Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Quality Memory Metal Frames - Do They Exist?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    After welding do they reheat the whole frame so the metal is back "in phase"?

A friend who is a metallurgist once told me that is why titanium (not just memory metal) frames break at places like the nasal eyewire.

I've always assumed the cost of this extra step was more than the limited number of returned warrantied replacements.

Yes, the manufacturers supposed to reheat the whole frame after welding. Consistent temperature heating and proper timely control is the key to keep the best property of memory condition. Any skip will cause the alloy snap in half like dry noodle!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The best flex titanium frames are made in Japan, any where else is substandard.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Memory metals are a good marketing ploy but certainly not unbreakable. They were bad news and a disappointment to many consumers.
    Funny thing about those consumers. No one in my office ever says the word "unbreakable," yet so many of our clients seem to hear that word...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Funny thing about those consumers. No one in my office ever says the word "unbreakable," yet so many of our clients seem to hear that word...
    the same way they hear "scratch proof" when we say "scratch resistance" all day long. If you don't nip it in the bud right away its a nasty can of worms that just busted open.
    Bet if we ever gave them something that would not ever break or ever scratch the next thing they would want a lens that changed Rx by its self to keep up with their eye changes.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    wow, thats amazing, how many years have you been dispensing the charmant CFX without seeing one break?
    Iagree that Charmant knows how to make memory metal. Remember, they always made it for Marchon. Lots of experience !

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just refreshing this thread I started a year and a half ago...what has been your experience with Silver Dollar's flex offerings as compared to say Charmant or Autoflex?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

I am wondering why opticians want to have it easy ........

I am wondering why opticians want to have it easy wilt all these gimmicks like memory metals.

A good basic alloy will always be a good material. It should be the opticians job to educate their customers how one does handle a pair of glasses properly and not sell them something that can withstand an airplane crash...............the lenses will be dead anyhow.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead Daddy View Post
    BTW, I was skeptical at how Line Art would do in our practice. I thought it was over-priced. Flying off the shelves. I guess some people can sense quality when they see it.
    Same here, got it on the reps advice and I love it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I am wondering why opticians want to have it easy wilt all these gimmicks like memory metals.

A good basic alloy will always be a good material. It should be the opticians job to educate their customers how one does handle a pair of glasses properly and not sell them something that can withstand an airplane crash...............the lenses will be dead anyhow.
    Very good point. Some looks for "those indestructible glasses" I tell them they don't exist. Nothing is scratch, break, wear, or kid proof. We like to use the word resistant a lot. That way the Patients knows it puts the possibility of breakage on them not the materials.

Stainless is my durable material of choice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    Very good point. Some looks for "those indestructible glasses" I tell them they don't exist. Nothing is scratch, break, wear, or kid proof. We like to use the word resistant a lot. That way the Patients knows it puts the possibility of breakage on them not the materials.
    I agree. I tell my patients you can break everything and you can scratch everything...but this would be more durable than that etc. Everything can be broken and nothing is scratch proof.

Thread Information