why do you continue to accept the plan?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Why do you continue to accept the plan?
    Just necessary evil. Don't have too many of them anyway. There are still pt want "free" insurance covered eyeware.
    These ins co are "stealing" ECP's revenue left and right.
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They're not just stealing revenue, they're stealing your reputation as well.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote of the Day!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    AS of today we are going to pursue not taking D anymore... now they canceled an order on us and didnt even tell us till we called to find out why its not done... they lied and said we called 3 times to cancel it... BS!

I refuse to let our reputation and brand be smeared by the worthless company!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My employees would walk out on me if I signed up for Davis. I know this because they've told me.
    (Not that I want to take it, but I did mention it as a joke once.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    AS of today we are going to pursue not taking D anymore... now they canceled an order on us and didnt even tell us till we called to find out why its not done... they lied and said we called 3 times to cancel it... BS!

I think that you are doing the right thing, which is doing what is best for the patient, and the delivery of optical goods of good visual quality in a timely fashion. Anything less is a detriment to your practice and a detriment to the profession.
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    = well said

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1vo View Post
    Just necessary evil. Don't have too many of them anyway. There are still pt want "free" insurance covered eyeware.
    These ins co are "stealing" ECP's revenue left and right.
    Evil, yes. Necessary, no. Drop those plans Paul, and live the joy we all know. Its not worth it, its the Optical equivelent of driving a Yugo. Sure you can pick one up cheap, and sure it may still work when you arrive. But when you do, was it worth the stress and shame?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We tell all that we are proud to be part of the 3% left in the industry who does not take insurance so we can do the proper, fair job for every patient. No need to worry about the plan of the day; we just tell them it is cash, credit card or a check.
    We have just started to promote the fact that our eye exams are different because we do not take insurance.

We are having our best year and we have been open over 14 years, so it can work if you are committed to it.

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post

They did something similar to us, a patients glasses were taking almost a month, and we had called to check on it multiple times and got the run around. when the patient called davis said to them "oh they didn't even put the order in until a week ago" the last time we had called. i showed the patient the order form from the original date to prove that we wouldn't slack THAT bad haha ... it was reeeeeeeeediculous
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have one person at the one lab we use ensure all our work goes smoothly. She is given nice gifts thru the year and we never have to call the lab unless it is to just say Hi!
    So glad we do not take insurance and can do 99% of our own edging.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Do you realize that with the Affordable Obama Care Act, all insurance plans sold in the new exchanges on Jan 1 2014 will include a mandate that they include a children's eye exam? And in some states it will include children's glasses?

United Healthcare is a big player, and they will use their Spectera arm to fulfill the mandate. That means every family who opts for UHC and has kids that needs glasses will be using Spectera.

Will you change your mind for that?

And OD offices: if they make Spectera provider status mandatory in order to stay a UHC provider, are you going to play along?

Tough choices.

Thread Information